• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

fridgeraider

I used scotch pad very very lightly but it worked well.

If I'm not mistaken your tod is on eBay. Lovely leather that one. I'd be having it if I hadn't just bought one ;)

Major West

Streamlining your collection I see. Which ones are you keeping?

I cant bring myself to sell any of mine, unless it doesn't fit.

Drones33

Ah yes, thinning out the herd. It's tough but has to be done, no more room in the wardrobe, got to be ruthless so I'm selling the TOD and the Skyfall. ( Last in/first out )
TOD; probably my favourite fit of all the Indy jackets, particularly across the back and shoulders, but I recently saw a couple of pics from behind of me wearing it and Just looks way too long. Fine from the front, but at the back it hangs about level with the bottom of my back pockets. Should've ordered about an inch and a half shorter. And the pockets. Screen accurate, yes, but pretty useless. Too small for my phone, wallet, can't get my hands into the hand warmers... Shame really; great fit, love the Novapelle, beautiful jacket overall, just not quite right.
Skyfall; again really nice fit, though very different from the Indy jackets. Very snug like a 30's motorcycle jacket, and I was very happy with it at first.
But the collar... Really long and pointy, it sits very flat and reaches almost to the shoulder seam, which is fine if a bit 70's disco, but as I walk the ends of the collar bounce up and down. Like a little pair of flapping wings. Drives me krazy. I've tried wetting and re-shaping them, even considered having them sewn down, but no. Flappy little wings. Might not bother everyone, bothers me though. Again, a shame cos there are aspects of it that are tremendous .
So, the plan is, I'm going to see if Wested are able to put together something of a hybrid for me; TOD jacket ( bit shorter this time) with Raiders Hero pockets and zip, and possibly a half belted back like the Skyfall jacket. Something that's quite unique and personal.
That leaves me with, as well as a little extra space in the wardrobe, a Hero, a custom Raiders, a custom LC, and the hybrid jacket that I plan to order. PLUS... When I was on holiday in the States I bought a Cockpit A2 in heavy duty antique lambskin. Absolutely stunning. Could not resist. I'll stick a few photos on Instagram .

Major West

The pockets are a bit annoying on the ToD jacket. Otherwise it looks good. :whip:

It's a bit of a dilemma though, about how do you get a practical ToD jacket without altering accuracy too much. Raiders hero pockets might look too big. I would probably ask them to extend the outside pockets slightly and add the optional extra inside pocket (with zip). I might do that myself one day.

The jacket I'm wearing the least at the moment is my OTR Last Crusade, it's a nice fit but since finding out it's the least accurate of all the Wested jackets I've slightly gone off it. Collar is not accurate for LC or CS. Same for the pockets. Only the press stud identify it as LC. I knew it didn't look right, but I was never a scholar of the LC jacket until more recently. I hope Wested release the LC Hero soon, then I'll buy one. Otherwise you need to order a custom with a detailed number of modifications to get more accuracy. I'm not the biggest accuracy nut, but the pattern isn't right.

Makel37

My own leather jacket

14433151_313915255635477_8381938336588757603_n.jpg

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=37c172f15f338e867e3e00ab66cc9e78&oe=587AE8DE

Drones33

Major West said:
The pockets are a bit annoying on the ToD jacket. Otherwise it looks good. :whip:

It's a bit of a dilemma though, about how do you get a practical ToD jacket without altering accuracy too much. Raiders hero pockets might look too big. I would probably ask them to extend the outside pockets slightly and add the optional extra inside pocket (with zip). I might do that myself one day.

The jacket I'm wearing the least at the moment is my OTR Last Crusade, it's a nice fit but since finding out it's the least accurate of all the Wested jackets I've slightly gone off it. Collar is not accurate for LC or CS. Same for the pockets. Only the press stud identify it as LC. I knew it didn't look right, but I was never a scholar of the LC jacket until more recently. I hope Wested release the LC Hero soon, then I'll buy one. Otherwise you need to order a custom with a detailed number of modifications to get more accuracy. I'm not the biggest accuracy nut, but the pattern isn't right.

It's an odd one, the LC. I find it really comfortable, nicely loose, but as you say, just not quite right. I'll be interested to see how the long awaited hero LC differs.

And yes, you're right. The TOD situation is a dilemma. I've promised myself I'll give it a week on eBay, if it doesn't sell I'll keep it ( at least I will have tried to thin out the collection, albeit half-heartedly) and may send it to Wested for some alterations.

PS. Makel37... You're off to a good start :)

Major West

New Jacket. Custom Raiders in Goatskin (Westeds new Goatskin). It doesn't look it in the picture but it's a shade darker than the authentic lamb colour. Not by a huge margin, probably 5% darker. I needed another size 40". As that's my size now. Ordered with buckles and x-box stitch. Gussets and extra inside pocket. Special request, silver zip. I quite like it, despite being a tough leather I think it's lighter in weight than my authentic lamb. It is very soft though. One to consider. If I want it to look distressed though, I may have to do that myself.:gun:

Goat_Raiders.jpg

Major West

I'd say the new Goatskin is almost as soft as the lamb, there's still a subtle difference. It's definitely not stiff by any means and certainly comfortable to wear. The goat seems to drape just as well as the lamb, but I've not worn it for long. Be interesting to see if it locks in my shape. Not aging as well as the lambskin without intervention may be a drawback, but we'll see.

You could also consider a ToD in this skin, IMO.

Last edited:

Glenville86

I have a Wested LC in horsehide and goat and they are indeed a strange fit. Great jackets until you lift your arms and the flying squirrel effect kicks in.

On my Wested TOD, I just requested pockets smaller than Raiders and it came out well. Not a fan of the tiny pockets. From what I have read, the small pockets are from the original jacket design for a certain size and everyone gets the tiny pockets that fit that one jacket.

Major West

The whole Wested pattern for the ToD is duplicated from a movie used jacket that they borrowed from the estate of one of the ToD costume designers. So it will be the size that Harrison Ford wore.:whip: (I believe it's been identified as one of the two jackets he wore in the movie. I agree the pockets are small and not much good for anything other than change and a small wallet in them. Luckily as you say you can request larger pockets, or have an additional inside pocket added. Although if the pockets are too large I think it stops looking like a ToD Jacket.

Drones33

Had this a couple of weeks. Off the rail Wested LC in pre distressed cow. Ive streamlined my collection dramatically and had no intention of picking up a new one, until I saw online some recent pics of how Wested`s pre distressed looks these days; much improved on the mottled, almost stone washed look it used to have. Great jacket, probably my last... for the moment.
pd_cow_1_1_by_00177840-dalfofn.jpg

pd_cow_2_1_by_00177840-dalfoi1.jpg

Glenville86

Drones33 - Great looking jacket. Did you treat the leather at all? I picked up one in the same leather not too long ago. Gave it one coat of pecards and it turned a nice darker shade of brown with the distressing being not as pronounced. Guy at work who buys expensive leather jackets said it looked great for an older jacket.............

Drones33

I gave the seams, collar edges, cuffs etc a gentle going over with a pan scourer, not as abrasive as sand paper so the stitching remains undamaged, then gave it a quick shower. Just enough to wet it evenly but not enough to soak through to the lining, then wore it to go for a walk. I was wearing it outside in fairly warm weather for about 2 hours and this is the result. I intend to give it a coat of Pecards. I'm most impressed with Westeds latest pre distressed. It actually looks old and well worn rather than just faded a bit :hat:
I think it would work really well for a TOD too.

AttyOzzy

Joined the Wested Jacket Club

Hi Fellow Raiders!

I just ordered a custom made "Heavy Duty Horsehide" Indy Wested. Very excited to receive. I have had wonderful customer service. All my emails are answered timely and they have been very informative as to my obsessive- compulsive questions.

I have a bison US Wings - but I am thinking maybe the horsehide will be a little lighter to wear on slightly warmer days.

I like the look of the D rings option on the Wested so I ordered that style. Anyone ever have any issues with the D rings staying in place?

Everyone's jackets look great on these postings.

Oh anyone recommend a good whip maker - I see some older recommendations - looking for a current recommendation. Thank you!:whip:

Glenville86

Horsehide is my favorite leather for a jacket. The Wested HH is heavier than their other leathers but not nearly as heavy as say an Aero. HH jackets are all over the place in thickness depending on the manufacturer.

I tend to not start wearing my Wested HH jackets until the temps get into the forties during most of the day. My Aero HH when the temps are in the thirties.

Have never had any problems with the D-Rings staying in place.

Drones33

Ive had no problems with the D rings either, they`re fine, do their job.
look forward to seeing your HH when it arrives:hat:

AttyOzzy

Thank you Drones33 and Glenville86! I am looking forward to its arrival. Then I will have to learn how to post the photo!