Uncharted: The Games

WitAndAWhip

The new desert MP locale looks stunning. I love the idea of playing in a sandstorm if thats what it turns out to be. The Train Wreck is probably my favorite MP map from UC2, largely b/c of the lack of visibility.

I just preordered the Collector's Edition tho I'm a little dissapointed we're not getting the same one as Europe. Still, it'll be worth it. Can't believe how close we're getting.

Le Saboteur

Just a couple of minor updates this time out. Apparently unsatisfied with the five-odd million games Among Thieves sold, Sony & Naughty Dog continue to branch out into other mediums to advertise. First up, the Subway Taste For Adventure Sweepstakes!

A forward thinking member of the official Naughty Dog forum had the idea to email Subway about the upcoming promo, and here's what he got in reply.

The SUBWAY® Taste For Adventure Sweepstakes & Instant Win Game starts 9/29/11 at 12:00 P.M., ET and ends 11/13/11 at 11:59:59 P.M., ET. Below is a brief description of the GWP (Gifts With Purchase) access.

GWP Cup Code Description – (while supplies last)

*Cup Code Entry & Redemption Prior to 11/1/11: Voucher Passcode for early Access to the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Competitive Multiplayer Experience or choice of Voucher Passcode described below.
*Cup Code Entry After 10/31/11: Voucher Passcode allowing you to play DCUO on your PC at the Premium Level Free for 7 consecutive days, as more fully described above or choice of Voucher Passcode described below.

GWP Sandwich or Chip Code Description – (while supplies last)

*Voucher Passcode for an UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ dynamic theme
*Voucher Passcode for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Fortune Hunter Bounty
*Voucher Passcode for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Multiplayer Drake Character Skin
*Voucher Passcode for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception™ Multiplayer Weapon Skin
*Voucher Passcode for SUBWAY® Taste For Adventure Cup and SUBWAY® Sandwich virtual costumes for PlayStation® Home

Please be aware that in the event you are the Recipient of one (1) of
The Gifts, the use of this Gift requires a PS3™ system AND a valid PlayStation® Network account.

Naughty Dog & Sony have yet to confirm or deny these details, but the post has been up for a few days now and it hasn't been stricken from the forum yet. I'm inclined to think it's legitimate, but time will tell.

Another exclusive has been officially announced for Gamestop customers. This time around, they're adding an exclusive Penny Arcade-style poster to everybody who pre-orders the standard or collector's edition.

6136759611_4208f70941_z.jpg

Japan is getting an exclusive Uncharted 3 branded controller. Nothing to be overly sad about here; the design is less than interesting in my opinion. I expected better.

DS3_UNCHARTED_controller_front.jpg

ps3-uncharted-dualshock-controller-02.jpg

Some bloggers have expressed the opinion that it belongs in a Lord of the Rings game over the Uncharted series. I agree to a large extent, but it's the two-tone approach that really detracts from the design.

Game Trailers TV stopped in at Naughty Dog's Santa Monica headquarters last Friday to have a chat with Nathan Drake himself, Nolan North. Skip ahead about ten minutes to get the Nolan North interview.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:episode:gametrailers.com:131" width="640" height="390" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed></div>

You can also check out the first tv spot below.

Le Saboteur

For those of you who still follow this thread, I hope you're enjoying yourselves. By now, you're familiar with Amy Hennig, Naughty Dog's Creative Director. She recently sat down for a few minutes with the folks at Qore to talk about her path into the gaming industry plus a bit on Drake's Deception.

Very minimal spoilers here. It's mostly recycled footage from Among Thieves, and stuff we've already seen from Drake's Deception. There is one interesting item, but it goes by fairly quickly. And, no, I won't tell you where it is.

The most important take away from this video for me is something we've discussed before -- the action-adventure genre is critically under served in the gaming arena despite being the next logical home for it. Tomb Raider made a splash and coasted through a decade of mediocre titles before being forced to revamp itself. Our beloved Dr. Jones, on the other hand, has suffered from spectacularly poor management combined with neglect making him an also ran in the genre he's become synonymous with for thirty years now.

In essence, Naughty Dog had to blaze the trail Lucas Arts couldn't be bothered to do.

The Drifter

Le Saboteur said:
For those of you who still follow this thread, I hope you're enjoying yourselves.

Of course I still follow this thread. I enjoy every update you post regarding the Uncharted series. Just know that some of us do read this thread every time it's updated!

Le Saboteur

The Drifter said:
Of course I still follow this thread. I enjoy every update you post regarding the Uncharted series. Just know that some of us do read this thread every time it's updated!

(y) Even though it feels like I'm talking to a wall, that's good to know.

For those in the Commonwealth countries who are going to get the Explorer's Edition, Playstation Australia has just released a video. While not nearly as amusing as the North American release with Nolan North, it certainly beats nothing.

After two games and nil in the way of merchandise, it seems that Sony & Naughty Dog really are trying to hit all markets. On the heels of the Eric Scarecrow vinyl figures and the Sideshow Collectibles statue, comes this figure by Square-Enix's toy division, Play Arts-Kai.

Uncharted-3-Nathan-Drake-Play-Arts--Kai_1311123295.jpg

Mezco Toyz is also getting in on the act with this statue(?) based on the game's cover art.

Uncharted-3-Nathan-Drake-Mezco_1311123295.jpg

The Play Arts-Kai figurine is where it's at in my opinion! Also out there (and available from Amazon and other on-line retailers) are these Uncharted minimates. The two pack features Nathan Drake and Chloe Frazer in their Among Thieves garb. Just don't ask me what a minimate is for or why the exist.

uncharted.jpg

Last edited:

WitAndAWhip

The Drifter said:
As do I. I'm really looking forward to this game and having all the updates here has been great, as opposed to scavenging the internet myself.

I did come across one other interesting tidbit while browsing on amazon tho. Did you guys know there's an Uncharted novel coming out in October? I don't know anything about the author but it reminds me of the Indy books and I'll probably give it a look.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Fou...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316106949&sr=1-1

Le Saboteur

Great Golden Abyss developer's walkthrough video with commentary. The fine folks at Bend Studio are really trying to stay true to the world of Uncharted, and largely succeeding. South American mercenaries even conveniently speak in heavily accented English instead of Spanish!

Give it a look below! Note the addition of the machete (that you can hopefully use in melee combat). So far Marissa Chase seems to be quite different from Chloe and Elena.

We also now know the villain's name. Well, sort of. It sounds like they're calling him Guerro. Though it could be Guerrero, but I don't think so.

Le Saboteur

If you've been paying attention to on-line component of Drake's Deception, then you're at least passingly familiar with the images posted earlier from the the "Sand Village." While browsing earlier, I came across some short footage from that map.

Nothing spoiler-like here. Feel free to watch.

The main take away for me is the "throw away" effect of bullets hitting sand. Naughty Dog definitely hasn't missed out on this little detail. If they can manage to include just how difficult it is to walk on sand during the single-player or multi-player, then who knows what else they have in store!

WitAndAWhip said:
Did you guys know there's an Uncharted novel coming out in October? I don't know anything about the author but it reminds me of the Indy books and I'll probably give it a look.

I did! I mentioned it a few pages back, but didn't have anything to mention except for the initial press release! Thanks for posting the link, though! Now we know what the cover is going to look like.

Dig.

uncharted-3-wallpaper-the-fourth-labyrinth-646x768.jpg

From the publisher's site:

Random House said:
In the ancient world there was a myth about a king, a treasure, and a hellish labyrinth. Now the doors to that hell are open once again.

Nathan Drake, treasure hunter and risk taker, has been called to New York City by the man who taught him everything about the ?antiquities acquisition business.? Victor Sullivan needs Drake?s help. Sully?s old friend, a world-famous archaeologist, has just been found murdered in Manhattan. Dodging assassins, Drake, Sully, and the dead man?s daughter, Jada Hzujak, race from New York to underground excavations in Egypt and Greece. Their goal: to unravel an ancient myth of alchemy, look for three long-lost labyrinths, and find the astonishing discovery that got Jada?s father killed. It appears that a fourth labyrinth was built in another land and another culture?and within it lies a key to unmatched wealth and power. An army of terrifying lost warriors guards this underground maze. So does a monster. And what lies beyond?if Drake can live long enough to reach it?is both a treasure and a poison, a paradise and a hell.

Welcome to The Fourth Labyrinth.

There's a blurb about the author here. While I've never heard of Mr. Golden or any of his published works, I'll probably get a copy. The plot doesn't sound horrible like I initially thought.

Now if we could get some information on Drake's Journal that Nolan North announced at the San Diego Comic Con!

File this under novelty. (y)

u3-sandcastle.jpeg

Naughty Dog had this created for the Interactive & Digital Entertainment Festival held this past June in Cannes, France.

Le Saboteur

If you haven't already seen the announcement, Naughty Dog Co-President, Christophe Balestra announced on Twitter that the Drake's Deception Subway Multi-player Demo will be about 4 gigs. That's pretty hefty.

Though, considering that the Beta was roughly 2 gigs, I don't think this will be the "full and complete" multi-player experience. I'm assuming that it'll be a few new maps with maybe another three characters. I could be wrong. We shall see in ten days now!

That said, there are five Subway locations within a mile of my residence. Yes, five. It's ridiculous, I know. Almost as ridiculous as the fact that the same guy owns twenty-five(!) of them. No wonder it's the fastest growing fast food chain in the world.

Anyway, I know there are some international fans out there who would be interested in acquiring early access to the multi-player component a month early. Since it's increasingly unlikely that the rest of the world will get the opportunity to do so, I'm willing to pick up a few extra codes as I can. My expense. Even if you're a fellow Norte Americano who doesn't live near a Subway, let me know. I'll be happy to pick up one for you as well.

The offer stands. If you'd like a code, please drop me a PM or comment on this thread.

Please note that the promotion might be region specific, so I can't guarantee that said code will be compatible with your version of the PSN.

uncharted-3.jpg

On a related note, Amazon has had the Collector's Edition Box Art up for a while now. An eagle-eyed fan noted that the install requirements on the box just might be 1 Gig. All things are subject to change, of course. Just be sure to have that much available on the hard drive come November 1st.

2zhk5xs.jpg

33ur2q9.jpg

WitAndAWhip

Even the box for the CE is really well done...And you're right, they're definitely capitalizing on all the hype this time around.

So once you guys get your hands on the game are you going to jump into the multi-player or head straight for the story? As much as I'm looking forward to the MP aspect, the single-player campaign is what has me really juiced.

That said, we should set up a MP game for everyone who's been following on this board the week it comes out. :gun:

The Drifter

I'm only worried about the single-player. I play the Uncharted games for that reason alone. I love them, but I really do fear they are becoming too much like the Cal of Duty franchise. Too focused on MP with the campaign as an afterthought. Not every game needs to have MP.

WitAndAWhip

The Drifter said:
I'm only worried about the single-player. I play the Uncharted games for that reason alone. I love them, but I really do fear they are becoming too much like the Cal of Duty franchise. Too focused on MP with the campaign as an afterthought. Not every game needs to have MP.
There's no doubt Uncharted would still be a great series w/o the MP element. The original Uncharted might have been my favorite game ever at the time but that doesn't take away from the fact that ND has done an absolutely phenomenal job w/the MP. Honestly, I don't really get into that aspect of most games but UC2 was outstanding on both fronts.

I think the team at ND would be the 1st to admit that it's still a story-driven game, and hopefully always will be.

Le Saboteur

Massive.

6170970818_c7b0d088e7_z.jpg

Well, not exactly. It'd be massive if there was a special edition design or color scheme to go along with this bundle. As it is, the Playstation Blog is reporting that "This limited edition bundle brings together the action and adventure of UNCHARTED 3 with a 320GB PlayStation 3 system. On top of that, we’re giving you a month of PlayStation Plus."

