• Tank Fight (Vogel)

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Big Damn Ants (Dovchenko)

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters

Stoo

Walton said:
It represents the Nazi party.
No, the swastika represents the party. (The eagle represents something else...)
Walton said:
None of us definitively knows each soldier's beliefs either way. But we do not need to. Indy doesn't. They are associated with the Nazi party (and its agenda to bring the Ark to Hitler), and knowing that is enough for him.
Right. We don't need to know their individual beliefs. They are the antagonists. They are the bad guys in the story and that is obvious but you are calling ALL OF THEM evil Nazis. (By the way, the Afrika Korps have a pretty stainless record and were never accused of any crimes.)
Walton said:
And we as an audience have to assume that the soldiers are intelligent and competent men who knowingly aligned themselves with the Nazi party. To me, they seemed to be a threat to Indy, but if you're suggesting they were ignorant of what they were getting involved in, well that makes Indy seem less of a hero and more a bully picking on a bunch of dummies.
Why would that lessen Indy's 'hero' status? Regardless of each soldiers' political ideals, they are the force he must fight against in order to get what he was hired for...and, yes, many Germans were ignorant of what they were getting involved in. Speaking of "dummies", your above statement fits the bill quite well!:whip:
Walton said:
If they joined the military but didn't believe in Nazi ideals, they'd have stayed out of the way. Conscientious objectors always end up at the back of the line pulling kitchen duty. All the soldiers you didn't see Indy pound on...we can make that assumption about them.

We agree, they're not registered. But that doesn't stop them from believing what registered members believe, in part if not in whole. Whether they're "bona-fide" members like Toht is irrelevant. I think that if those who didn't believe in Nazi ideals wouldn't have joined a military associated with the Nazi party.
Political and military factions are not inextricably linked. An army (of any country) is a tool to be used by each passing government, whether the actions or just or not. They follow orders. The German army grew after Hitler was elected but there is such a thing as 'career soldiers' who chose army life as a profession and were part of it long before Adolf came to power.
Walton said:
...a German who is part of the military at that time likely believes as registered Nazi members do.
You are so wrong that I don't even know where to begin...For example, it is well known that Rommel (who eventually commanded the Afrika Korps) did not hold to Hitler's ideals and disobeyed orders to shoot Jewish prisoners, etc. At the time of his death, one of his requests was to have NO political symbols at his funeral.

Anti-Nazi sentiment within the military was present from the very beginning of Hitler's reign. Why do you think so many attempts were made (BY MEN IN THE ARMY) to assassinate him?

---
On Topic: For 2nd place, it's either the fight against the Thug chief or the fight with the Sargeant during the truck chase in "Raiders".

AnythingGoes

Stoo said:
No, the swastika represents the party. (The eagle represents something else...)
Right. We don't need to know their individual beliefs. They are the antagonists. They are the bad guys in the story and that is obvious but you are calling ALL OF THEM evil Nazis. (By the way, the Afrika Korps have a pretty stainless record and were never accused of any crimes.)
Why would that lessen Indy's 'hero' status? Regardless of each soldiers' political ideals, they are the force he must fight against in order to get what he was hired for...and, yes, many Germans were ignorant of what they were getting involved in. Speaking of "dummies", your above statement fits the bill quite well!:whip:
Political and military factions are not inextricably linked. An army (of any country) is a tool to be used by each passing government, whether the actions or just or not. They follow orders. The German army grew after Hitler was elected but there is such a thing as 'career soldiers' who chose army life as a profession and were part of it long before Adolf came to power.
You are so wrong that I don't even know where to begin...For example, it is well known that Rommel (who eventually commanded the Afrika Korps) did not hold to Hitler's ideals and disobeyed orders to shoot Jewish prisoners, etc. At the time of his death, one of his requests was to have NO political symbols at his funeral.

Anti-Nazi sentiment within the military was present from the very beginning of Hitler's reign. Why do you think so many attempts were made (BY MEN IN THE ARMY) to assassinate him?

---
On Topic: For 2nd place, it's either the fight against the Thug chief or the fight with the Sargeant during the truck chase in "Raiders".
You're very knowledgeable, Stoo! I wish I had the capacity to hold facts and details in my head.
:whip:

Doctor_Indy321

Definately the tank fight. i liked the music that played on it. i easily saw the music from Star Wars! but, yeah, that is the same composer

Adventure Girl

I have to got with the tank scene, the the Airplane wing.

The tank because of the suspence and there were so many exciting things going on at once it was one of my favorite scees.:) I also enjoyed the end when they all thought he was dead nad had gone down with the tank when he climbed up th side and was lookiung down behind them. One of my favorite Indy moments right there.:whip:

Montana Smith

This, which appeared on Sideshow Freaks, sums up the best fight!

inddy-gif.gif

Indy Scout 117

i understand that the fight against the German mechanic was an epic battle and all, but that was a losing fight for Indy. if the mechanic had seen the propellers he'd have kicked Indy's ass big time. THATS why i really enjoyed the Dovchenko fight because that was the one ligit fight scene that Indy dominated in. i dunno i just think its awesome to see Indy being a badass instead of gettin his ass handed to him. agree or disagree, but what one thing is for sure about the Dovchenko fight: even though Indy was a lot older in that film he still knows how to land some good punches, y'know what i mean?? :whip:

Montana Smith

Indy Scout 117 said:
i understand that the fight against the German mechanic was an epic battle and all, but that was a losing fight for Indy. if the mechanic had seen the propellers he'd have kicked Indy's ass big time. THATS why i really enjoyed the Dovchenko fight because that was the one ligit fight scene that Indy dominated in. i dunno i just think its awesome to see Indy being a badass instead of gettin his ass handed to him. agree or disagree, but what one thing is for sure about the Dovchenko fight: even though Indy was a lot older in that film he still knows how to land some good punches, y'know what i mean?? :whip:

Most of Indy's fights are as the underdog. The propeller saved him from the Mechanic; the rock crusher from the big Thuggee; his revolver from the Cairo swordsman; the rope bridge from the Thuggee, and so on.

The Dovchenko fight was to be no different. Indy was saved by a stick and a swarm of fire ants. From the perspective of the screenplay directions it went like this:

KOTCS Final Shooting Script

Indy and Dovchenko are in a fistfight for the ages, and Indy’s getting his ass kicked.

Indy is now bleeding in his nose and mouth. Indy on his back barely turns around and starts to crawl towards his hat, he is about to pick it up but instead he picks up a large tree stick with his right hand. Indy turns quickly and hits Dov with the stick, and then punches him four times, Dovchenko lands flat on his back --

-- in the middle of the sea of ants. They immediately overcome him, going in his ears, his mouth, his nostrils -- and then start biting to make holes of their own.

Dovchenko’s body starts to move, horizontally along the ground, floating six inches above the jungle floor.

The Russian SCREAMS as the army ants carry him away to another dirt mound and drag him down into it, to devour him in peace.

That's what I like about Indy. He isn't the all-conquering and invulnerable hero, but more of an everyman imbued with more than his fair share of luck, backed up by his resourcefulness. He's not averse to resorting to devious methods or dirty fighting in order to survive.

You're right that Indy's age is a big factor: he shows he's still got the same power and determination that he had twenty years before. It's a rare moment in the film when he gets to break the shackles.

EvilEmperorZoRG

The Drifter said:
I have to go with the Tank fight.
I love how the whole piece is set up. Indy having to deal with saving his father on the treads of the tank while Vogel is slapping him around. I love it!

That and one of the most epic scenes in movie history, when Indy shoots 3 nazis with a single bullet and then looks with that expression the gun :D
Just awesome
Otherwise I love 2nd the mechanic fight, the .....
Oh damn I love them all (y)
Can't let any one last.

oki9Sedo

Indy Scout 117 said:

Certainly Dovchenko didn't dominate Indy nearly as much as the German mechanic did, but he still did dominate. Indy gets loads of punches in, but they do very little, whereas although Dovchenko gets very few punches in, but they slam Indy to the ground each time.

michael said:
The drama inside the tank with Marcus and Henry, the way Vogel fights so dirty, the way Indy hangs on just by his satchel (and then for his life on the cliff), all the music that accompanies it, just wonderful.
Didn't they both fight dirty?
michael said:
And really, does it get any better than Indy just smashing Vogel's face over and over again?
Yes, the latter's orgasmic scream as his tank drives over the edge of the cliff.

Orellana

I love all these fights very much, and they all have their best and weakest moments. I voted the German mechanic, simply because it is the one that Indy is least likely to win (It seems), but he beats all odds (Like always!) and the German guy is chopped up. Question: why didn't he use his gun?!:gun:

Johnb02

I have to agree with pellman. He just wanted to fight and they were just doing there duties to protect the plane. And who knows, maybe he wasn't even going to kill him! I would have saved the German mechanic because he didn't really deserve it much.

My favorite is the rock crusher one. Fast paced action, cool setting on the conveyor to the rock crusher. It just gives you that feeling, "He has to get away!" because he would have been crushed.

Ants is a close second. The CGI ants I liked, the action, and Dovchenko was awesome. I like when he is eaten by the ants too.

Third is the tank fight. Again it gives you that feeling, "He has to get away!" because he would have been hit by the rock. Vogel was very cool and really hated him more then the Thuggee and Dovchenko. He was determineed to kill Indy and the tank falling off and Indy was still ok, well, I didn't really like it. I'm glad Indy survived, but the way it ended I didn't like.

Flying wing was least. From the beginning of this post, you should know why.