TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Snow outside Indy's home?

Was there snow outside Indy's home in Raiders? It looked like there was some unmelted snow outside his house.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Yes, it's been mentioned before, as a reference point for figuring out just when in 1936 Raiders takes place. You can see the discussion, including the mention of the snow, over in this Indy chronology thread.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Stoo
IndyFan

Indeed, it's definitely a patch of melting snow. It looks like the final remnants of a snow bank thawing out on the sidewalk. In the 2 exterior shots, there are no leaves on the ground and the trees are green with no signs of turning colour. This is a strong indication for spring season (and as a Long Islander, I'm sure you're familiar with that).

As Crack said, we discussed it back in the Chronology thread...albeit, 3 and half years ago.

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Indeed, it's definitely a patch of melting snow. It looks like the final remnants of a snow bank thawing out on the sidewalk. In the 2 exterior shots, there are no leaves on the ground and the trees are green with no signs of turning colour. This is a strong indication for spring season (and as a Long Islander, I'm sure you're familiar with that).

As Crack said, we discussed it back in the Chronology thread...albeit, 3 and half years ago.

That is the reason I brought it up, cause it would lead us to believe Raiders took place towards the end of winter. This happens to be right around when the Ultimate Guide dates Raiders. The last bits of snow still on the ground would fit well with Connecticut around this time of year, much like Long Island which is right across the Long Island Sound from CT (though we didn't get much snow this year).
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
HenryJunior
IndyFan

Wow I've never noticed that! I guess I've blindly thought it was just sidewalk. Well, we need to ask the question is it a continuity error or is it just mismatched stock footage?
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
foreverwingnut
IndyFan

It's good that this was brought up again because I probably never would have read the three-years-old reference to it. The shot in the film is so brief that I never took notice of the white patch. I love learning new details of these films. Thanks for the post!
foreverwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote