"I'm like a bad ___"

Indyologist

Under inspiration from another thread, I decided to start this one. How many of you think this line from LC was a decidedly campy/lame/confusing/infuriating thing for Indy to say:

"I'm like a bad penny-- I always show up."

This is the only line in the whole trilogy that I really think is stupid. Do you agree with me?

If you do, then let's have a little brainstorming as to what smart aleck comment you think would have been better for Indy to say after Elsa says:

Elsa: (To Indy) I never expected to see you again...

If you wish, you can use this format:

Indy: I'm like a ____, I always _____.

Or have him say something completely different...

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Indyologist said:
"I'm like a bad penny-- I always show up."

This is the only line in the whole trilogy that I really think is stupid. Do you agree with me?

No, I don't agree.

Finn

Staff member
"I'm like a piece of dung on the wall of a hillbilly house - you never get me off."

Webley

Finn said:
"I'm like a piece of dung on the wall of a hillbilly house - you never get me off."
So youv been to my house?
Im like the last sip of a beer with a sigaret but in it I always come back up.

Canyon

Personally I've always liked the line but how about something like:

Elsa: "I never expected to see you again
Indy: "Sorry to disappoint you, sweetheart."

Deadlock

I'd like to know what the phrase MEANS... In what manner does bad penny turn up, so that it can be emulated by Indy??? And what the hell is a bad penny anyway???

And I think that in the realm of stupid dialogue, 80% of Willie's lines are competing for the top prize. Next to her, Indy is Shakespeare.

Here's my suggestion for a smart aleck comeback.

Elsa: I never expected to see you again.
Indy: Sleep with any more senior citizens since I saw you last? :)

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Deadlock said:
Indy: Sleep with any more senior citizens since I saw you last? :)
...and then we get a Monty Python reference when Henry backhands him.

I

Indy's_main_man

"I'm like a bad Nazi...but Nazis are considered to be bad so technically i'd be a good nazi...but Like I said Nazis are bad...nazis are bad, right stephen? see YOU're a nazi and you've been trying to kill me...yes so i'd be a good nazi who turns bad. no wait a bad nazi who turns good...no wait..."

Tennessee R

good, Caitlin. :)

yes, Indyologist, I don't think that that was the best choice for words in that situation. But I kindof like it, anyway.

I

Indy's_main_man

how about:

"I'm like a bad movie line...I always talk about something irrelevant to the situation...like pennies for example"

westford

Deadlock said:
I'd like to know what the phrase MEANS... In what manner does bad penny turn up, so that it can be emulated by Indy??? And what the hell is a bad penny anyway???
Heads or tails? Flip a coin, and a bad penny will always show the opposite to what you picked, causing you to lose a bet or whatever.

Deadlock

Your explanation is plausible... but who flips a penny when they are going to flip a coin??? They're too small. :confused:

Johan

You know those pennies plastered with some sort of green mold...they alway's seem to show up in your pocket...even when you thought you spent it