User Name
Password

Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #76
Stoo
IndyFan

Thumbs up A Remarkable Achievement

A Remarkable Achievement...

WOW!

Quite simply, I was AWESTRUCK by this work of fandom. The opening in the Chachapoyan temple is done extremely well for a homemade film but during the college scenes, I began to feel that I wouldn't be able to watch this all in one sitting. However, I chose to stick with it and things only get better from there. Being quickly absorbed into each unfolding sequence, it kept me wondering how the makers were going to pull off the rest and they managed to do them ALL (minus the Flying Wing scene but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things) and they were executed much better than anticipated.

This thing is a true marvel to behold, not just for its replication of the shots but more for the sheer ambitiousness of the entire project. Plenty of different locations & sets are used with a great job done in matching the costumes and there are plenty of extras to flesh out the busier scenes, such as the Cairo market. There is even a real SUBMARINE! By all means, this is not a typical 'backyard production'.

It has real snakes, real mice (for the rats) with Chris Strompolos' dog, Snickers, as the monkey (who even gives a Nazi salute, which, I surmise was done by pulling his paw upwards with a practically invisible fishing cord). Best of all, are the effects: Fire, smoke, blowing snow, ricochet sparks, spurting & dripping blood, burning Ark crate, superimposed Ark ghosts, a melted head + more! Two of the teens were even LIT ON FIRE! Plenty of details are paid attention to, such as the LIFE magazine, Marion drinking from the spilled booze, the wind chimes at the Imam's place, the Mercedes Diesel logo behind the grille of the truck, etc.

One might ask how they did the truck chase. Amazingly, they pulled it off as best as anyone could with no budget and it did not disappoint! Even more amazing is that the truck didn't even have an engine! A convertible/cabriolet Volkswagen Beetle stood in for the staff car. Top full marks for that scene, especially the shots of Indy hanging on to the grille and dragging behind the truck.

Believe it or not, Indy & Sallah lifting up the Ark actually gave me goosebumps and the scene hasn't done that to me since the opening weekend in 1981. There are too many standout moments to choose from but the most impressive were those with the Ark ghosts! (I'd post images but don't want to spoil that part.)

True to form, "The Adaptation" has its own unique twists because minor pieces of dialogue were changed to match its version of events. For examples: "There's a big snake in the boat, Jock!" along with an exchange between Indy & Sallah about Marion's whereabouts after escaping the Well of Souls (Angela Rodriguez was obviously not available at one point so an explanation for her absence was necessary).

It would a be blast to meet with Chris, Eric & Jayson to ask them all sorts of questions. I'm so happy for them that their hard work eventually surfaced for the public (& Spielberg, himself) to see. What an incredible feat & reward they achieved.

This fan-work is phenomenal and rightly worth being included amongst TheRaider.net's list of films, as it already is. Without a doubt, it's definitely a MUST-SEE for any fans of Indiana Jones.

To all involved, BRAVO!

Rating: A+ / 5 stars / 10 out of 10 / 2 thumbs up!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #77
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

The dog. The credit has to go to the dog!!
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #78
Stoo
IndyFan

Yeah, using the dog was a nice solution and way cool because I love dogs. So here's to Snickers and may he Rest In Peace! Apparently, he died in 1988 (a time when Indiana Jones was the farthest thing from my mind...but these guys kept at it).
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #79
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
I own it and have not watched the whole thing. The copy I have has horrible audio and is very dark in low lit scenes. It is amusing and it is entertaining but the quality makes it a hard viewing. Maybe it's my copy. Very clever for some kids though.
Hey, Henry W. This coming Saturday is your chance to see the original on a big screen (and meet the guys who made it).

Courtesy of Rocket Surgeon in his "Raiders Temple Crusade Showtimes" thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Double Feature: Raiders of the Lost Ark and Raiders: The Adaptation
Special guests Eric Zala and Chris Strompolos in person.

March 2, 2013
7:00pm

SIFF Cinema at the Uptown
511 Queen Anne Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
(206)324-9996
Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #80
russds
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Yes, the photo of them with Spielberg is cool but even cooler is the talk about the 'Indy bloopers' reel. I already knew that Spielberg showed it to them but it's nice to hear the guys mention it. If anyone deserves to see it, they certainly do.

Yes, that was awesome too. you could see their eyes light up just talking about seeing the blooper reel. Ahh, what a treat that must have been.

