Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

The Drifter

HJTHX1138 said:
Been curious about that myself.

Anybody try the HD remakes?

If you're a fan of old-school survival-horror, than I highly recommend this. I'm about 4-5 hours in, and am now limping around with barely any health, and only a rock to fend off any enemies, and there are like three of them just around the corner where I last played.

Sure, this type of game may turn the kids who play CoD off, but for me; I love it! I haven't come across one firearm yet, only weapons like shovels, rakes, and hammers (which will break after a few uses).

The battle-system is a little clunky, but if you have played the past SH games or even the old Resident Evil games, you'll be just fine.
The atmosphere is TOP-NOTCH! That and the exploring and trying to just survive each encounter is what makes these games so special to me.
(A more in-depth impression is incoming when I beat the game.)

And as for your question, I haven't had the chance to try the HD Silent Hills. They aren't remakes in a sense, just updated visuals.

The Drifter

I apologize for the double-post, but I said I would post my impression of Silent Hill: Downpour after I had beaten the game.

Graphics: Not the best that I've ever seen, but they look pretty damn good. Expect to see a lot of greys, browns, and blacks, but those colors fit the world and give the game so much mood. I did notice some screen-tearing here and there, and also the game has issues of slow-down when entering a new room, but I never seen it during combat.

Controls: The combat can be a bit sluggish, but I quickly got used to it, and had no problem. Also combat just consists of hit/block, so it really has no depth at all, but it felt fun; and that's all that matters in the end.
Running is mapped to it's own button that you have to hold down, which isn't a big issue in a game like this.

Sound: There's a lack of music during playtime, and the opening theme is done by Korn (bleh), but the sound-effects are great. I played this with a Turtle Beach headphone for my PS3, and heard every drop of water, creak of a floorboard, and other great little details that suck you into the game's world.

Story: The story was interesting, but left me wanting more. It's not nearly as good as Silent Hill 2, but it works. The first ending that I got sucked hard, but I replayed through a certain section and got a much more satisfying one.

Overall: Silent Hill: Downpour is a decent game. I had fun with it, and it kept me coming back; so that is a very good thing. It's very slow paced (which if you're a fan of that - it's a good thing) and the scares are plenty. I'd rate it a 8/10

Up next is The Darkness II.

Finn

Staff member
Just a quick heads up.

If you'd like a free digital (and yes, legal) copy of the original Fallout (yes that one which was released when your grandfather was still in his infancy) head here and register before midnight (GMT) on March 8th. An assortment of other goodies available as well. All you need is a valid e-mail address.

Also, sorry for sounding like a damn snake oil merchant. But this one's all above board.

<small>And no, I'm not affiliated either. But I did sign up as an organ donor solely for these guys.</small>

HJTHX1138

The Drifter said:
If you're a fan of old-school survival-horror, than I highly recommend this. I'm about 4-5 hours in, and am now limping around with barely any health, and only a rock to fend off any enemies, and there are like three of them just around the corner where I last played.

Sure, this type of game may turn the kids who play CoD off, but for me; I love it! I haven't come across one firearm yet, only weapons like shovels, rakes, and hammers (which will break after a few uses).

The battle-system is a little clunky, but if you have played the past SH games or even the old Resident Evil games, you'll be just fine.
The atmosphere is TOP-NOTCH! That and the exploring and trying to just survive each encounter is what makes these games so special to me.
(A more in-depth impression is incoming when I beat the game.)

And as for your question, I haven't had the chance to try the HD Silent Hills. They aren't remakes in a sense, just updated visuals.

Thanks.

I've heard mixed reviews, but I want to give it a shot for myself . . . and the way you put it does sound good.

I'm currently glued to my other comp with the Diablo III Beta . . . I pre-ordered the special edition yesterday :eek:.

Le Saboteur

I rarely attend midnight releases because I a.) hardly buy games anymore and b.) there isn't anything that can't wait until the next day. That said, I dropped in on my local Gamestop where about a hundred guys turned out for Diablo III's release.

Well, except for me. I was there for Max Payne 3.

I wasn't initially going to pick it up, but I was intrigued by the extra work Rockstar had seemingly put into making into a sold third-person shooter. Plus, the setting has a lot going for it.

So far the game is definitely a cut and a half about Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne which I found underwhelming. It's up there with the original outing and outshines it in terms of storytelling.

I'm two chapters in currently and the only complaint I currently have is that some of the shooting mechanics seem to be a bit clumsy. It doesn't have the responsiveness of, say, Uncharted: Drake's Deception.

If you can manage to stop slaying hell's minions for while pick it up.

Goodsport

For those who either have or are planning to get FIFA Soccer 12, the UEFA Euro 2012 DLC (or for those who play on the PC, the expansion pack) is now available. :cool:

Actually, it's been available for a few weeks now but I just got around to getting it. ;) In any case, there's still plenty of time to play it and crown a winner before the actual tourney starts less than a month from now.

-G

Last edited:

michael

Goodsport said:
Played this the other night.

If you have a PS3, you need to play this. No words can describe how your playthrough will go. And you NEED to play it through in one sitting for best results. Around 2 hours, but it has plenty of re-playability.

Honestly one of the greatest video game experiences of my life. Weird to say, but I don't care.

HenryJunior

Lego Indiana Jones BOO-YAH....lol:D
Well re-playing rather, I haven't spent nearly as much time in that game as Lego Star Wars.

Finn

Staff member
To the last three posters, a reminder... this isn't Twitter. Don't just say the game you're playing, say something about it.

Failure to comply leads to unhappy times (for you) and so on... you know the drill.

No Ticket

Finn said:
To the last three posters, a reminder... this isn't Twitter. Don't just say the game you're playing, say something about it.

Failure to comply leads to unhappy times (for you) and so on... you know the drill.

There are probably better ways to address this then the way you phrased it above. Kind of rubs me the wrong way honestly. That being said, I do apologize.

HenryJunior

I'll apologize too then, I know our mods are very protective and respectful of the boards and encourage other do so as well.

I've got Lego Indiana Jones the Original Trilogy for PS2 right when it came out, and of course then they followed it up with a version that has Crystal Skull Levels, but I really don't feel left out on that. What I love about the game is the replay value, there are so many things you can do, Run through Story as fast as you can, investigate every nook and cranny of the very detailed maps from the films, or collect treasure pieces and money for the literally dozens of playable characters. Scattered throughout the game are hidden Star Wars characters, and when they are all found unlock Han Solo! The PS2 has standard graphics but the PS3 and XBox Versions have graphics that make me want to drool:D

Finn

Staff member
No Ticket said:
There are probably better ways to address this then the way you phrased it above.
Like this?

I'm sort of disappointed. Our long-time patrons should be well aware by now that we only crank up the dickishness if our first attempt to get through isn't as effective as we'd like.

In any case, I apologize too if you found it unnecessarily harsh. It's not so much out of spite than frustration; nobody likes to set things straight within one thread multiple times.

Marshall2288

I'm kind of in a dead period right now honestly. I'm thinking about replaying Arkham City and Uncharted 3 because back in December my in laws stayed dang near the whole month with us and I had my freaking father-in-law's commentary during both games which seriously ruined it I think.

I think i'll save my $60 for Assassins Creed 3

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
...the only complaint I currently have is that some of the shooting mechanics seem to be a bit clumsy. It doesn't have the responsiveness of, say, Uncharted: Drake's Deception.

I take this back. Some fourteen hours later and I can readily say that the shooting mechanics in Max Payne 3 are rock solid. It's not often that you can follow a bullet's trajectory in a game, but here you can. Try it. It'll hit exactly what you're aiming at.

Shootdodge™ is the one hang up. Unless you manage to kill everybody you're aiming at -- or fall behind cover -- Max is a sitting duck. Yes, you can shoot while lying on your back, but it takes some practice. Given that death comes suddenly and often you'd be better off seeking cover if you're out in the open. You can even make the argument that Shootdodge™ has been rendered obsolete and Bullet Time® is all Max needs.

There are moment of "cinematic action" aplenty, but outside of these moments Max is constrained by... well, physics. You can see the effort it takes Max to pull himself up off the deck and scramble for cover.

Briefly: Max Payne 3 is a great looking game. It doesn't look as good as Drake's Deception, but Rockstar has really made São Paulo come alive. Naughty Dog could learn a couple of things. From the non-subtitled Brazilian Portuguese being featured throughout 80-plus percent of the game to watching a trio of favela kids kick a soccer ball around, you can sense how much work went into bringing the various neighborhoods to life.

This is Rockstar's strongest narrative outing to date. Everything is delivered with absolute conviction, and a strong example of what they can do when they ditch the illusion of freedom they've relied upon with the open-world games of Grand Theft Auto.

Anyway, 'nuff said. Pick it up.

maxpayne3_action17_fb.jpg

Goodsport

michael said:
Played this the other night.

If you have a PS3, you need to play this. No words can describe how your playthrough will go. And you NEED to play it through in one sitting for best results. Around 2 hours, but it has plenty of re-playability.

Honestly one of the greatest video game experiences of my life. Weird to say, but I don't care.

I haven't found the time yet to play it through in one playthrough, but I hopefully will at some point soon. :)

-G

Goodsport

Le Saboteur said:
I take this back. Some fourteen hours later and I can readily say that the shooting mechanics in Max Payne 3 are rock solid. It's not often that you can follow a bullet's trajectory in a game, but here you can. Try it. It'll hit exactly what you're aiming at.

I'd love to play this game, but I haven't played the first two games in the series and they're probably hard to find now. :(

Also, is this a first-person shooter or a third-person shooter? The one type of game I just can't seem to play well with using a controller is the first-person shooter (or first-person anything, for that matter) - I absolutely need a keyboard & mouse for that, something which I don't have for my PS3 and my PC is way too old to handle today's games. :(

On the other hand, if it's a third-person shooter ala Red Dead Redemption, then that's a different story... although we then come back to the problem of me not having played the previous two Max Payne games. :(

-G

Goodsport

Official trailer for the upcoming The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dawnguard game add-on (DLC for consoles, Expansion Pack for the PC):

Scheduled for Summer 2012 (no exact date given yet), but with one caveat: it will be released exclusively for the Xbox 360 for thirty days, after which it will then be released for the other platforms. :eek:

Also, the upcoming Update 1.6 will introduce mounted combat. :cool:

-G

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Goodsport said:
I'd love to play this game, but I haven't played the first two games in the series and they're probably hard to find now.
Firstly, it's 3rd person. Though isn't this something anyone with half a brain could easily find out by spending a couple of minutes with Wikipedia or Google?

And secondly... http://store.steampowered.com/sub/604/

There ya go. Two great games for mere peanuts. Considering part one was released in 2001 and the 2nd one in 2003, it's hard to imagine a modern PC that wouldn't run those two.

That being said, I honestly doubt you need to play the first two to enjoy the plot of the third. It's been a decade since they came out, so it's highly likely they're going to keep the plot references to them in a minimum. And the necessary bits of Max's backstory can be explained in a single sentence: He's a former NYPD detective whose wife and daughter were killed years ago by some drug-addicted burglars and his life has been a downward spiral since.

In a sense, it's bit like claiming you can't pick up the most recent The Punisher comic book due to to not having read all the issues that became before it.