Young Indy Dialogue Translation Project - Foreign Languages

Sven

I'm not an expert in history of WW I but I thought so far that the Dolomites mountain ranges were the location of battles between Italian and Austrian forces. So I don't understand why there are German troops in that bunker. Okay, the Austrians were allied forces and they also speak German (usually they are Germans but psssst, don't tell them, they don't like that... :D ) but I guess that the Austrian uniforms were different to the German ones. Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Campaign_(World_War_I)

Stoo

A few French bits from the Moroccan portion of "Tales of Innocence":

---
At Fort Comis, when Indy and Colonel Serre raise their glasses to drink:
Colonel Serre: Santé.
Indy: Santé. (Cheers. Literally, "Health".)

---
In the Hidran palace courtyard...
Colonel Bonnet (to lady): Excusez-moi. (Excuse me.)
Indy: Colonel, I need to speak to you and the council. I have a message.
Colonel Bonnet: Now? Capitaine, this is hardly the moment.
Indy: It's important, sir.
Colonel Bonnet: D'accord. (O.K./Agreed.) The library in 10 minutes.

---
When Indy demands that the French officers take off their boots...
Capitaine Morel: Sir, I protest!
Colonel Bonnet: Tais-toi! (Shut up!/Be quiet! Literally, "Make quiet-you!")

Demitasse

In the final scene of Love's Sweet Song when Remy is yelling at Indy to get back on the train, he's shouting something I can't make out:

Sounds like either "Avec moi!" or "Abette toi?" Which doesn't make any sense...

Stoo??

Stoo

"Avec moi" would make sense (Literally: "With me", but can be used as, "Come with me.") but it doesn't sound like Remy is saying, "moi".

I'm 99.9% sure he is saying, "toi" (you). Therefore, the only thing that really makes sense, in the context of the scene, would be:

"Arrêtes-toi!" (Literally: "Stop you!") as in: "Stop yourself!/Don't do it!/Stop leaving the train for that girl!"

(Remy actually says it twice. The 1st time is rather quietly.)

Sven

Hi there, back after some months (received triplets in summer 2011, a lot to do indeed! ;) ).

I want to continue with the German dialogues. Starting with the "Vienna 1908" part of "The Perils of Cupid", the introducing scene in the Spanish Riding School. Sometimes it's hard to understand but I try.

Instructor: "Sehr gut! ... (?) Ja, Indy! Mehr die Zügel anspannen! Distanz! ... Kein Hohlkreuz, bitte. Sehr schön, Eure königliche Hoheit, sehr schön! Und weiter! Und Terab!" ['Trab' is the German word for trot, I guess he speaks it wrong to make it more clear for the riders]

"Sehr gut! Exzellent. "

Indy is picking up the princess's hat.

Instructor: "Indy, was machst du hier? Ich glaube, es ist genug für heute. Meine Damen und Herren, bitte bringen Sie Ihre Pferde in die Ställe zurück! Eure königliche Hoheit?"

"Herr Jones! Wie oft muss ich Sie noch ermahnen? Dies ist keine Wild West Show. Das ist die Spanische Hofreitschule!"

Indy: "Verzeihen Sie, mein Herr. Ich will es mir merken."

In the stable:

Indy: "Er ist wunderschön."

Princess: Sie ist wunderschön."

Indy: "Sie ist wunderschön."

Princess: "My Englis is nix gut" [Don't try to mix languages...:D German: Mein Englisch ist nicht gut. English: My English is not good]

Tbc... :hat:

Stoo

Sven said:
Hi there, back after some months (received triplets in summer 2011, a lot to do indeed! ;) ).
Oh my G_d! My cousin has 4-year-old, triplet girls and she's going crazy!:eek: My congratulations (& sympathies) to you, Sven!:hat:

As for your Vienna dialogue: Good stuff but are you going to translate it or do we have to do that ourselves?;)

Sven

Demitasse said:
Any chance you could take a stab at the brief German passage beginning at 28:06 here in Demons of Deception? I tried (and failed miserably) to do it earlier in the thread!

Of course I can even ist's hard to understand... In opposite to what the French officer is saying, SPF speaks a really hard accent so he never could be an undiscovered spy... :D

Here we go:

"Ich habe mich in London gemeldet und sah die Aktion im Norden. Obwohl ich als Korporal in der belgischen Armee diene, freue ich mich sehr, dass ich unter der französischen Kommandantur eingeteilt bin. Es ist meine Pflicht, der französischen Armee die Deutschen auszutreiben zu helfen."

"I volunteered myself in London and saw the action in the North. Even I serve as a corporal in the Belgian Army, I'm very happy that I'm assigned under the French command. It's my duty to help the French Army to repulse the Germans."

cursive: almost not clear. Could also be "Kommandoeinheit" (means: command unit)

bold: Wrong grammar. Right: Es ist meine Pflicht, der französischen Armee zu helfen, die Deutschen zu vertreiben. Vertreiben = to repulse. Austreiben = to exorcize. :D

@Stoo

Have I to? :eek: I thought the DVD subtitles are enough?

Demitasse

Sven and I went through Phantom Train of Doom in search of any and all German dialogue. The German was not always decipherable or grammatically correct. Here's what we came up with. (Thanks Sven!!) (y)

This is the song Indy and the Fusiliers sing while they enter the camp.

23:46
They?re drunk as monkeys! Die sind besoffen wie die Affen!
Drink up. He?s not so generous when he?s sober. Trink aus. Wenn er nüchtern ist, ist er nicht so treusorgend.

35:38-35:56
Captain, a message. Herr Kapitän, eine Nachricht! (Well, the German rank name for a captain is 'Hauptmann", Kapitän is the term for a ship commander... )
Wake the men. ... (??? sounds like "Erwache" but that means "Awake") die Mannschaft! Jawohl!
Attention! Men get up. Situation red. Quick! Achtung! Mannschaft aufstehen! Befehl Nummer 5-7-3! Schnell!

37:46
Hurry! Schneller!
Where is the shovel man? Wo ist der Mann mit der Schaufel? (Haha, funny! Usually he would ask: Wo ist der Heizer? - Where is the fireman?

38:06
Hurry hurry! Schnell, schnell!
Where have you been? Where is Shultz? Wo warst du? Wo ist Schulz?
Schultz is sick. The Captain sent me down to take his place. Schulz ist krank. Der Kapitän schickt mich an seinen Platz. (Uhhhh... more bad German...)
Pig. Look out you idiot. Du Schweinehund! Pass auf! ???
Ah, the destination. Ah, die Bestimmung! (Bestimmung means something like fate so another haha... )
Destination. Die Bestimmung! Danke!
What is that? Was ist das? Dummer Kerl!
No! Nein!

40:59
What did you say? Was hast du gesagt?
Get out! Raus!
What?s going on? Was ist los?
What?s happening up there? Come on. (41:21) Was ist dort oben los? Los! Los!

1:00:08 ? 1:01:12
Thank the Lord! We have reached German soil. Dank dir, Vater! Deutscher Grund!
Step down to have your wagon searched. Absteigen! Den Wagen durchsuchen!
Searched? Can?t you see we?re settlers? Durchsuchen? Seht ihr nicht, dass wir Siedler sind?
The wagon is empty! Der Wagen ist leer!
I told you. We?re Boer settlers. ??? Wir sind burische Siedler.
Your darling wife?Ist das deine liebe Frau?
She?s a good cook. Like her mother. Ja, ja! Sie kocht gut! Wie ihre Mutter.
Stout woman. Good for working in the fields. Too bad he?s so damn ugly. Stämmige Weiber. Die arbeiten gut auf dem Feld. Ja...schade, dass sie so potthässlich sind!

1:01:35
We captured these spies on patrol. Wir haben diese Spione auf der Patrouille erwischt.

1:11:37-45
(No English subtitles...)
Feuer einstellen! Nicht schiessen! (Stop the gunfire! Don't shoot!)
Sie kommen nicht weit. (They won't get far.)
Vergesst die (Leibwache???) (Forget the (bodyguards???))

Repair the Airplane. (I only can understand "Flugzeug"=airplane, the rest are incomprehensible words)
It won?t do any good. Das wird nichts nützen.
That?s the pilot. Das ist der Pilot.

Phewww... why didn't they use German actors or better translators? :whip:

Demitasse

Demitasse said:
In the final scene of Love's Sweet Song when Remy is yelling at Indy to get back on the train, he's shouting something I can't make out:

Sounds like either "Avec moi!" or "Abette toi?" Which doesn't make any sense...

Stoo??

Stoo said:
"Avec moi" would make sense (Literally: "With me", but can be used as, "Come with me.") but it doesn't sound like Remy is saying, "moi".

I'm 99.9% sure he is saying, "toi" (you). Therefore, the only thing that really makes sense, in the context of the scene, would be:

"Arrêtes-toi!" (Literally: "Stop you!") as in: "Stop yourself!/Don't do it!/Stop leaving the train for that girl!"

(Remy actually says it twice. The 1st time is rather quietly.)

Ok, so according to the script for "London, May 1916", Remy was supposed to shout: "Indy! Viens-toi! Indy!" Still sounds like Arrêtes-toi! to me...

michael

---
When Schweitzer is on the boat...
Schweitzer: "And yet we subverted that promise, didn't we? We used it to save a life, n'est ce pas? (Is that not so?)"**
Indy: "Das ist _______ das ______." (This is _______ the _______.)***

so crazy, i recently watched that episode and have been wondering what Indy says (because its the only the time we see Indy talk to Schweitzer in German) It's also shows Indy's charm, pulling out german as the last thing he says to Schweitzer, possibly even surprising Albert. Love this show.

I ran it through google translate (volume up on my tv with google translate on my phone) and every time i got something to this

Das ist wahrscheinlich das Beste

Beste is definitely the last word Indy uses. Translation is: "This is probably for the best". Which makes sense given the situation. The only issue is that it sounds like he uses a different word/phrasre than 'wahrscheinlich"

timestamped here for anyone who could properly translate it:

michael

can't edit my post now, but i messed around with other sayings in english, and looks like i figured it out:

Das ist vielleicht das Beste -----> This may be for the best.

Sounds exactly like what Indy says.