Not to mention that after Donovan dies, Elsa specifically says "It would not be made out of gold" so she knew the entire time that the one she gave Donovan wasnt the Grail.
Yes she does, and you could say it is another misconception people have, because it sounds like she is questioning it, after he "error" - "it would not be made out of gold?" - but it is apparent with subtitles she is not questioning, but stating.
I'm trying to think of some of mine...I know I had a few since I was only 7 when Raiders came out...
1) I never understood as a kid why the Ark ghosts didn't kill Indy and Marion simply b/c they had their eyes closed; nor how Indy knew to close his/their eyes to avoid the fate of the Nazis.
2) I also didn't understand why Katanga suddenly turned evil when he tells the Nazis he's going to sell Marion
3) I remember reading the date in ToD and not being able to remember the date of RotLA. I was frantically asking all of my friends if they remembered b/c I couldn't understand why in the world Indy and Marion had broken up - Then years later my dad got RotLA on Laser Disc and by then I had forgottent the date of ToD I didn't solve that "prequel mystery" until the '90s when they re-released the movies on VHS again.
4) I always wondered what "Om-nom-sha-bah" meant - My friends and I used to say it whenever we were scared - Hahahahahaha
5) In middle school (and beyond) my best friend was Indian and we became friends b/c I absolutely just HAD to ask him if Indian people really, truly ate "snake surprise" and "chilled monkey brains" !! - He laughed at me about that for years afterward - Ah, middle school in the '80s...when a kid could ask honest, innocent questions w/o being accused of racism
I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
not until a few months ago, i didn't know temple of doom was raiders prequel. and when indy said "dates, you eat 'em" i always thought he was saying "dates, you need 'em" like he was talking about going out on a date
I thought Harrison Ford shot real Nazi's in the movies, cause it looked so real. I thought they were Nazi POW's, who were sentenced to being executed, and were just killed on-screen by Harrison Ford...I was a weird kid...
I dunno if this counts as a misconception, but speaking of Last Crusade, as a kid, after the tank blows up and runs over the Kubelwagon and Vogel screams "Wo ist Jooooooooones?!" I was positive he was angry because some of his men were in that thing and Indy had basically forced him to destroy it.
In later years, I figured, "He's an evil Nazi, why would he care about his guys?"
However..... while Rob MacGregor's novel doesn't mention any reaction from Vogel in this scene, it does, earlier, have Vogel be severely upset with Indy for shooting his men in Henry's room at the castle, so him being pissed about having to blast a car full of his guys to bits and then run them over wasn't too far off the mark after all.
Well I was very young at the time so that's my excuse! And just to lose any creditablity I might have on here, for some reason I got it into my head that Toht was Hitler. Where I got that idea from, I have no idea....
When I was a kid, I thought Last Crusade was a great movie.
*braces for impact*
I can kinda agree, to a point. I saw LC when I was 18...thought it was a definite letdown..too silly and sitcom-my. I never really bought Sean Connery as Indy's father...I just saw Sean and Harrison acting like father and son.
Still, I left the theater thinking it was "mehhhh"-alright. I considered it a good film.
As the years rolled on, I kinda warmed to Connery in the film but, while it's still a good film, I find myself watching it less and less lately.
In ROTLA, when Indy says "Truck, what truck?" I thought he was angry at Sallah for some reason. Not only did Indy have an angry tone, but when he throws the rag down, I thought he was grabbing Sallah's robe.
In TOD, when Indy is shackling Willie to the cage and she says "Are you mad?" , I thought she meant "Are you mad at me, and is that why you're lowering me into hot lava?"
when i was little I threw up when I saw Toht's melting head and i didn't watch raiders again until I was 11. when i first saw raiders i didn't comprehend it cause i was little and i thought they were looking for Noah's ark
Ya know, I thought they were searching for Noah's Ark too, when I saw the previews as a kid. I remember thinking it was strange when a movie entitled "The Last Flight for Noah's Ark" was released that same year.