Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #51
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao che & sons

LANCE, on what thread in rebelscum did you see the custom lao?

Here's a picture of the custom Lao Che by the super cool 'Scummer Flacksguy...

And here's a link to the thread -

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfla...=&fpart=1&vc=1
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #52
inky_skin
IndyFan

As we're talking about Lao, I thought I'd throw in my WIP...

It's a 21st Century Toys Japanese Infantry head with new hair, sideburns and facial hair.
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #53
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

WHOOOO!!!!!

Inky is BACK!

Amazing WIP, buddy! Can't WAIT to see the finished product!

I see you're using a Sirius Black body there. Great choice, good luck sculpting the tie and other details.

More please!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #54
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Hey, what do you guys think of this truck?

I think the features are generic enough that it has a kind of "timeless" quality that wouldn't look too out of place in the Indiana Jones 30s and 40s time frame.

Granted, I think it needs a major repaint.

While there are plenty of period accurate 1:18th scale trucks out there, those die cast items are not made to be treated as "toys" and can be extremely difficult to cram figures into.

This looks like a decent compromise.

Thoughts?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #55
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar

I think the features are generic enough that it has a kind of "timeless" quality that wouldn't look too out of place in the Indiana Jones 30s and 40s time frame.

While there are plenty of period accurate 1:18th scale trucks out there, those die cast items are not made to be treated as "toys" and can be extremely difficult to cram figures into.

Thoughts?

I think it'd look great repainted as a civilian truck in either a South American or perhaps Indian setting (and the latter offers great, but complex, deco possibilities). Don't think it would fit in a military context - unless perhaps as African militia.

BTW - wasn't planning on using Sirius as a base for Lao Che (was just using the neck post to play with the ball-jointing mod on the head and to hold things steady while painting) - but it's not a bad idea. I'm planning on adding a few things to this character in terms of details and accessories to enliven what is essentially quite a dull costume.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #56
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin

It's a 21st Century Toys Japanese Infantry head with new hair, sideburns and facial hair.

Great! Fantastic! Your best work yet! I can't wait for this one!

does the head from that 21st century figure pop right on the neck you used or was there some customization involved and what neck did you use?

LANCE,
Thanks man, I searched rebelscum for hours one day and I couldn't find anything I really like that the RS one came out but I don't remmber the jacket being closed. It's really relieving to see some one take my idea and use it just like a, "this is what your custom may look like it you don't screw it up" type thing
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #57
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
I think it'd look great repainted as a civilian truck in either a South American or perhaps Indian setting (and the latter offers great, but complex, deco possibilities). Don't think it would fit in a military context - unless perhaps as African militia.

Definitely civilian, not military. I think it would fit very well in Africa or the Americas. Give it a nice dirty, rusty paint job first.

I saw this in a store today. It looks good, it's just a little bit small, but it should work well enough for most average sized, well-articulated figures.

However, the truck is right hand drive!!! How utterly ridiculous!!! What kind of morons would design and drive vehicles with such a cockeyed configuration!!

(If I do buy this, removing the steering wheel may be necessary to seat some figures anyway.)

Quote:
BTW - wasn't planning on using Sirius as a base for Lao Che (was just using the neck post to play with the ball-jointing mod on the head and to hold things steady while painting) - but it's not a bad idea. I'm planning on adding a few things to this character in terms of details and accessories to enliven what is essentially quite a dull costume.

Dull?!?! Lao Che's costume is DULL?!?!

Black shirt, black tuxedo, white tie?? Lao Che is one of the most stylish, swanky characters in cinema history!!! Bite thy tongue!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #58
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
LANCE,
Thanks man, I searched rebelscum for hours one day and I couldn't find anything I really like that the RS one came out but I don't remmber the jacket being closed. It's really relieving to see some one take my idea and use it just like a, "this is what your custom may look like it you don't screw it up" type thing

I don't believe the jacket is closed in the movie. Flacksguy admitted he didn't have a great visual reference when making the figure (and expressed surprise by just how long the sideburns were when I posted a pic.) Chalk it up to that....

Get cracking, Lao Che & Sons! I want to see dueling Lao figures in the customs thread in the near future.....
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #59
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:

Nice work inky!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #60
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:

Thoughts?

That's a Schleich truck isn't it? It looks okay, but I'm not sure what scale this Schleich range is in. I haven't seen anything but the animals in person. Their stuff is normally of the hard rubbery kind of plastic, so repainting might need priming.

I like the look of their animal nursery:

More details here:

http://www.growingtreetoys.com/produ...al-nursery-set

It could be kitted out as a bar or a store - maybe some jungle depoit. It's quite big at 19 3/4" x 21 1/4".

Last edited by Montana Smith : 01-06-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #61
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
That's a Schleich truck isn't it? It looks okay, but I'm not sure what scale this Schleich range is in. I haven't seen anything but the animals in person. Their stuff is normally of the hard rubbery kind of plastic, so repainting might need priming.

Yeah, it's Schleich. No, it ain't rubbery. As to scale, like I said, it looks just a teeeeeeensy bit small. But that probably makes it very, very close to 1:18 scale, without any of the dramatic license that you sometimes get for other toy lines to accommodate figures. It'll definitely hold well-articulated, non-bulky Indy figures.

The nursery is very cool for some kind of outpost, depot, store, house whatever, but it's extremely expensive. Personally, I don't have the space, money or need for such a thing. But it is impressive.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #62
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, it's Schleich. No, it ain't rubbery.

