"Major" Dietrich

Kooshmeister

It's (fairly) well-known there is a weird goof wherein Gobler refers to Dietrich as a major, in a line spoken in German that roughly translates to "The plane is ready, Major. It (the Ark) can be loaded now." (More or less.)

I think I figured out why he says this.

The line was apparently originally given not by Gobler to Dietrich, but by one of the mechanics to Gobler (whose insignia denotes him as a major), back at the airfield. Pat Roach's character, to be precise. At least, this is how it is shown in the comic, where Pat's mechanic tells Gobler the plane is prepped and they can load the Ark.

This may also explain why Pat is credited as "1st Mechanic" despite being the second one to appear; he originally was going to appear first and tell Gobler the plane was ready.

In essence what I think happened is the longer scene where the mechanic talks to Gobler got trimmed down and likely was never even filmed (since Pat Roach is not visible in the shot of Gobler leaving the airfield). The mechanic's line was then given to Gobler without regard for correct ranks.

This begs the question: why did native German speaker Wolf Kahler not notice? my personal theory is because Anthony Higgins, as Gobler, spoke to him on the set in English and was dubbed over later by a German voice actor, and the German actor probably one who read the line verbatim as it was scripted.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Man, it is a pleasure to have you back Kooshmeister. I confess I've never heard of this goof, but what you say is pretty compelling.

Anyone have Raiders handy, see if it seems dubbed?

Kooshmeister said:
This begs the question: why did native German speaker Wolf Kahler not notice? my personal theory is because Anthony Higgins, as Gobler, spoke to him on the set in English and was dubbed over later by a German voice actor, and the German actor probably one who read the line verbatim as it was scripted.

It's also possible that neither one of the actors were/are familiar with rank insignia.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
It's also possible that neither one of the actors were/are familiar with rank insignia.

Most probably the case.

Also, the actors might not have thought it mattered very much (not yet realizing they were involved in a masterpiece to be!) Lucas and Spielberg showed scant regard for history, and that may have rubbed off on everyone else, who considered themselves primarily involved in a pulpy action flick. ;)

Kooshmeister

Although, as it turns out, I misremembered. Although there is dialog between Gobler and the mechanic in the comic, it is not the mechanic calling Gobler a major:

comic_page.jpg

In fact the mechanic's side of the conversation is so minimal that I'm embarrassed to have suggested he even spoke in the first place. :eek:

I suppose after learning Gobler was a major I severely leaped to conclusions and assumed, some time ago, that the line was originally said to him by another character. I used a faulty memory of the comic to back this up. Although I assumed incorrectly, I still think the line could've originally been intended to be directed at Gobler, the only Nazi major in the film (yeah, there's Toht, but his being a major isn't supported by anything the film itself).

Unless...

I'd originally thought that Dietrich always was the recipient of this line, but his rank was changed at some point. That Shliemann, the character Dietrich would evolve from in the script, was a major and then was changed to a colonel during production, and the line remained as-is because it was in German and nobody thought the audience would notice.

Then I found where Shliemann's rank is given:

EXT. "THE WURRFLER" - CONNING TOWER - DAY

The Nazis have returned to their subs. Shliemann is on the
bridge with the WURRFLER'S CAPTAIN and the Captain's Aides.
The Captain is an honorable career Navy man.

THE WURRFLER'S CAPTAIN
Colonel Shliemann, all torpedoes are
loaded.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Nope...Dietrich is referred to as Shliemann in the movie, on DVD.

Since I assume we're playing the trivia game here (truly a moveable feast), it's somewhere in the closed captions, yes? The dawn sequence between Dietrich, Belloq, and Toht, if memory serves.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Considering the amount of times Wolf Kahler played a German soldier before "Raiders", one would think he'd be somewhat familiar with the insignia.
Attlia the Professor said:
Since I assume we're playing the trivia game here (truly a moveable feast), it's somewhere in the closed captions, yes? The dawn sequence between Dietrich, Belloq, and Toht, if memory serves.
To quote Bugs Bunny: "You're red hot, Doc!"

P.S. Koosh, since you've been away: A few months ago, something else has came to light that I've been meaning to add to one of your threads: The other officer with Gobler. Stay tuned!

Stoo said:
... I've been meaning to add to one of your threads: The other officer with Gobler.
One of the BEST posts I saw when I first joined, I would love to see a whole thread devoted to your expolded view of assorted rank and insignia in the films. Those were impressive pics and a bit intimidating at first! You and Montana should get on a project like that...it could be incredible!

...well, more than it already is!:hat: