Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #26
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
I think he left HJ and took the block with him, because the HJ hats just don't quite look right now if you've been following their instagram.
This theory has been all but confirmed by HJ:

"We had new blocks made up using the vintage HJ blocks from our storage as our base design. The old blocks are in a terrible state...I am very happy with this block shape."-- Michelle

"Base design" seems to be the key phrase. The new blocks are apparently idealized re-imaginings based on what the current HJ team thinks the Raiders hat SHOULD look like. But Jack was using new molds cast off the original blocks, and took those blocks with him when he left HJ.

Jack.
eazybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #27
Major West
IndyFan

I see, that's interesting and unfortunate. I would look at John Penman, penmanhats.com for an alternative.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #28
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
I see, that's interesting and unfortunate. I would look at John Penman, penmanhats.com for an alternative.
Well, I was lucky enough to get one of Jack's "originals," but I feel sorry for anyone who wanted a Raiders hat made on the original block from HJ, but waited too long to order one for whatever reason. That era seems to be past history and was all-too short-lived.

Jack
Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #29
Major West
IndyFan

Yes the block is the thing. HJ without the block is just a name, as the business has changed hands several times over the years. Unlike say Wested, who had Peter Botwright still running Wested until very recently. (Rest in peace).

Fortunately there are a a handful of other hatters who can turn out a great looking screen accurate Raiders Fedora without charging the earth for it.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #30
eazybox
IndyFan

That's right, and unless I'm mistaken, I believe you can even get a vintage HJ liner with Advantage. Regarding screen accuracy combined with good value, I really like the examples I've seen from them. Although I don't own one, I've read nothing but glowing reviews of their hats.

Jack
Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #31
eazybox
IndyFan

Jack has posted on Facebook. He's hanging in there.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 AM   #32
eazybox
IndyFan

Just a note about a feature on which some members of COW have commented, and I have also noticed. One reason the Raiders crown looks taller in some scenes than in others may be the positioning of the ribbon. In the scenes where the crown appears a bit shorter, the ribbon may be hiked up about a quarter of an inch, making the crown appear shorter and the brim wider. This feature can be seen especially in some close-ups from the Streets of Cairo scenes, where the ribbon is clearly above the brim break (the point where the brim ends and the crown begins). On hats, small measurements can make a world of difference.

Jack