That's good to know, if one day I decide to splash out on the Animal Nursery...

Quote:
The nursery is very cool for some kind of outpost, depot, store, house whatever, but it's extremely expensive. Personally, I don't have the space, money or need for such a thing. But it is impressive.

Space would definitely be a problem, as would the cost. It made me think of Satipo and Barranca's jungle outpost bar, Tequila Flats, at Machete Landing. It would be fun kitting it out inside.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #63
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Just been looking at the Schleich range again. I'm confused as to actual scale of the figures as I've read 1/16 (making them around 4 1/2" tall), but on Ebay people are listing them as 9cm or 3 1/2", which would make them about 1/20.

There are other useful scenery items, such as a stone well (Knights range), camp fire (Frontier range), crates (Wildlife range).

In terms of quality, Papo are superior for animals. I have some of the 1/40 dinosaurs and some of the wild animals, which I think are around 1/20. They're really more like scale models than toys. Not cheap, though.

http://www.papo-france.com/Collection.asp?Nav=34&Fam=33

http://www.papo-france.com/Collection.asp?Nav=55&Fam=31

http://www.papo-france.com/Collection.asp?Nav=58

http://www.papo-france.com/Collection.asp?Nav=56

http://www.papo-france.com/Collection.asp?Nav=6
Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #64
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Great! Fantastic! Your best work yet! I can't wait for this one!

does the head from that 21st century figure pop right on the neck you used or was there some customization involved and what neck did you use?

The 21st Century head had a neckpost like the old Star Wars figs used to. I had to cut it away and Dremel the inside of the head to take a ball. The neckpost in the pic is from Sirius Black - but I wasn't planning on keeping it.

Quote:

Ok, I'll admit it was stylish. But from a customisers PoV, a guy in a black suit is kinda dull. However - do we ever see his shoes in the movie / stills ? If not, I think I may add a little flourish to his footwear. I'm also planning on giving him some firepower.

C'mon Lance, I want to see this paintjob on your Schleich truck...

Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #65
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Just been looking at the Schleich range again. I'm confused as to actual scale of the figures as I've read 1/16 (making them around 4 1/2" tall), but on Ebay people are listing them as 9cm or 3 1/2", which would make them about 1/20.

There are other useful scenery items, such as a stone well (Knights range), camp fire (Frontier range), crates (Wildlife range).

The Schleich figures themselves are small. I'd say 1:20 is a good bet and many websites advertise that as the scale. Smaller than Indy/SW figures for sure.

However, the truck really does look like it'd be a good fit for the Indy toys, even if it is probably just a smidge smaller than I'd like. If and when I do get the sucker, I'll be sure to give a full report.

Schleich makes some great stuff. The castle line in particular.

They make some great trees which are perfect for crafting some kind of Indy-esque dio/display....if not for the fact that the trees are around $30!!! Seriously, for a friggin' tree.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #66
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
...I think I may add a little flourish to his footwear.

Flourish?

Roller blades? Manolo Blahniks? Slinky shoes??? The mind reels...

Quote:

C'mon Lance, I want to see this paintjob on your Schleich truck...

I prefer something like this -

Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #67
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Schleich makes some great stuff. The castle line in particular.

They make some great trees which are perfect for crafting some kind of Indy-esque dio/display....if not for the fact that the trees are around $30!!! Seriously, for a friggin' tree.

I have a Schleich oak tree that's quite impressive.

Quote:
...I think I may add a little flourish to his footwear.

Quote:
Flourish?

A pair of tall stilettos, Eddie Izzard style, would make him really menacing!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #68
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Flourish?

I prefer something like this -

Actually, I was thinking of these...

Lance - nice shot of the Muppets tour bus there (hence the obscure 'Electric Mayhem' reference I presume).
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #69
Montana Smith
IndyFan

[quote=inky_skin]Actually, I was thinking of these...

QUOTE]

Yes, inky, those be would be very fittting for Lao.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #70
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Quote:

Black shirt, black tuxedo, white tie?? Lao Che is one of the most stylish, swanky characters in cinema history!!! Bite thy tongue!

Everyone character was stylish in the shanghai ,1935 sequence. white tuxedo jacket, black vest and black tuxedo pants, plus that carnation. Don't even get me started on Chen with that scarf
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #71
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Here's an update of thed McFarlane Prince of Perisa figures, with some pictures. No better pictures of the horses orthe gate yet, though.

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=15342
Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #72
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Thanks for the link. Looks like some good custom material there (though I worry the figures will probably be bigger than the Indy line in scale.)

I'll be following this line with interest - hope to see the horse and playset soon!

p.s. the notion of Jake Gyllenhaal as a Persian still cracks me up.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #73
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Looks like some good custom material there (though I worry the figures will probably be bigger than the Indy line in scale.)

Yes, they state 4", and Indy is the classic 3 3/4". At worst they'll provide fodder for some Pat Roach sized villains. At best they may end up being similar to the Army of Darkness Deadites, which were touted as 4", but scale very well with the Hasbros.

Quote:
I'll be following this line with interest - hope to see the horse and playset soon!.

I'm really hoping they'll make some room dioramas - though I'll have to make room for some rooms in my room.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #74
Insomniac
IndyFan

Quote:
Here's an update of thed McFarlane Prince of Perisa figures, with some pictures. No better pictures of the horses orthe gate yet, though.

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=15342
Good sherpas!
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #75
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Good sherpas!

I was thinking more as colleagues for the Cairo Swordsman to give that pesky pistol-toting Indy a run for his money!