TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #151
JP Jones
IndyFan

I was kind of little when I first saw raiders so I didn't get a lot of what they talked about.
I thought Toht was Belloq in the bar, The ark was in the Hovitos temple, The nepal tough guy shot himself, marion gave indy money for saving her, a snake bit indy in the well of souls, and I also thought Belloq was trying to kill marion by giving her too much too drink.
JP Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #152
AnythingGoes
IndyFan

Location: Somewhere east of Jupiter, but no where near Mercury. The rent is too high.
Well, here goes...
Raiders
I thought Indy killed Abner {I mistook Marion's 'It took a whole lot for you to alienate him.' for 'It took a whole lot for you to annihilate him.'}
I literally had no idea on Earth who Dietrich was...it was only until 3 years later that I figured out that the guy who had had his head shrunk was Dietrich!
I thought Sallah said, 'Ass! Very dangerous! You go first!'
Temple
It took me a while to make the connection that the plane Indy and the gang take is Lao's. I thought the pilot's were just evil creeps who wanted to kill the gang for no apparent reason.
I thought the Maharajah was a girl... seriously, whenever he spoke in that high voice I had the impression that he was wearing a bun under the turban!
I didn't quite catch what 'Nocturnal Activities' were. I assumed he was going to watch her while she slept.
Crusade
I was dead set on thinking Donovan and Elsa planned to get married! As Donovan turned to dust I thought he was trying to kiss Elsa rather then strangle her!
I never understood why Indy wore a necktie throughout 30 minutes of the movie! {'Come to think of it, I still wonder!'}
I thought Panama Hat was Belloq.
And of course, I was a bit too old to have misconceptions of 'Skull'...I don't think I would've had any though...the movie was a bit too easy to understand!

AnythingGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #153
teampunk
IndyFan

i always thought that in raiders after the ark burned the nazi sign off the box it later did the same thing to the usa sign on another box. i thought it was some kind of profound statement about how the true god doesn't care about nationalities.
teampunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #154
mattzilla2010
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingGoes
I thought Sallah said, 'Ass! Very dangerous! You go first!'

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
mattzilla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #155
AnythingGoes
IndyFan

Location: Somewhere east of Jupiter, but no where near Mercury. The rent is too high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzilla2010
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Glad I made your day!
May I add you to my Buddy List?
AnythingGoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #156
mattzilla2010
IndyFan

I would be honored.
mattzilla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #157
XanaduEli
IndyFan

well i was very young when i saw my first indy film (about 2 or 3)

so i had a lot of misconceptions

i thought tohts name was belloq

i thought that poison that was put on the dates was extra hot, hot sauce

I thought shorty was Indy's son

when i saw the scene with the young indy in the last crusade, i thought i had put on the wrong video.

i though Elsa and Walter was siblings

i thought that when Indy's father thought that Indy had perished at the bottom of the cliff,he actually did die and the film was going to end there.

i thought sallah was Indy's brother

and i thought that when Indy and his father were tied up and Elsa had just kissed and Walter had come over and glared at him, i thought he was going to kiss him to
XanaduEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #158
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

Maharajah sounds like a girl because Raj's real voice isn't used - he's dubbed by Katie Leigh using a voice that sounds way too like a little girl.

Also the glittery finery the Maharajah is dressed in is associated with femininity.
JollyGreenSlugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #159
Nosirrah
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSlugg
Maharajah sounds like a girl because Raj's real voice isn't used - he's dubbed by Katie Leigh using a voice that sounds way too like a little girl.

Also the glittery finery the Maharajah is dressed in is associated with femininity.

Thank you for disinterring one of the most entertaining threads this newcomer has yet seen on this site. And that's saying something.
Nosirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #160
Walecs
IndyFan

When she was much younger, a friend of mine thought the Indiana Jones movies were set in present days and the Nazis were actually a smaller party which had been recentely founded in honour of the real WWII Nazis.

Last edited by Walecs : 03-31-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #161
Nosirrah
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walecs
When she was much younger, a friend of mine thought the Indiana Jones movies were set in present days and the Nazis were actually a smaller party which had been recentely founded in honour of the real WWII Nazis.
Maybe she was thinking of a different movie.
Nosirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #162
Citizen_Kane
IndyFan

Great thread. My major misconceptions:

- RotLA: I thought Indy changed into captain's clothes and was in disguise during the trip. During the submarine montage, there is a German speaking actor (saying: "tauche das U-boot") who I thought was Indiana Jones. Looks like Harrison Ford.

