Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Trennas
IndyFan

Tomb Raider: The Games

Hi everybody!

Tomb Raider: Underworld will appear in stores this week and since it once again seems to be all about raiding tombs and discovering lost secrets I thought I'd take the oppertunity to open up a new thread about it

I was very fond of the Tomb Raider revival with Legend and Anniversary and I'm glad they can apparently still find the inspiration for more TR games, so I'm rather curious about this one. Anyone else share this feeling?
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Finn

Exclamation Mod note

Moved to another section.

And what comes to the subject itself, will definitely be checking it out. Anniversary was a nice experience (not to mention cool trip down the memory lane).
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
HovitosKing
IndyFan

I plan on picking it up tomorrow after work. Been looking forward to this one for a while now. I'll let you know what I think once I get around to playing it (I've been busy lately trying to make my way through Dead Space, which is a real gem.)
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

No one cares about Tomb Raider lol
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Trennas
IndyFan

Woops, thanks for moving, Finn.. Thought it was in the right section, but apparently it wasn't

Anyways, I think I'll pick it up tomorrow as well.. stores are open until nine so I've got time to swing by after work ^^ I'm really curious about the environments they used for this one; they look really amazing in the released material Also, I've been toying with the idea of doing something with Xibalba for years, and now we get to go there Lara style! Pretty neat

I'm also very curious about Dead Space! Lately, so many games are appearing on PS3 that it has become hard to pick, which is still better than no choice at all; a feeling I greatly had when we still had the Wii.. There were just no fun games for it, except for games that had already come out on all the other platforms and the usual Nintendo games (which are quickly getting old for my taste..) As of now, I'm still in the middle of The Force Unleased, but I can finish that easily this weekend to make space for TR:U
Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trennas
Woops, thanks for moving, Finn.. Thought it was in the right section, but apparently it wasn't
Unless Indy's suddenly grown a giant set of hooters and taken a taste of tight outfits, no it wasn't.

But never mind, the game still looks interesting.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
Paden
IndyFan

I'm a bit behind on the curve on this one. After playing the original Tomb Raider back in the nineties, I picked up the sequel, which never retained my interest, and basically gave up on the series. A couple of months back, a friend of mine repeatedly recommended Tomb Raider: Legend, so I finally snagged a copy and have had a blast with it. Once I'm done, I want to give Anniversary a whirl, especially to see how the original story has been "reinterpreted", and then I'll move on to Underworld, which looks pretty cool. The folks at Crystal Dynamics have done an admirable job reviving a franchise that a fair portion of gamers seem to have written off.
Paden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Trennas
IndyFan

Agreed, it was a very hard and admirable thing they did, but I'm glad they did it anyway. Legend was a lot of fun, Zip and Alistair were a great addition and just kept cracking me up over and over again. Too bad they weren't too be found in Anniversary, but the game still managed to hold its own. I was very glad to see that they made changes and additions to the story though, because in the original Tomb Raider that was quite a mess
Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Hedwig
IndyFan

I enjoyed playing Anniversary, and I'll definitely buy Underworld. I have never played Legend though...
Hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Trennas
IndyFan

Oh, you definitly should! Of course its a personal experience, but despite its shortness (you can race through the game in under 8 hours i think?) I found Legend to be more fun than Anniversary. I think it was because mostly because of the restart of the series and because Lara's helping hands were a wonderful addition to the formula
Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Uh okay, just got back from Best Buy and it wasn't there. I also stopped in on Tuesday because I think at one point that was a release date, but no go. So the guy said he hadn't seen Underworld for PS3 yet, only 360. Guess I'll have to wait until the weekend or next week...
Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
Trennas
IndyFan

That's kind of odd because the US release date was set on November 18, which means that it should have been in stores at Tuesday, as you said.. That they still don't have it is a mystery to me, altough sometimes it happens that games appear earlier or later in stores than they should.. For instance, FarCry 2 was released here a day before its release date.. Íf I have time, I'll go and check for TR:U tonight, see if it is out here
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
ninepinejones
IndyFan

anniversary help

I thought this would be the perfect time to ask anyone if they know how to get past the first encounter with the t-rex on "anniversary", I cant figure it out and so I have stopped playing, i just dont get it. some advice would be greatly appreciated.
ninepinejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Hedwig
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepinejones
I thought this would be the perfect time to ask anyone if they know how to get past the first encounter with the t-rex on "anniversary", I cant figure it out and so I have stopped playing, i just dont get it. some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you noticed the spiky things around the area? You should do the "Adrenaline Dodge" and make the T-Rex to hit the spiky things. There's a video of it on Youtube I think..
Performing the Adrenaline Dodge:
1) Shoot the enemy as long as the rage meter is filled.
2) Keep your weapons out and locked to the enemy, wait until the enemy dashes towards you and the screen blurs, and press "Crouch" button with the Direction you want to dodge.
3) A grey reticule should appear and when it turns red, press "Shoot".
You can find the instructions in the instructions booklet too.
I hope this helps...
Hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
Dr. Wolfwood
IndyFan

The only problem I have with Lara Croft games is the millisecond timing clickety-click fest that you have to engage in at some points. All the puzzles and adventuring are fun to do, but I just hate those super-precision bits. One can hope that the Underground has less of that stuff in it and more of adventuring.
Dr. Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
ninepinejones
IndyFan

thanks Hedwig, I thought thats what was supposed to be done but I could never time the adrenaline dodge correctly. I will try again today,thanks.
ninepinejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Trennas
IndyFan

I always hate those too The worst thing is that a lot of games do those little "push the right button at the right time" gimmick, while I actually think it's more frustrating (because you usually have to do it over and over and over again until you get it right) than an addition to gameplay. I remember the end battle of God of War II, which took me nearly three hour until I got the sequence right.. Everytime you missed just one button tap, you had to start all over again Never been closer to throwing a controller through the window than at that time

As for TRU, I think they kept the action scenes, but removed the precise button pushing from it, allowing it to feel more natural.. Won't be sure until I've actually seen it though..

And that T-rex was a real pain in the butt

O, went by one store today and they didn't have the game either.. Which pretty much leads me to believe that the developer pretty much pushed the deadline as far as they could and that the game was shipped at the very last moment, making the distribution somewhat problematic.. I'll keep my eyes open though; there are more stores to check
Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Benraianajones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig
Have you noticed the spiky things around the area? You should do the "Adrenaline Dodge" and make the T-Rex to hit the spiky things. There's a video of it on Youtube I think..
Performing the Adrenaline Dodge:
1) Shoot the enemy as long as the rage meter is filled.
2) Keep your weapons out and locked to the enemy, wait until the enemy dashes towards you and the screen blurs, and press "Crouch" button with the Direction you want to dodge.
3) A grey reticule should appear and when it turns red, press "Shoot".
You can find the instructions in the instructions booklet too.
I hope this helps...

First time I played it, I managed to hide in a corner and constantly shot the T rex or awhile til its health went, ha! Didn't know about the dodge at the time!
Benraianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #19
Trennas
IndyFan

That's another way to do it of course

I remember I really hated that T-rex fight because I didn't really know what to do, or more that I got it wrong every time, but after progressing further in the game, the T-rex fight was actually quite easy.. Those Centaurs however; those are just gosh darn nasty
Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #20
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Okay I bought Underworld for PS3 and after playing it for a few hours have just a few things to mention.

1. It is DAMN hard to play this game when you're constantly distracted by a totally hot Lara Croft in HD. wow.

2. The camera sucks, lots of issues with it losing views (not staying centered on Lara as she moves or climbs around) and objects occluding the view; difficult to control that but whatever.

3. Often glitchy, with Lara getting stuck on walls and spazzing out when trying to swim.

4. The sonar map sucks, I can't seem to get any useful info from it. Not really a big deal though.

Those are my only complaints, and number 1 is hardly a complaint at all. Still, so far it's a great game and I'd recommend buying it. lots of fun and totally worth the coin.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
Indy Croft
IndyFan

I'm a big fan to TR series and i've been waiting for this since the annouce of release. But exam's comin up soon, I'll get it with Call of Duty 5 in Decmeber when exam's over. Right now I'm sticking with Emperor's Tomb. Can't wait to get it trailers were awesome!!!
Indy Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Dead Space is history. Now that I've saved humanity from alien zombies, I can focus my full attention on Lara Croft. For anyone with a PS3 and a taste for survival horror, Dead Space is an instant classic. As for Underworld, I'm currently making my way through coastal Thailand. Amazing stuff.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
Trennas
IndyFan

Glad you're having a blast with it!

I myself will have to wait for a while longer as I'm a bit short on cash right now. Ah, student life.. it sucks
Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #24
Ska
IndyFan

Are there a lot of spiders in the game?

I hate spiders. I hated them in the Resident Evil series, Infernal Machine, and in Tomb Raider II.

Can't wait to get this game, though!
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #25
Trennas
IndyFan

Ugh, spiders, definitly one of the most overly used enemies when it comes to games.. right next to zombies, germans and aliens.. and they give me the creeps too