Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #101
Nosirrah
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I just realized something from that Berg interview, he says quickly, "It'll be late in the '60s, yeah"

So...I guess there goes the hope for it being pre Nam era.
Here's something weird, but not really. There was a 44-year gap between the action in Raiders (1937) and the release of the film (1981). There's a 51-year gap between 1967 and now. Yet to some of us (myself included, and presumably Spielberg), the Vietnam Era is still very much "present." Between Angkor Wat and the Plain of Jars, SE Asia offers great possibilities for an archaeo-adventure. But the genocidal regime of Pol Pot & the Khmer Rouge just doesn't play out in the media in the way that Nazis and Commies do, especially in terms of occasional comic relief. Put it this way: there wasn't any "Hogan's Heroes" or "M*A*S*H" treatment of Cambodia. Quite the opposite.

Which is too bad in cinematic terms. Angkor Wat is Petra on steroids. And Burma/Myanmar? Still mysterious and exotic-- but forget about location shooting (with cameras, I mean).
Nosirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #102
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Not sure if this is some kind of April fool?

Indiana Jones 5: Ken Jeong Cast As Adult Short Round

Keong is a young looking 48, could definitely get away with playing Short Round in the late 60s, but I'm still not sure whether to give ScreenRant credence on this.

Last edited by Z dweller : 04-01-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #103
Z dweller
IndyFan

SHORT ROUND
Hey Indy, whatever happened to Willie Scott?

INDIANA JONES
(Grimaces)
I hear she married a rich movie director.

Joking apart, the article alleges that Jeong will "co-star alongside Harrison Ford".
If true, this would put a whole new spin on the young sidekick theory.
While not exactly a spring chicken, a 40-something Shorty would definitely be able to credibly kick some serious butt in action scenes.

The Lucasfilm press release goes on to say More information regarding the movie’s cast will be revealed soon.

Hmmm... this would a biggie - but I suspect it's just a prank, and I'm not alone.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Z dweller : 04-01-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #104
curmudgeon
IndyFan

It's an April Fools Joke.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #105
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
It's an April Fools Joke.
Yes, they updated the page now.

A good one, I enjoyed it.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:23 PM   #106
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
A good one.

Not really, I didn't buy it from the get-go, considering the day-o. I have been fooled before-tho.

Collegehumor summed it up.

Also, r/iamverysmart. So, don't even test my very high IQ. I watch Rick and Morty.

EDIT: it's possible this is misdirection. We shouldn't take anything too seriously at this point. Remember, 2006-07?; 'CGI will be at a minimum. Shot like the originals'.

Last edited by Gear : 04-01-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #107
Raiders112390
IndyFan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ShvccGqsw

Maybe Professor Jones can lecture this group of lads in 1964.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #108
DARTH ZOIDBERG
IndyFan

Quote:
Yes, they updated the page now.

A good one, I enjoyed it.
I was starting to warm up to the idea, I really hate April Fools day.
DARTH ZOIDBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #109
IndyForever
IndyFan

Spielberg states Indy 5 is Harrison's last movie in the role so its official now this is really the last hurrah

https://pagesix.com/2018/04/04/steve...indiana-jones/

But Spielberg said: ďThis will be Harrison Fordís last Indiana Jones movie, I am pretty sure, but it will certainly continue after that.Ē
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #110
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
Spielberg states Indy 5 is Harrison's last movie in the role so its official now this is really the last hurrah

https://pagesix.com/2018/04/04/steve...indiana-jones/

But Spielberg said: ďThis will be Harrison Fordís last Indiana Jones movie, I am pretty sure, but it will certainly continue after that.Ē

ďI am pretty sureĒ he says lol. Disney knows old Harrison brings in money. Even more money than young hot leads. Compare TFA box office to TLJ, one had Ford in the top billed role, the other had no Ford at all.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #111
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Disney knows old Harrison brings in money.
He certainly used to.

But I'd wait to sing Indy 5's praises at the box office at this stage.
Don't forget that a huge chunk of goodwill was wasted with KOTCS.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this next outing ends up making less...
Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #112
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
He certainly used to.

But I'd wait to sing Indy 5's praises at the box office at this stage.
Don't forget that a huge chunk of goodwill was wasted with KOTCS.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this next outing ends up making less...

TFA followed the prequels and made the most money of the franchise.
And KOTCS was not ďpoorly receivedĒ by any means. It has a 78% approval rating. Thatís much higher than recent blockbusters. Ready Player One just came out and has a 75% approval rating. Avengers 2 has a 72%, Jurassic World a 71% and lets not even start with DC films.

Indy 5 will do big numbers. Probably at least a billion. Especially if itís good.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #113
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Indy 5 will do big numbers. Probably at least a billion. Especially if itís good.
That, my friend, is a rather large IF.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #114
Raiders112390
IndyFan

I've stated before but I think Indy V will do somewhere in the ballpark of 600-800 million. Being generous I will give it 850 million, absolute tops. It will not be a success.

Even if there was a new guy in the role, Indiana Jones isn't that big of a franchise anymore, its brand has been out of the public consciousness for a decade (no games, no shows, no books, no comics, etc), and KOTCS did its share of damage. Plus there is no demand for it. Look around the web. Outside of this place there is no buzz or desire for a new film. No one cares anymore. KOTCS rode the nostalgia of Baby Boomers and Gen X and disappointed most - that audience has no desire to be let down again.

Indiana Jones lacks the built-in fanbase that Marvel has. Marvel movies do well because, besides being good, Marvel has built up a massive fandom over 70 years. It is a universe with a lot of different things to offer, and thus a lot of audience - from sci-fi fans (Guardians of the Galaxy) to people who like Nordic mythology (Thor) and everything in between. Indiana Jones is just one man, who, if we're being honest, is baked into the public mind as Harrison Ford, an old man.

Indiana Jones also lacks the massive and almost cult-like fanbase of Star Wars. People WANTED sequels to the original movies, perhaps even more than they wanted the prequels. Where is the demand for Indy V?

Indy films were basically big dumb fun B-movies in an era where nostalgia for the past ruled and Roland Emerich and Michael Bay weren't around yet. Its void has been filled and there is no nostalgia anymore for the 1930s/1960s like there was in the 80s.

Jurassic World was a success because Jurassic Park caught the imagination of the entire planet in 1993. It was an EVENT. The Lost World was also a success and while not as popular as the first, it introduced the franchise to a younger audience with its line of extremely popular toys and McDonalds tie-ins. While Jurassic Park 3 was lackluster, it didn't have 19 years of hype and thus extreme disappointment. Jurassic World also did well because of a viral campaign to re-introduce the franchise to the public which went on for almost a year before the film's release, and it banked on the nostalgia that Millenials have for the first two Jurassic Park films. What nostalgia do Millenials have for Indy? Their only experience with him, in real time anyway, is KOTCS. We grew up with Lara Croft and The Mummy. I've not met many people of my own age who love Indy.

Indiana Jones - not just Harrison Ford - is old hat.

Last edited by Raiders112390 : 04-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #115
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Being generous I will give it 850 million, absolute tops. It will not be a success.

Just how expensive do you imagine this movie to be?!
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #116
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky

The de-aging process alone...
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #117
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky

Well considering KOTCS was 185 million, and that was a decade ago, adjusting for inflation KOTCS cost $224,000,000. And that's not counting the added online viral marketing of today's day and age and things along those lines which weren't around in 2007.

In today's world, anything under around 600 mil, unless it's an independent film or has a very very low budget, is generally considered to be a flop. And even if you get 800, 850 mil...that's not really all that respectable.

Let's say the budget is 250 million. They need 500 million just to break even. And if it only makes 850, that's only 350 million in Disney's pocket - pocket change for them.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #118
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
The de-aging process alone...

He wonít be de-aged. Harrison has aged appropriately. This film is being set in the late 60ís. Keep up man.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #119
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Well considering KOTCS was 185 million, and that was a decade ago, adjusting for inflation KOTCS cost $224,000,000. And that's not counting the added online viral marketing of today's day and age and things along those lines which weren't around in 2007.

In today's world, anything under around 600 mil, unless it's an independent film or has a very very low budget, is generally considered to be a flop. And even if you get 800, 850 mil...that's not really all that respectable.

Let's say the budget is 250 million. They need 500 million just to break even. And if it only makes 850, that's only 350 million in Disney's pocket - pocket change for them.

Disney wonít turn down 350 million, not a chance. Thatís pure profit. No matter how big of a studio you are, you wonít turn down 350 million in profit. Sorry buddy.