Man I would love to see it, your review is great. One question: is the original score used? I've always been curious how they did that, assuming the shots couldn't exactly sync with the score, i'm assuming they couldn't just dub in the score to their shots. So was it kind of sliced together artfully, did it work? What about the scenes where the music wasn't available on the cassette soundtrack at that time, could you hear dialog from the original film, as if they recorded what they could of the score from the actual film, and used that? (sorry, sort of a score nerd so I've been very curious how they did that)
russds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #81
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Hey, Henry W. This coming Saturday is your chance to see the original on a big screen (and meet the guys who made it).

Courtesy of Rocket Surgeon in his "Raiders Temple Crusade Showtimes" thread:

Gonna try to make it but I have previous moving plans
If I can finish early enough I will probably attend. Thanks for heads up Stoo and the PM about it Rocket!!
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #82
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by russds
Yes, that was awesome too. you could see their eyes light up just talking about seeing the blooper reel. Ahh, what a treat that must have been.

Man I would love to see it, your review is great. One question: is the original score used? I've always been curious how they did that, assuming the shots couldn't exactly sync with the score, i'm assuming they couldn't just dub in the score to their shots. So was it kind of sliced together artfully, did it work? What about the scenes where the music wasn't available on the cassette soundtrack at that time, could you hear dialog from the original film, as if they recorded what they could of the score from the actual film, and used that? (sorry, sort of a score nerd so I've been very curious how they did that)
Yes, the original score is used (which is exactly why the YouTube video is blocked in the States since the notice that you posted said the video contains content from Warner-Chappell and/or UMG, which are both music distributing companies).

The guys obviously used the released soundtrack and, to fill in the missing gaps, used audio from the film because the change in audio quality is noticeable and sometimes minor, sound effects can be heard. However they managed to do it in a way that none of the film's dialogue comes through. The splicing from one sequence to another is sometimes a bit choppy but they did their best and it doesn't really detract from the overall viewing experience.

@Henry W Jones: You're welcome and good luck.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #83
russds
IndyFan

Watched it. Wow. Amazing achievement for a bunch of kids. It's literally the whole thing (minus the fight on the plane). If anyone is interested, i jotted down some notes as I was watching. They are just thoughts, so didn't really clean them up or anything. Just thought I would share in case anyone is interested.

Quote:
Random thoughts as i watched Raiders the Adaptation: (not particularly organized or spell checked, just chalking them down as i think them.)

They could have at least attempted to recreate the paramount fade to mountain effect. Something so iconic should have at least been attempted, a rock, or tree, or something.

Score adds so much, it’s authentic, it reminds me just how much the JW score adds to to the real movie, and any fan made movie.

The beginning sucks you in, the music is fantastic (original) the shots are all well mimicked, so right off the bat, I’m not bored, and drawn in to watch more.

Oh, they chopped the score around a bit. Using different score for different parts. I suppose they had to do this because of sound effects and what was available on soundtrack at the time.

Ahhh, they didn't do the iconic scene with the sand falling from Indy’s hand in the foreground with the idol in background....really hoped that was in there. oh well.

Guy that plays Indy, is not bad....looks like he really tried to mimic Harrison ford. Facial expressions, tone of voice, and all.

Oh I like how blood was still dripping after Sapito stabbed by the spikes, shows that he was freshly killed, they should have done that in the real movie.

Watching it, i’m smiling, the sincerity, and creativity of these young boys, wow, very moving. It just makes me think how much work this must have been. Bad equipment, volunteer actors, kids, etc, man, the work and commitment to get this done. Amazing.

Tons of little subtleties. “cough, you must understand this is all strictly confidential” looks around. Amazing they were able to catch these things, just watching it in the theater.

Too bad that copyrights might keep this thing locked up, it’s so good. More people should see this.

The sincerity, and child-like magic is just overflowing.

Watching bits and pieces of it online, really doesn't do it justice. Sitting down to watch the whole thing is quite an experience. Every scene is done with a great deal of detail, and spewing with child-like authenticity.

Watching the scene where Indy first meets Marion again, it’s such great dialog. Even watching the scene strips of almost every ‘ Hollywood’ element, the scene is still good.

Bar scene, although it’s pretty dark, it does show they put a lot of work into trying to light the scene in a ‘dark’ way.

Wow, fire in the bar scene looks scary and dangerous, amazing they didn't burn the house down or get seriously injured. Knowing this was just some kids filming in their garage, I felt more suspense in my stomach than watching the real Indy.

Oh man, even the dirty teeth of the guy in Cairo with the knife who confronts Marion. It’s almost like they emphasis these little things, and it’s so funny. I’m laughing out loud.

Wow, Belloq’s actor is pretty good in the bar scene, his attempt at the accent is very good. (actually the whole thing he does well)

Interesting, they even used parts of the last crusade score. LC must have been released by the time they shot scene where Marion was thrown down into the well of souls.

More LC score as Indy brakes a whole in the well of souls wall. Kind of distracting now.

You can kind of see how they got better as the movie goes along, better flow, more actors, better camera(s).

Truck chase is nice, almost whole truck chase cue score used, added a lot.

Nice ghosts at the end. The (with good work from the score) is actually quite chilling.

I would love to see a commentary, or talk from them (during the making of the film). Watching the last scenes, makes me wonder, what they must have felt like, finally finishing their 7-8 year project.

Right through to the end, with every shot, I was wondering how they would pull it off, and everyone of them fed my curiosity with satisfaction.

Watching the list of credits, granted lots of names are repeated, but lots of them aren't either. Amazing this small group of kids got that many people involved.

They sort of chopped in parts of Temple of doom and Last Crusade during the end credits. I love those scores, so I can’t complain, but it seems out of place. They could have just went with the Raiders end credits score, not sure why they chopped in parts of the others.

Ok. Done. Sitting and watching the whole thing, it’s really moving, and touching in a way. Shows what kids can do when they are really interested, and the clear fact it was made in the 80’s 90’s, kind of gives it that old school, nostalgic feeling. Very well done.

I’m hopeful for some kind of Hollywood treatment for this, because it’s got so much childlike magic to it, and so much potential. But I honestly don’t know what Hollywood could do to bottle this up and make another movie about it....it really feels like the only thing that gives it justice is just sitting and watching this movie.
russds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #84
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
Gonna try to make it but I have previous moving plans If I can finish early enough I will probably attend.

I guess you would have posted if you did...did you?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #85
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I guess you would have posted if you did...did you?

No. Unfortunately moving was a fiasco as usual and I could not get there in time.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #86
Stoo
IndyFan

Thumbs up Chris Strompolos in "Rewind This!"

Last week at a local film festival, I watched a new documentary called, "Rewind This!", which is a nostalgic look at the heyday of VHS videotape. (It's worth watching if you're into the subject.)

The documentary contains a 2-3 minute segment about, "The Adaptation", featuring an interview with Chris Strompolos plus some clips & images. He was on an outdoor terrace and there was a nice replica of the Chachapoyan idol sitting on a table behind him.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #87
IndyJames98
IndyFan

Raiders Adaptation on Youtube

NO LIE! it has audio too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-CCeuDt2hw
IndyJames98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #88
indyclone25
IndyFan

hope it stays up for awhile so i can finally see this
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #89
Stoo
IndyFan

Hi, IndyJames98. I posted the same link 7 months ago in this thread:

Raiders: The Adaptation Screenings

Unfortunately, at that time, the audio was blocked for the U.S. of A. Is that still the case? (I'm in Canada at the moment and the audio works).
Old 09-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #90
indyclone25
IndyFan

Quote:
Hi, IndyJames98. I posted the same link 7 months ago in this thread:

Raiders: The Adaptation Screenings

Unfortunately, at that time, the audio was blocked for the U.S. of A. Is that still the case? (I'm in Canada at the moment and the audio works).
the audio was working for at least the first 10 minutes here in the usa
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #91
IndyJames98
IndyFan

the audio worked for the whole time for me. i really liked. despite the lack of good acting in a few small parts.
IndyJames98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #92
Stoo
IndyFan

After re-reading the comments in the other thread, I realize that I made a mistake. The entire video was blocked in the U.S. (not just the audio) because of a music copyright issue. Sorry for the confusion.

Now there is a link on the page to buy the "Raiders March" on iTunes so that must have allowed the video to be unblocked.

---
Anyway, everyone who hasn't seen it should watch it. It's a remarkable achievement, especially the opening of the Ark.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #93
Moedred
Administrator

http://www.msnbc.com/craig-melvin/wa...me-55090243977

The Raiders guys appeared on MSNBC this weekend...
Quote:
The greatest fan film of all time?
Craig Melvin talks with Eric Zala and Chris Strompolos on creating their “shot for shot” remake of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” - a 7 year project created in the 80’s that is now re-surfacing decades later.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #94
pastureized
IndyFan

Many of you may know this if you follow the Raiders Guys, but they have just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the completion of the one scene they couldn't do back in the 80's: the airplane fight. It will be done with all the original cast, all practical effects, etc. Awesomely, if you back them a certain amount you can officially get the actual movie, as a download or on DVD (depending how much you pledge). Really worth checking out if you want to to support them and see the thing from the source rather than a grainy torrent: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...airplane-scene
pastureized is offline   Reply With Quote