- LC: In the temple, Indy completes the first task and then puts a rope on the wheels to stop the blades from swinging. I, however, for years assumed some centuries old operator guarding the traps did this, just like the monk waiting at the end. Later I realized it's just Indy's hands doing this.

Am I the only one?
Citizen_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #163
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

I was a kid when I watched RotLA for the first time. I had a hard time figuring out what Indy's occupation was. And I thought it was set in the present time until I saw the swastika.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #164
IndyBuff
IndyFan

The first time I watched Last Crusade as a kid I thought that Fedora was Indy. I remember running downstairs and telling my parents that I was disappointed that Harrison Ford wasn't playing Indy in this movie. They told me to keep watching and eventually it made sense.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #165
IndyScout-117
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Kane

- RotLA: I thought Indy changed into captain's clothes and was in disguise during the trip. During the submarine montage, there is a German speaking actor (saying: "tauche das U-boot") who I thought was Indiana Jones. Looks like Harrison Ford.

Am I the only one?
No I definitely thought that with Raiders too! Blew my mind when I learned it wasnít him.

I dunno if anyone would know this one. Is Vogel or Dietrich part of the SS? I know that Reingold (Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth novel) was SS but I didnít know ifvogel or Dietrich were. Vogel seemed more likely because of his ruthlessness and Dietrich was kinda a chump
IndyScout-117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #166
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyScout-117
No I definitely thought that with Raiders too! Blew my mind when I learned it wasnít him.

I dunno if anyone would know this one. Is Vogel or Dietrich part of the SS? I know that Reingold (Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth novel) was SS but I didnít know ifvogel or Dietrich were. Vogel seemed more likely because of his ruthlessness and Dietrich was kinda a chump

Vogel is a part of the SS, Dietrich is not. You can tell from their respective uniforms.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #167
RaidersLovers
IndyFan

Quote:

Yes, is a look-alike, I would be interested to know the name of the guy, unfortunaly is unknow. Possibly is a stunt (Opening thhe ark scene used stunts as soldiers although there is NOT a dangerous scene) or one of the guys related with the submarine.
RaidersLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #168
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:

Am I the only one?

Nope, that happened to me too!
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #169
RaidersLovers
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersLovers
Yes, is a look-alike, I would be interested to know the name of the guy, unfortunaly is unknow. Possibly is a stunt (Opening thhe ark scene used stunts as soldiers although there is NOT a dangerous scene) or one of the guys related with the submarine.

I think he is a Michael Sheard replacement (As in the canyon scene there is a Tony Vogel replacement)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #170
Citizen_Kane
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyScout-117
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Nope, that happened to me too!

Ha, very happy to see I am not the only one

Quote:
Yes, is a look-alike, I would be interested to know the name of the guy, unfortunately is unknown.
Raiders of the Lost Harrison Look-a-like!
Old 05-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #171
Citizen_Kane
IndyFan

Quote:
I think he is a Michael Sheard replacement
Thanks for the info. Probably a replacement indeed. IMDb credits Michael Sheard (who also played Hitler in Last Crusade) as the U-Boat Captain. However, the U-Boat Captain in the final film definitely is not Michael Sheard. (edit: the Indiana Jones Wikia has a page on the U-Boat "Officer", of which the actor is unknown)

edit: Here I found some more info on Michael Sheard's character in Raiders, apparently his character is called Oskar Schomberg and was mostly cut from the final film.

Oskar Schomberg, the U-Boat Captain, played by Michael Sheard

Michael Sheard (who also played admiral Ozzel in The Empire Strikes Back) is definitely a different actor.

Last edited by Citizen_Kane : 05-13-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #172
RaidersLovers
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Probably a replacement indeed. IMDb credits Michael Sheard (who also played Hitler in Last Crusade) as the U-Boat Captain. However, the U-Boat Captain in the final film definitely is not Michael Sheard. (edit: the Indiana Jones Wikia has a page on the U-Boat "Officer", of which the actor is unknown)

edit: Here I found some more info on Michael Sheard's character in Raiders, apparently his character is called Oskar Schomberg and was mostly cut from the final film.

Oskar Schomberg, the U-Boat Captain, played by Michael Sheard

Michael Sheard (who also played admiral Ozzel in The Empire Strikes Back) is definitely a different actor.

He does not appears on the script, but Oskar Schomburg yes. I'm sure he replaced Michael Sherd
Old 05-22-2018, 02:22 AM   #173
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Quote:
Opening the ark scene used stunts as soldiers although there is NOT a dangerous scene

I wonder if that had to do with the lightbulb things they had attached to their chests, which were later covered up with visual effects? Were they concerned about the safety of the actors...?

Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #174
RaidersLovers
IndyFan

After a research, The stunts were used actually for the exploding guns where clearly we can see the soldiers moving carefully and also some of them being hit by the explosion. (This scene also used the bulbs)

The bulbs were tested with locals (Who played the soldiers in closeups shooted in January 1981,who included the beam hitting the cameraman and the soldier hitted in his eyes and hands ) so i guess they weren't stunts but the bulbs were controlled by special effects technicians who also played soldiers in the scene (ex. Trevor Butterfield who opened the ark).

Changing the subject (Because this is not the thread) I will talk about when I saw the Opening of the ark the first time in my life, I saw a totally different thing:

1.All the ghost were angels like the skull one.
2. Actually all the ghosts turned into skeletons.
3. I remember Belloq scared when he said "It's Beautiful"
4. I remember also shots of the soldiers dancing in the fog.
5. Marion and Indy stake was in the ground with the soldiers, not in a elevated place.
6.I remember the shot where Belloq was covered in fire like a very scare scene and as a closeup of Belloq, not a general shot including Dietrich and Toht (With belloq in agony).
7.I remember shots of the soldiers reacting to Belloq Fire.
8.Belloq was throwing the beams.
9.Some soldiers were hitted by beams, after that, the antagonist trio dies, after that the soldiers dies.
10.The soldier chest bright was purple o pink.
11.Belloq was not screaming before his death, only Toht and Dietrich.
12. Dietrich death was very different: his mouth enlarged like in the movie, his eyes rolled up like in the movie, his nose falled and his cheeks and chins fell in pieces. also his head shrinks like in the movie but also melts like toht (without reaching the skull).
13. Toht death was not very different but some of his faces features falled in solid pieces, more than liquid. also the glasses falled to the ground, not the neck.
14. Belloq death was also different and longer: after killing all the soldiers, the fire consumed belloq until the point of his head evaporating and his headless body exploding and his arms detaching of the body, but the fire only showed Belloq's shadow death, after that the fire dissapears.
15.After belloq death as I said in point 9, the soldiers slowly falled to the ground collapsing, during that we can see that the bodies of Toht, Dietrich and Belloq dissapeared, instead we can see the ark being covered in a gold light that the soldiers are watching while they falled to the ground, then the light dissapeared, we see shots of the soldiers body (Not dummies, actually actor lying in the ground) before the bodies dissapears, then the column of fire rising up scenes plays as normal.
16. The scene begin with Belloq opening the ark, then instead of the sand scene, we see a bright light covering the altar and a noise, after we can see a reaction closeup of Toht, after, we can see closeups of the soldiers reacting, after that the lights blew up (including a focus operated by a soldier located on a cliff) in a different way that the movie but ending with the explosion of the generator, angelical choirs sounds as the fog appears in front of a scared Belloq, before the first ghost appear, we can see a ghost with the shape of a rat (like Bantu Wind hold) crossing the Tabernacle, then a ghost appears behind the soldiers, with more appearing.
17. Indy says to Marion to close her eyes before the opening of the ark.
18. Belloq prayer was longer.

Other misconceptions in Raiders:
1. Eaton doesn't had moustache.
2. Satipo corpse was half descomposed whe Indy found it (less than Forrestal)
3. Barranca back was bloodier

Also I remember different the death of Donovan to the movie one:
1.Donovan reaction to the cup was a nervous reaction segue to Donovan holding his neck, followed of reaction shots of Indy and Elsa.
2.then Donovan says his line of the movie "What is happening to me" but instead of the initial aged Donovan we can see a Normal donovan with his hand turning gray.
3. the shot of growing hair was longer.
4.Instead of "Doc Brown mummy " Donovan, I saw a gray skin Donovan with long hair and black clothes played by Glover, then his face fades (rather to morphing) to skull, point where the score intesifies .
5. Donovan skeleton gets mad (Running and screaming) while descomposing revealing a red chest.
6. Donovan isn't hitted by Indy, instead he is broken in pieces and falls to a cliff (The only part that doesn't fall is the skull)

There are more misconception of when I saw the trilogy but I think this post is long
Old 07-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #175
Raiders112390
IndyFan

When I was younger, when watching the scene where Indy and Marcus search Henry's hous, I thought Indy said "What's the old fool..." And Marcus finished the sentence "got himself into now?"
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote