TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #101
Jose Chung
IndyFan

Remember people not every episode was about aliens.
Jose Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #102
RelicHunter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Chung

Thank You! Not to mention if this movie meets its budget we will more than likely go back to the Alien conspiracy in 2012. Which would be awesome! In general I was glad to see X-files back.
RelicHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #103
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelicHunter
Thank You! Not to mention if this movie meets its budget we will more than likely go back to the Alien conspiracy in 2012. Which would be awesome! In general I was glad to see X-files back.

What is this 2012 project? Is that year significant in the TV show's plot?
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #104
RelicHunter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
What is this 2012 project? Is that year significant in the TV show's plot?

It is of course the year the Mayan calander ends. Some believe a prediction to some life changing event. The show explained it (putting it simply) the year that the alien invasion would take place.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #105
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:

No but a good chunk of them were and this was a movie not an episode so please forgive me for wanting to see an alien or a ufo.
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #106
Arab Swordsman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
No but a good chunk of them were and this was a movie not an episode so please forgive me for wanting to see an alien or a ufo.

Actually, most were not. They did about 8 mythology episodes in each 22 episode season. The majority of the episdoes were stand alones and this movie was a perfect junction point from the end of the series to the (hopefully) final movie that wraps up the alien mythology.

I want the movie that wraps up the series to be a non-stop ride for 2 hours. You couldn't have the "what were Mulder and Scully doing for 6 years" questions put into that movie and have enough time to do the story justice. This movie was a good stand alone story that sets up the next one while bridging the gap and telling a good story.

Besides, you can't do every X-Files story about aliens. The show was much more than that if you do the alien thing all the time people get sick of it. I would rather had this story be a stand alone and have the next one deal with the invasion in 2012.
Arab Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #107
RelicHunter
IndyFan

Quote:

No reason to get defensive man. Arab swordsman is right. The conspiracy was in the minority. And the 2012 project looks like it will probably be greenlit (hoping). For me as a fan I enjoyed the movie as a stand alone, but like most the alien conspiracy episodes were my favorites. Like I have said before I am just glad the X-Files is back. And look forward to another movie.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #108
Jose Chung
IndyFan

The X-Files will make back it's production cost this weekend and it will finally profit. They should not have sandwiched this movie inbetween The Dark Knight and The Mummy. It would have been way more profitable in October or near Halloween. I'm glad The X-Files are back and I can't wait for a 2012/colonization movie.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #109
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab Swordsman
Actually, most were not. They did about 8 mythology episodes in each 22 episode season. The majority of the episdoes were stand alones and this movie was a perfect junction point from the end of the series to the (hopefully) final movie that wraps up the alien mythology.

I want the movie that wraps up the series to be a non-stop ride for 2 hours. You couldn't have the "what were Mulder and Scully doing for 6 years" questions put into that movie and have enough time to do the story justice. This movie was a good stand alone story that sets up the next one while bridging the gap and telling a good story.

Besides, you can't do every X-Files story about aliens. The show was much more than that if you do the alien thing all the time people get sick of it. I would rather had this story be a stand alone and have the next one deal with the invasion in 2012.

Did they do an episode on Bigfoot? I could of sworn they did.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #110
Jose Chung
IndyFan

Quote:
Did they do an episode on Bigfoot? I could of sworn they did.

Nope. It was a running joke in the show.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #111
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Nope. It was a running joke in the show.

Haha I kept thinking they did but I guess I dreamed it. I know they did one on the Jersey Devil though that was a good one.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #112
Jose Chung
IndyFan

Quote:
Haha I kept thinking they did but I guess I dreamed it. I know they did one on the Jersey Devil though that was a good one.

They did have
Jersey Devil in Jersey Devil
Lochness Monster in Quagmire
Vampires (and other blood suckers) in 3, Bad Blood, El Mundo Gira (Chupacabra)
Frankenstein in The Post-Modern Prometheus
A(rtificial) I(ntelligence) in Ghost in the Machine, Kill Switch, First Person Shooter
Voodoo in Fresh Bones, Theef

Many other genres in XF but these are the most well-known.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #113
indifan101
IndyFan

Not a bad movie I liked how they brought skinner back
indifan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #114
RelicHunter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indifan101
Not a bad movie I liked how they brought skinner back

I was so happy about that! Skinner was my favorite from the show
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #115
Grizzlor
IndyFan

I saw the movie yesterday. It was good, had me guessing, and David and Gillian barely looked almost the same as 10 years ago. They were terrific. Skinner's return was cool, he finally got to push people around without being beat up or poisoned. Billy Connelly was great, though I am biased because I am a gigantic fan of the Big Yin. I thought the story was kind of dull, and I swore they did it before on the show. It wasn't a blockbuster movie, it was simply a movie, which is refreshing. I didn't care for the perceived mutilation of dogs, even nasty ones. But this was probably one of the best returns of a franchise after a long absence. Really didn't miss a beat. Unfortunately, the box office numbers were horrible, thanks to Batman. Geez, give some other movies a chance you freaks! I'm not confident we'll see The X-Files again.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #116
Jose Chung
IndyFan

$39 million so far in it's second weekend.
$35 million production budget total, I think this includes trailers, TV spots and internet stuff. Since FOX did not do anything to promote this movie.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php

My guess, if it makes close to $60 million in the theatres when it's all said and done, look forward to XF3.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #117
Jose Chung
IndyFan

Quote:
$39 million so far in it's second weekend.
$35 million production budget total, I think this includes trailers, TV spots and internet stuff. Since FOX did not do anything to promote this movie.

My guess, if it makes close to $60 million in the theatres when it's all said and done, look forward to XF3.

Update on XF:IWTB

Total US Gross $20,837,515
International Gross $40,700,000
Worldwide Gross $61,537,515

With a huge market in Japan, it looks like XF could break even in the theatres (~$72.5 mil) before the release of DVD's. All of this even after being placed the week after TDK, which was suicide.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #118
phantom train
IndyFan

I saw "X-files 2" in the theatre a while back. Despite the negative reviews (by both fans and critics) I really enjoyed the film. Very suspenseful,
well-done story and much better than a lot of the episodes in the 5th and
6th seasons of the show.
Though I didn't like it as much as the first film in 1998, I enjoyed the fact that it had a horror theme instead of a sci-fi theme, thereby making it different from the majority of the show's themes/episodes.

As others have said, I think it would have done better in the theatre if it hadn't been up against TDK (and other summer blockbusters). It may have been a better idea to release this in the Spring or Fall, before (or after) the big summer films.
Another reason it probably didn't do better with the general public was the fact that the show has been off the air since 2002.

All that being said, hopefully it did well enough to justify an "X-files 3" at some point.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #119
The Man
IndyFan

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6...e/Product.html

The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #120
Jose Chung
IndyFan

Total US Gross $20,959,743
International Gross $43,445,451
Worldwide Gross $64,405,194

Ok from what I've read on XF fansites from what the Producers and Directors have said, that if the IWTB gets $6-8 mil in Japan when it releases and if it does pretty well in the DVD/Bluray sales look forward to XF3.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #121
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I saw The X-Files Pilot when it first aired in the UK, but never kept up with the series. I watched the odd episode, but without seeing them in order they didn't leave much of an impression.

Several months ago a suitcase of DVDs came my way. Dumped half of them, sold a quarter and kept the remainder. Among those retained were six seasons of the show (1-5 & 7). I kept them out of curiosity, not expecting to enjoy them.

However, having now seen the first two seasons I'm really surprised how much I do like these. They pretty much stand the test of time, due to the storylines and the relationship between Mulder and Scully, and the fact that Chris Carter often cheated by creating suspense by sometimes not showing too much of the creatures or the effects. It was a budgeting consideration, but it works.

I have the feeling that Mulder is what Indy himself might have become if Lucas had followed through with his interpretation of the character as a paranormal investigator. He would have been Mulder and Scully rolled into one, exposing hoaxes and dealing with supernatural reality.

The X-Files, as Jose Chung commented in this thread, wasn't all about aliens. Poltergeists, satanic worship, native American mythology, telekinesis, and aliens, it's all viable in their world. Similar to Indyverse with its competing religions and practises, as well as aliens. The way that Mulder and Scully move effortlessly from an alien episode to a non-alien event is how Indy would probably treat his own adventures. He was at Roswell in '47 but seemingly took that in his stride as just another of his paranormal experiences.

Where's Matt deMille? I want to believe!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #122
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Nice to see this thread resurrected. The x files was such an iconic show, although I felt it started to run out of steam around season 5 or 6, but I think this show will still stand the test of time favourably. There was good chemistry between the leads, good stories, intriguing and shady villains and it was very well made. It was staple viewing for me back in the 90s.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #123
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Yeah I have to agree Andy. One of my favorite shows... but I'll go one step further and say season 6 was the last good season before it went down hill.

The second movie however was a bit underwhelming for me, I like the "monster of the week" episodes and making one of those into a movie sounded killer to me but while watching it I was thinking to myself the whole time, this is what they came up with?

I would have liked to see a third one to close out a trilogy dealing with the "alien mythology" but those hopes are now dashed as according to the show the invasion begins on December 21st 2012. I guess that doesn't matter in a film though, films can take place whenever...

(edit)
Really quickly while I'm thinking about it, the film Prometheus seemed to borrow heavily from the X-Files.
Black alien goo infected humans and changing them. The notion of Aliens seeding life on earth. etc.

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo : 11-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #124
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Where's Matt deMille? I want to believe!
Whisked away to Sirius B, perhaps?

The movies, I've seen, but only about a dozen episodes of the TV show and really want to see them all. I don't remember the title of one episode or the name of the family in it, but the story was probably the most shocking thing I've ever seen on primetime TV! (The one with the 2 hillbilly brothers who have sex with their deformed mother and keep her hidden under the bed.)

For Dr. Gonzo:
Similar to, "X Files", is another mid-90s show called, "Dark Skies", that ran for only one season. It creatively ties the alien phenomenon into many major, historical events of the U.S. in the early 1960s. (Ex. JFK assassination, The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, etc.) One episode, "The Last Wave", takes place in 1964 Los Angeles and guess who is a main character in that one? A young, UCLA film student named, Jim Morrison!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #125
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Whisked away to Sirius B, perhaps?

I wonder if they'll ever return him to us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I don't remember the title of one episode or the name of the family in it, but the story was probably the most shocking thing I've ever seen on primetime TV! (The one with the 2 hillbilly brothers who have sex with their deformed mother and keep her hidden under the bed.)

A quick search using the terms X-Files hillbilly sex mother brought up the episode Home from Season 4.

indeed!

There's been a few gruesome episodes within the first two seasons: the necrophiliac in Irrestistible, the cannibals in Our Town, the nail through the nose and the part-time conjoined twin in Humbug...
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote