George Lucas tweaks Star Wars yet again

No Ticket

I personally am looking forward to the Blu-Ray version of these films. I can't wait to see it. And I agree, that scene of Luke would have ruined the mystery behind the plan, his first appearance and the first appearance of his lightsaber. So it's wise to cut it out, but cool to finally get to see it. Although, now that I saw it on YouTube, it's not really much of a selling point is it? I guess I could see that cut scene in high def now haha... but I don't think they'll be making the footage of that high def haha.

Um, are there any other new special features/cut scenes for this version or was that it?

... personally, I am for the re-release of the trilogy in 3D. I know 3D is being milked to death and is ridiculous and the fad should end. But not before Mr. Lucas milks it. I honestly wouldn't mind going back to the theater for Star Wars 3D.

Goonie

kongisking said:
Personally, I hope Luke's green lightsaber in ANH is fixed and made blue again. That annoyed the **** out of me!

I say make Luke a BMF and give him a purple saber. (y)

bonoferox

kongisking said:
Personally, I hope Luke's green lightsaber in ANH is fixed and made blue again. That annoyed the **** out of me!

Weird how I didn't notice this until I just re-watched it again this week. I've always had my concentration on Obi-Wan in that shot.

Exulted Unicron

Ya know, I'd love to see the Anchorhead and Toschii Station scenes in the movie, as well as the early Cantina scenes where "Jenny" was with Han and there was no Chewie. But the big thing here is, I want to see the ORIGINAL version of these movies, before Lucas got the CGI bug and added everything and even made Han a hero and made Greedo shoot first.

kongisking

Goonie said:
I say make Luke a BMF and give him a purple saber. (y)

Nah, that would ruin the uniqueness of Mace Windu. Still, that's a funny image: Luke in an afro shouting, "I will strike you down with great vengeance!"

Exulted Unicron said:
Ya know, I'd love to see the Anchorhead and Toschii Station scenes in the movie, as well as the early Cantina scenes where "Jenny" was with Han and there was no Chewie. But the big thing here is, I want to see the ORIGINAL version of these movies, before Lucas got the CGI bug and added everything and even made Han a hero and made Greedo shoot first.

Funny enough, I don't really mind most of Lucas's changes. In fact, I think some of them actually help with the series' overall continuity (I may be the only person on Earth who thinks replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen actually makes SENSE). But yes, the Han moment was utterly idiotic. Apart from this, though, I got no problem with Lucas editing his movies. Why? Because they are HIS movies; we just watch them. We may not approve of some of the things he does, but in the end, he has every right to change them if he finds things that don't please him.

phantom train

Even though I'm a huge SW fan from way back, I'm also not really looking forward to these forthcoming Blu-ray DVD releases - not only becuase I don't have a Blu-ray DVD player, but also because this will be the third DVD release of these films - the first was the 2004 boxed set; then we had the 2006? re-release of the 2004 DVD's plus the "Original" movies on DVD. Since I have already invested $ in these previous two sets, I don't relish the idea of spending even more $ on something else just because the picture quality may be a little better & there may be some additional deleted scenes.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of deleted scenes unless they're actually edited back into the movie itself - seeing them as stand-alone scenes doesn't really work for me, since the picture quality isn't that great & since they've usually been deleted for a reason.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
phantom train said:
BTW, I'm not a big fan of deleted scenes unless they're actually edited back into the movie itself - seeing them as stand-alone scenes doesn't really work for me, since the picture quality isn't that great & since they've usually been deleted for a reason.

Right, but that's what makes them interesting, in my mind, seeing what was considered non-essential. And besides, oftentimes things are cut for pacing or for length, so while they may help flesh out characterization or narrative, there just isn't room for them. They've been deleted for a reason, sure, but seeing what that reason might be offers an insight into the process that's often rewarding.

Lance Quazar

Attila the Professor said:
Right, but that's what makes them interesting, in my mind, seeing what was considered non-essential. And besides, oftentimes things are cut for pacing or for length, so while they may help flesh out characterization or narrative, there just isn't room for them. They've been deleted for a reason, sure, but seeing what that reason might be offers an insight into the process that's often rewarding.

While there are some rare cases (Donnie Darko, for instance, in which, on the DVD, the director explains that the studio absolutely insisted on a rigidly enforced maximum running time no matter what), I generally can't think of a single really good example where putting deleted scenes back in a movie was a good idea.

I really do enjoy watching them, but, for the most part, the leaner, original versions remain superior.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lance Quazar said:
While there are some rare cases (Donnie Darko, for instance, in which, on the DVD, the director explains that the studio absolutely insisted on a rigidly enforced maximum running time no matter what), I generally can't think of a single really good example where putting deleted scenes back in a movie was a good idea.

I really do enjoy watching them, but, for the most part, the leaner, original versions remain superior.

I'm realizing now how my post might have read. I agree with you.

Goonie

I'm still hoping George would do a LOTR move and release an extended version of Star Wars with all the cut scenes reinserted.

Major Eaton

Goonie said:
I'm still hoping George would do a LOTR move and release an extended version of Star Wars with all the cut scenes reinserted.

I once thought as you do, Goonie. I think this is about as likely as it is for Lucas to go with a clean shave for more than a day.:eek: That teaser ROTJ lightsaber deleted scene that came with the blu ray announcement is probably one of the things(among others maybe) to look forward to, as a separate bonus.

AndyLGR

The SW movies are to be released in 3d:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11434545

The entire Star Wars film saga is to be converted into 3D, director George Lucas has announced.

A statement on the Star Wars website said: "The cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level."

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is expected to be released in 2012, with the other films to follow.

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:

The entire Star Wars film saga is to be converted into 3D, director George Lucas has announced.

A statement on the Star Wars website said: "The cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level."

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is expected to be released in 2012, with the other films to follow.

Simon Pegg's analogy was funny:

Watching TPM (The Phantom Menace) in 3D would be like the car actually crashing into your face as opposed to just unfolding before your eyes," British Star Trek actor and science fiction fan Simon Pegg said on micro-blogging site Twitter.

JP Jones

AndyLGR said:

2012 = Indiana Jones 5 (?) Batman 3, Spiderman reboot, avengers, and Star wars 3D?! It might just be the end of times.

Goonie

JP Jones said:
2012 = Indiana Jones 5 (?) Batman 3, Spiderman reboot, avengers, and Star wars 3D?! It might just be the end of times.

*singing*
"It's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine."

shazamtd

JP Jones said:

You're forgetting Superman. I believe it's even supposed to premiere on December 21. The same day it's supposed to be all over.
I hope the end of the world waits until I get to see it. (y)

JP Jones

shazamtd said:
You're forgetting Superman. I believe it's even supposed to premiere on December 21. The same day it's supposed to be all over.
I hope the end of the world waits until I get to see it. (y)
Oh, I'm not worried anymore, knowing we've got superman to save the world on the day it is believed to end.:D