That being said, this is a billion dollar film easy.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #120
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Disney wonít turn down 350 million, not a chance. Thatís pure profit. No matter how big of a studio you are, you wonít turn down 350 million in profit. Sorry buddy.

That being said, this is a billion dollar film easy.

Obviously they won't, but I'm simply trying to argue my case that Indy won't make a billion. I also really can't see the series making it to a sixth part. Spielberg suggested turning Indy female but we (and Disney) have already seen the backlash to the female Ghostbusters film and the female Doctor Who.

Even if you don't go the risky female Indiana Jones route, I really don't think there's much demand for Indiana Jones in general - Harrison, no Harrison, new actor or not.

I also think people here overestimate Harrison Ford's star power. The only reason TFA did so well wasn't because of Harrison but the possibility of seeing Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie etc again....I think Harrison these days, on his own, is a box office dud. When was the last time he had a real hit on his own merits?

I just think they're making a product with very little demand for it.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #121
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Obviously they won't, but I'm simply trying to argue my case that Indy won't make a billion. I also really can't see the series making it to a sixth part. Spielberg suggested turning Indy female but we (and Disney) have already seen the backlash to the female Ghostbusters film and the female Doctor Who.

Even if you don't go the risky female Indiana Jones route, I really don't think there's much demand for Indiana Jones in general - Harrison, no Harrison, new actor or not.

I also think people here overestimate Harrison Ford's star power. The only reason TFA did so well wasn't because of Harrison but the possibility of seeing Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie etc again....I think Harrison these days, on his own, is a box office dud. When was the last time he had a real hit on his own merits?

I just think they're making a product with very little demand for it.

Indiana Jones isn’t a Star Wars or MCU.... but that doesn’t mean it’s not a massively successful franchise. Do you realize how many films and film series would LOVE to be as big as Indiana Jones? Disney just did Pirates 5 which made as much as Indy 4 made and got WAY lower reviews. That’s just an example.
Indiana Jones is a huge films series, it just hasn’t pumped out film after film like most franchises. And that’s ok, it goes at the pace of its star and creator.

It’s certainly more in demand than the DCEU, and those keep getting pumped out like candy.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #122
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Indiana Jones isnít a Star Wars or MCU.... but that doesnít mean itís not a massively successful franchise. Do you realize how many films and film series would LOVE to be as big as Indiana Jones? Disney just did Pirates 5 which made as much as Indy 4 made and got WAY lower reviews. Thatís just an example.
Indiana Jones is a huge films series, it just hasnít pumped out film after film like most franchises. And thatís ok, it goes at the pace of its star and creator.

Itís certainly more in demand than the DCEU, and those keep getting pumped out like candy.

But with the Pirates comparison -
Pirates has had a continuous presence in pop culture since 2003. It stars Johnny Depp who I would argue has, at this point, especially among the 18-34 year old crowd, more star power than Harrison Ford. It's been continually present in pop culture for 15 years; Millenials and now Generation Z have experienced it. It's nostalgic to younger people in that sense, which helps to draw in seats.

Indy on the other hand...KOTCS was compared to the prequels. It did very well but how much of that was 19 years worth of hype, anticipation, desire and nostalgia? It's hard to be measured.

And like I said earlier, in terms of brand presence, Indy has had no presence since 2008. Nothing to keep the series in the public eye or to keep it relevant with younger people. What does Generation Z know of Indiana Jones, really? What about younger Millenials?

What's the 'catch' of seeing a new Indy movie?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #123
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:

It's hard to know where to begin with this post. It's one insane assertion after another.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #124
OldIndy2323
IndyFan

well, back to the Indy V news, in the interview where Speilberg says Indy will continue to a sixth movie, he also says it could be continued with a female lead. So, again, I'm going back to my stance that Indy's going to have an equal African-American female partner for this outing who will take over when he "retires" at the end of the movie (they won't kill off Harrison Ford again in another Disney movie)
OldIndy2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #125
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

But that leaves you with a character who lives in the 60s. The only reason we are out of the 30s is to accommodate Ford's age. With him gone, surely Disney would want to bring the franchise back to the era it actually belongs in.

The only thing I can think of is there could be a flashback set in the 30s, and the new franchise lead is introduced that way. But I am against the idea of setting up the reboot in Indy 5. Let the reboot stand or fall on its own once it actually happens. Indy 5 should be about Ford's last adventure, full stop.