"Anything Goes" opening sequence...

NoCamels

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who saw Temple of Doom in the theater in 1984, what were people's reactions to the movie opening with a huge musical number? We don't see Indy or even where this musical is taking place until it's over, and the only real clue to what's going on is that Willie is singing in Chinese.

It's totally different than anything in Raiders...it just made me curious as to people's original reactions. What did you think?

indy34

The musical number was probably only there because she wanted it and sice she was the directors wife "any thing goes".:rolleyes:

Niteshade007

I'd get your facts straight first. They weren't married until YEARS after Temple of Doom was made. They weren't even dating at the time. I believe he was dating Amy Irving. I also seriously doubt that she had a lot of pull in what went into the movie, since she was basically a no name at the time. She did have them cut out a snake scene, but that's because she was so terrified of the snake (and then to make up for it used a real snake in another scene).

But in regards to the original poster's question, I don't know.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Apparently, Spielberg always wanted to do a musical. That's what it said on the DVD's. And that's why they did it. I personally like the sequence, I would like to see something similar in the form of Marion's nightclub, The Raven's Nest in KOTCS but that probably won't happen. Say as an intro sequence to Marion and Willie's cameo.

|ZiR|

I never got to see Temple in theaters, sadly. I wasn't even born in '84!

Now I absolutely love the opening for ToD, even though I think it's weird how the big dance number happens, y'know, backstage. Out of sight, away from the audience's line of vision. Think about it from the perspective of the patrons: Willie slinks out, sings a few verses, then runs backstage until the finale. Bad showgirl!

I love the song itself, and I've been wondering if anyone knew the lyrics to it. The Chinese parts, obviously. I got the "anything goes!" bit.

What do they mean? What is she saying? :confused:

NoCamels

I've heard the song in English, so there's probably a recording out there somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's originally from some vintage show/movie. I like it, by the way. It is very "1930s Big Hollywood Musical" to me.

But what I want to know is, did people go into the theater and say, "what the heck, this isn't an Indiana Jones movie!" or did they just go along with it to see what happens?

Dance number like that happened lots in old movies that weren't necessarily 'musicals'... and you can't take the dance number 'literally'. It's not supposed to be a complete and total reflection of the reality of Obi Wan's Club.... It's about creating mood, and setting tone and "Anything Goes" does that in spades!

Michael24

"Anything Goes" is a Cole Porter song from an early-30s stage musical of the same name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anything_Goes

As for audience reaction, I don't know. I did seen TEMPLE OF DOOM in the theater (one of the earliest movies I saw on the big screen; I was only five at the time), and I remember just being excited that I was about to see a brand new Indiana Jones movie. I don't remember being confused by the opening and thinking it was the wrong movie, but I do remember getting exciting when we see somebody in a tuxedo walking down the steps. I just knew who that was and that things were underway. :D

|ZiR|

NoCamels said:
(snip) I've heard the song in English, so there's probably a recording out there somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's originally from some vintage show/movie. I like it, by the way. It is very "1930s Big Hollywood Musical" to me. (/snip)

Michael24 said:
(snip) "Anything Goes" is a Cole Porter song from an early-30s stage musical of the same name. (/snip)

Thanks, guys!

I feel really stupid for not knowing that-- apparently "Anything Goes" is a fairly well known musical. I'd honestly never heard of it before, mind though, I'm not much into broadway. Does that mean I have to turn in my fag card?

And sorry for hijacking your thread, NoCamels. On with the show now. I'm surprised that there haven't been more replies yet. Where are all the people born before 1980? C'mon out and share your reactions. Everyone loves dumping on ToD.

Finn

Staff member
It's an India connection. For those wondering abrupt dance numbers that come seemingly out of blue, I have one word... Bollywood.

Michael24

|ZiR| said:
I feel really stupid for not knowing that-- apparently "Anything Goes" is a fairly well known musical. I'd honestly never heard of it before, mind though, I'm not much into broadway.

I didn't even know it was a musical either until I looked it up. I just thought it was a song and nothing more. :)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I knew it was a musical, but I'm from a theatre background so no surprises there. I've got that Prague Philharmonic Indiana Jones album and as a bonus track, they have "Anything Goes", same version as the one played in ToD with the English lyrics.

Here's the lyrics:

"In olden days, a glimpse of stocking was something shocking,
Now heaven knows, Anything Goes.
Good authors too, who once knew better words, now only use four letter words right in throes, anything goes.
The world has gone mad today, has gone bad today, black's white today, and day's night today,
When those guys today that women prize today, just silly giggloes,
So though I'm not a great romancizer, I know you're bound to answer,
When I propose, Anything Goes. "

* Tap dancing break*

"I know you're bound to answer when I propose, Anything Goes."

No Ticket

Violet Indy said:
Apparently, Spielberg always wanted to do a musical. That's what it said on the DVD's. And that's why they did it. I personally like the sequence, I would like to see something similar in the form of Marion's nightclub, The Raven's Nest in KOTCS but that probably won't happen. Say as an intro sequence to Marion and Willie's cameo.

*buzz noise* WRONG!!

Lol. I don't know what exactly it said on the DVDs, but I watched a "Making of TOD" I found on some internet site and it had footage of Spielberg and Lucas in 1983 or whatever filming that opening and Spielberg told Lucas that if it doesn't work it was his fault because Lucas pushed for the musical number to open the movie and Spielberg disagreed but went along with it.

I'd put the video up on YouTube, but last time I tried it didn't want to work for some reason.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
*pulls out the DVD and fastforwards to when they talk about "Anything Goes". *

Spielberg says that George said that Steven was a frustrated musical director, and here's his chance. Spielberg goes on to talk about how they hired Danny Daniels, etc.

Would like to see that video though. What goes wrong when you tried to put it up on Youtube? Is it a file problem? Or is it just taking really long to upload? They did recently maintanced the site, which made things slow when they were doing that and disturbed anyone who were trying to upload stuff. I would know, I was uploading a video at the time.

What website was this video on?

No Ticket

Violet Indy said:
*pulls out the DVD and fastforwards to when they talk about "Anything Goes". *

Spielberg says that George said that Steven was a frustrated musical director, and here's his chance. Spielberg goes on to talk about how they hired Danny Daniels, etc.

Would like to see that video though. What goes wrong when you tried to put it up on Youtube? Is it a file problem? Or is it just taking really long to upload? They did recently maintanced the site, which made things slow when they were doing that and disturbed anyone who were trying to upload stuff. I would know, I was uploading a video at the time.

What website was this video on?

No idea what website it was on. The video clips are 12 minutes and Youtube only allows 9 or 10 minutes per vid. I could cut them up, but they wouldn't work right when I tried that in Windows Movie Maker.

.... but I have them on my computer. And I promise there's a scene with Spielberg saying that. Unless I'm just getting something mixed up. I'll go back and watch it.

*AFTER RE-WATCHING*

OK. Spielberg DID say in that video that he always wanted to make a musical but things got in the way. lol. My bad!!

But to quote a scene later in the same video.

Spielberg (to Lucas): "It was your idea. Not my fault if it doesn't work. I didn't want to open the film with a dance number! I wanted to open the film with another rock! Yeah, the director always gets blamed, Ohhh."

So maybe he was just kidding about that or kind of meant it but also kind of wanted to do it and was joking around about it with Lucas.

Last edited:

Vendetta08

How did such a large musical number take place in that very small spot. When she's singing in the beginning she's in this very large area with several other women, then once the song is over and the camera pulls back, there's only this very small stage. Was watching Temple earlier today and thought that was strange.:p

Niteshade007

As others have said, it's a reference to old Hollywood films of the 30s. Musical numbers would often take place in a fantasy world, and this is just an example of that. She goes backstage for a musical number that technically, in a real life situation, no one else can see, but in within the logic of a 1930s musical, it makes sense because its a fantasy world. I hope that helps.