Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Le Saboteur

The first trailer has finally been released (just in time for Stoo's head to explode!).

Michael Cieply said:
The idea of Lincoln as supernatural savior was born in 2008, when Mr. Grahame-Smith, who is based in Los Angeles, had just finished the manuscript for his successful Jane Austen sendup, ?Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.? He found himself in bookstores between tables full of ?Twilight? novels and those piled high with Lincolniana. ?Sort of shrewdly, from a cynical standpoint, I thought, ?Wouldn?t it be great if you could combine these two things,? ? Mr. Grahame-Smith said. That was the impulse behind his ?Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter? novel, which was published last year by Grand Central Publishing.

Article: Aside From Vampires, Lincoln Film Seeks Accuracy

Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Hunter-Night-550x814.jpg

Indy's brother

Well it looks absolutely ridiculous. Hard to say what brand of ridiculous. If they're playing it completely straight, this looks bad so far. If it's going to be tongue in cheek the whole way through I could be interested, though.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
The first trailer has finally been released (just in time for Stoo's head to explode!).
:dead: Even better timing because it was Abe's birthday just 3 days ago! It wouldn't surprise me if the trailer was released on Feb. 12th.

The vampire fighting doesn't interest me but the historical period does and those large-scale shots look impressive and worth seeing. While I still think the concept is STUPID, I will watch the film (with an open mind) when it comes out on DVD.
Indy's brother said:
Well it looks absolutely ridiculous.
Hear! Hear!(y)

Indy's brother

Regarding the trailer, it depicts The Washington monument: A monument that wasn't completed until 1884. 19 years after Lincoln's death. Hmmm. Funny how I could suspend my belief about Lincoln slaying vampires, but unless there is a reasonable explanation for the appearance of this structure in the film, it kind of takes me out of it's conceit/universe.

HJTHX1138

Indy's brother said:
Well it looks absolutely ridiculous. Hard to say what brand of ridiculous. If they're playing it completely straight, this looks bad so far.

I actually kinda like the fact it could be played "Straight".

I think that's what will make it entertaining. If they were trying to be "tongue-in-cheek", it would loose some of it's humor because it wouldn't evoke the same tone.

It's funny that it's serious. It's built in humor.

It's looks more interesting than most of what came out this year, I'll give it a shot.

(That Washington Monument bit is weird. Maybe it's part of the plot? A giant stake to kill a planetoid sized vampire?)

00Kevin

Indyfan
this could be pretty cool. i'm not as interested in the action as i am in the mind games. if they portray lincoln as a trouble, deep thinking man with an internal struggle I think i could really enjoy this film

Indy's brother

featofstrength said:
so he can track a vampire, but he cant hear a guy sneak into his private box at the theatre?

die vampire fad, die.:dead:

Lincoln needs vampires like he needs a hole in the head. Bud-ump-bump.

...what, too soon?

Joe Brody

Indy's brother said:
Regarding the trailer, it depicts The Washington monument: A monument that wasn't completed until 1884. 19 years after Lincoln's death. Hmmm. Funny how I could suspend my belief about Lincoln slaying vampires, but unless there is a reasonable explanation for the appearance of this structure in the film, it kind of takes me out of it's conceit/universe.

Given the fade to Lincoln, I take it as a giant stake in the middle of Washington. Also, its hard enough to find vertical elements to fill a frame, so 19 years is a small matter.

The Trailer's real energy and novel texture doesn't square with the book, which is really is flat (especially in the beginning and doesn't hold a candle to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies). I hope this is more than a clever trailor that builds on the concept and not just the book.

HovitosKing

Indy's brother said:

Well if he's some kind of supernatural being, then they could imply he's still around or active today (or at least later than his recorded death)...but I still think it looks pretty bad either way. I am completely and utterly sick of vampires and zombies. Oversaturation leads to boredom.

Joe Brody

HovitosKing said:
Well if he's some kind of supernatural being, then they could imply he's still around or active today (or at least later than his recorded death)...

Having read the book, I tried some misdirection in my post above. It might not be a bad idea to spoiler-alert the post above. But anyone closely watching the trailer will see contemporary buildings on the hills of Arlington across the river.

HovitosKing said:
. . . .but I still think it looks pretty bad either way. I am completely and utterly sick of vampires and zombies. Oversaturation leads to boredom.

You're right -- but I find myself still having bandwidth for the right endeavor. There's something inherently satisfying with seeing Lincoln kicking ass. And while the book fell short, it tickles me the way events from Lincoln's real life and the civil war are woven into a coherent vampire hunting narrative. And that narrative -- in the hands of the right filmmaker -- may be something special. Just listening to the clock ticking and Johnny Cash in the trailer takes me somewhere. I hope there's a tight adaptation there and I'm excited (granted not as excited as I am for On the Road) to see this. Hopefully this isn't cinematic Kate Upton -- it looks great until it opens its mouth.

. . . .oh, and I second the observation that this film needs some female sexing up. Let's just hope it's not Mary Todd (shudders).

Last edited:

Archaeos

Is this a joke? Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

Seth Grahame-Smith, who wrote the pop-novel mash-up on which the movie is based, said he was beginning to suspect that his ?Vampire Hunter? conceit tapped something deeper than originally planned. Speaking by telephone last week, he said he couldn?t help thinking of Lincoln and vampires on seeing President Obama with ?his chest pumped up? after the killing of Osama bin Laden.

You cannot be serious!? *John McEnroe Voice*

?There?s something in the American psyche, we want our presidents to be warriors,? Mr. Grahame-Smith said. ?We?re giving that to Abraham Lincoln, sort of posthumously in this case.?

Because Lincoln was really not a warrior at all, and never achieved anything lasting beyond his presidency that would be worth mentioning today even in niche historian circles, let alone making a more accurate film about :eek:

I really am not sure that the movie industry does itself some good by pushing into the ever more debilitating mash-up 'Kolportage' genre. What's next?

?What Lincoln did,? Mr. Bekmambetov said, ?was like what Jesus did 2,000 years ago: he freed people.?

Oh, that was next...

...there is no facepalm smiley in this forum... The 'Films' sections kinda makes that a requirement, doesn't it? :whip: ;)