And all they're asking for is $299. Not a bad deal. Check with your local brick & mortar retailer, but it'll probably be released the same day as Drake's Deception, 1/11/11.

Hey Canadians! Check out this contest! Voting closes on the 23rd of September -- that's Friday, by the way -- so vote early, vote often!

Playstation Canada said:
Here's your chance to join an action-packed treasure hunt through the Arabian Desert inspired by UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception! PlayStation Canada would like to offer one lucky winner and a guest the opportunity to become real-life treasure hunters.

Taking place in the dramatic backdrops featured in UNCHARTED 3, our Canadian winner will be competing against adventurers from across Europe, the Middle East and Australasia to win the title of UNCHARTED Treasure Hunter, with $10,000 worth of prizes to be won along the way. The action-packed quest will take place in the Arabian Desert, following in the footsteps of Nathan Drake as he picks up the trail of Sir Francis Drake and T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia).

Starting from an outfitted UNCHARTED 3 base camp, a traditional Bedouin settlement in Wadi Rum, competitors will trek across the sand dunes of Aqaba on a quest to uncover hidden treasure. Travelling by jeep, by camel and on foot, the fortune hunters will follow a series of clues to uncover hidden artifacts, picking up treasure along the way that they can later exchange for prizes. Contestants will climb up to the Al Shallaleh waterfall, pass the Khazali Canyon, and stop off at T.E. Lawrence’s house, facing a different challenge at every turn.

All puzzles and challenges have been created by adventurer and survival expert, John Sullivan (don’t call him Sully!), whose experience has made him an invaluable adviser on many expeditions worldwide in some of the most inaccessible corners of the globe. The activity will reflect the type of challenges that Nathan Drake experiences in UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception, solving clues and deciphering puzzles in search of the grand prize. With $10,000 worth of prizes at stake, John will be an independent adjudicator, ensuring that the competition is judged fairly, and guaranteeing the most skilled adventurer walks away with the gold!

WitAndAWhip said:
So once you guys get your hands on the game are you going to jump into the multi-player or head straight for the story? As much as I'm looking forward to the MP aspect, the single-player campaign is what has me really juiced.

I'll probably have my fill of the multi-player component from the Subway promotion. And by fill, I mean I'll probably be tired of it and never pick it up again.

That said, I'm only really interested in the campaign/story/single-player. Anything else is strictly lagniappe.

If you have friends who have not yet experienced Uncharted, now's the time to start! Both games were released earlier this month for forty bucks!

Le Saboteur

The Eurogamer convention is underway in Londres this weekend, and Naughty Dog is there as expected with Drake's Deception in hand. First up, a video from a new level -- the Desert!

The first couple of minutes are behind-the-scenes footage that already debuted at the San Diego Comic Con. The rest, however, I didn't watch. I'd rather not know anymore than I already do.

Ye be properly warned says I.

Here's a short interview with Nolan North, once again talking about how he got into voice over work in video games.

Here's a later build of the multiplayer "Sand Village" level. Note the sand and debris flying about.

One of these things is not like the other...

6171943014_be764b6283_z.jpg

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

This is pretty nifty. If you remember back a couple of years, you might remember that Naughty Dog & Sony put together an advance screening/play session for Among Thieves at select Landmark Theatres around the country.

Well, they're at it again! Except this time they've upgraded to the AMC chain of theatres! Which, I guess you have to do when you're the big kid on the block.

AMC Theatres said:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception: PLAY IT FIRST IN 3D

On October 18, 19, 20, take part in a one-of-a-kind entertainment experience from PlayStation. UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception: PLAY IT FIRST IN 3D is happening exclusively at select AMC Theatres. This is your chance to play one of the most highly-anticipated video game releases of the year on the big screen and in 3D before it releases. These unique events include:

An inside look at the game from the development team at Naughty Dog
A multiplayer tournament
In-theatre gaming shown on the big screen in 3D
PlayStation and Sony prize giveaways all night long

Get the game before it releases with the UNCHARTED 3 Premium Pass.*

Tickets are on sale now while supplies last, so get yours today!

General Admission: $25
UNCHARTED 3 Premium Pass: $60

Participating Theatres:

San Francisco: AMC Metreon 16
Los Angeles: AMC Century City 15
Washington D.C.: AMC Tyson’s Corner 16
New York City: AMC Lincoln Square 13
Dallas: AMC Northpark 15

I'll be there. It's good to live in Sony's backyard. The full press release is available here, but it doesn't look like you can buy tickets online. You'll need to go in person.

Le Saboteur

Just a few things from 'round the 'net before I pack it in for the night. First up, Arne Meyer has made an official post regarding the AMC Theatres Drake's Deception event. You can read about it here at the Playstation Blog.

6175365073_b52b41f3ce_z.jpg

Nothing really new was mentioned, but Arne did say in the comments that each of the three days will feature roughly the same gameplay. I take that to mean that they'll feature the same multi-player maps, but single player demos might vary slightly depending on how the demo-er performs.

Also of note, the fine folks at esc toys have finally released the first image of the regular edition Nathan Drake figurine! Dig it, hep cats:

u3-Drake-OG-REVEAL.jpg

They're still taking pre-orders for the normal edition and the limited "Naughty Dog" edition over here.

Continuing with the artwork theme going on here, check out these concept art images that have found their way onto the net!

318_large.jpg

134_large.jpg

376_large.jpg

035_large.jpg

Higher resolution images can be found right over here.

Le Saboteur

We're getting ever closer to the Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception Taste For Adventure promotion at Subway! It seems that some Subway's have already set up their displays while others have started to dole out the oh so precious cups.

2qmdb2d.jpg

rvzi3c.jpg

Personally, I'm quite curious about these so-called "epic" trips one could possibly win. I haven't heard anything about this aspect except in passing.

My above offer is still on the table for anyone remotely interested. Now, I better find a participating Subway.

The Drifter

I love that concept art.
Now, we've seen Nate riding a black horse in one of the demos, and the concept art hints at a motorcycle. This game feels like Crusade to me. What with those small throwbacks and Nate and Sully's relationship being explored more.
I know Sully isn't Nate's father, but he's more of a father than Nate ever had. So, Drake's Deception will also have the father/son story like Crusade.

On another note, there's also this image that was found in the beta code.
316989_214607678603347_124203117643804_607722_1692510770_n.jpg

The Subway cups look nice. I usually eat at Subway often, and will make a run there within the next few days, or maybe even this evening!

-----

Found some comparison shots between Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3.
http://vghq.net/2011/03/07/uncharted-3-and-uncharted-2-comparison-shows-ps3s-sheer-power/

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

The Drifter said:
This game feels like Crusade to me... snip.

I know what you're driving at, but I really hope it's nothing like Crusade in terms of a.) gameplay and b.) attitude. Crusade was the dividing line between the Indiana Jones we knew and loved to... well, whatever it was we got in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The Drifter said:
On another note, there's also this image that was found in the beta code.

Nice find Drifter! I hadn't seen that image before. Heading out into those kinds of waves in a zodiac is the craziest thing Drake has ever done!

On a different note, I've been looking for word official regarding Nolan North's behind-the-scenes book, Drake's Journal. While I've never heard of the company that's putting it out, they're saying all the right things thus far. To wit,

128 pages!
"Coffee Table" book quality!
Collectors Edition, Limited, and Regular Editions available!
Stories we won't believe! Written by Nolan North.

They've even released a couple "sneak peak" images to whet your appetite! Check them out below.

Cover.jpg

Prologue.jpg

Squibs.jpg

Looks like it has potential. I just hope that the cover image is merely a placeholder or an inside title sheet, not the actual cover.

Le Saboteur

It's bad, fellas. Trust me. It's complete hokum. Well, maybe not complete hokum, but it is corny. Check out the article on The USA Today site for the full details and the promotional video.

You can also (finally!) visit the redeem site over here. The list of trips that you can win is pretty awesome too. To wit,

England
France
Dubai
Nepal
Costa Rica

Despite the lack of early press, Subway seems to have put a lot of muscle behind this promotion.

Last edited: