Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Random photos

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Death to the Caption Contest!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deadlock

A long time ago, in galaxy far, far away?

A bunch of Indyfans eagerly awaited the release of ?Indiana Jones and the Emperor?s Tomb?. To pass the time and slake their lust for Jones video game action, the intrepid Westford created the first caption contest on January 26, 2003. The rules were simple: submit your caption, be judged at the end of the week by the creator of the current contest. The winner in turn, went on to fortune and glory (and creating the next installment of the caption contest).

Well, my friends, time has passed... Many strange and wonderful screenshots and many stranger and not-so-wonderful captions have graced the Raven in the last year and a half. As we eagerly await the next Indy Revelation, how shall we pass our time??? More video game caption contests? Or venture into movie caption contests? Perhaps random photo caption contests?

It is up to you, my inebriated colleagues, to decide.

intergamer

Deadlock said:
It is up to you, my inebriated colleagues, to decide.

inebriated? there's a word I haven't heard outside of Emily Dickinson and prohibition circles :)

I'd be happy with screenshot captions from the movies, over the video games captions which seem to me to have been beaten to death.
but i'm not voting yet in case someone has a great idea...I'm sure there's other similar things. Actually, the only one that springs to mind is the 'Find six differences between these pictures' game, but there must be more.

There's also a scavenger hunt type thing, where one person posts a list of things. Then the competitors race to gather pictures of each thing on the list and post them. This seems silly, but can actually get quite intriguing - where a picture is difficult to find, other things can subsitute, based on tricky combined punned versions of the item on the list and so forth. If anyone wants me to explain further, I'll take the time to do so.

I don't know how, but somehow one might be able to combine captioning with the 'questions game', or even radically change the thing altogether to something besides captioning - but maintaining the concept of a single winner each round who carries on the torch.

Another thing is, although this would certainly not replace the caption contest, we could have a Boardolympics, with such events as misspellingathon, long thread diversion, newbie introduction - this would involve members declaring the country they are playing for and having a real competition :)

Both the boardolympics and scavenger hunt ideas were taken from the terrypratchettbooks forum (which i don't post on but check occasionally)

Last edited:

Deadlock

Intergamer, sounds like you have a lot of ideas of how we can fritter away more time on the Internet. :) If you want to set any of these other diversions up... go for it. I'll probably frequent them.

intergamer said:
inebriated? there's a word I haven't heard outside of Emily Dickinson and prohibition circles :)

<small>How about a "Synonyms for Drunk" Contest?

Intoxicated
Wasted
Plastered
Blasted
Shnockered
Liquored up
Three sheets to the wind</small>

Okay, back to the topic at hand... the Caption Contest.

Indyologist

I LOVE the caption contests, personally. It just would be nice to mix up the media. Have a video game pic one day, a movie pic another, etc...

Finn

Staff member
Well, I really can't tell you not to renew it... so if you want to try something new like movie captions, sure thing, go ahead (and remember to put in Indy Misc from now on, too)...

Redwall

I don't remember there being all that many LC/FoA shots... I suppose with an adventure game it already has dialogue, but...

Another idea from another forum: several random shots (probably from movies) put together to form a sort of comic strip that you have to make up captions for.

Deadlock

*BUMP*

A quick note, ladies and gentlemen, that this poll will close on Sunday. Just a friendly reminder to vote. :)

MP3

Deadlock said:
<small>How about a "Synonyms for Drunk" Contest?

Intoxicated
Wasted
Plastered
Blasted
Shnockered
Liquored up
Three sheets to the wind</small>

Hmmmmph. Add Shikker (Yiddish/Hebrew for drunk) to the list.

Anyway, I like the CC the way it was till now. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Why not start another caption contest in addition to the game screenshot caption contest? This new one could be the movies or the TV show, or even poster art. I don't see why we can't.

Deadlock

My fellow Raveners, the votes are in and?

Well?

Um...

We?re pretty much right back where we started... What else can you expect from poll started by a guy called "Deadlock"??? ;) So, even though this is against my mother?s advice, I?m going to try to make everyone happy with the future direction of the caption contest.

Anyway? by the power vested in me by the mighty and awful snow demons, I declare that we shall have the "Indiana Jones Caption Contest" where the pictures for captioning shall fit the following criteria.

1. The picture shall involve, portray, or refer to Indiana Jones,
2. Eligible pictures include: movie screenshots, behind the scenes or production photos, video game screenshots, publicity photos, comics, posters, Indy spoofs.

Look for the new caption contest coming to a Misc. Table near you.

<small>If this solution doesn?t fulfill your every wish desire, send your complaints to:
big-mean-german-mechanic@doyouwantanothersenselessbeating?.com. ;)</small>

Last edited: