TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
I think youíre pulling for strings here considering the dialogue clearly says that he gets just as lost in his own museum as he does in the field. Marcus suddenly turned into a buffoon, why deny it? Itís common sense.

He only became a fool directly after Henry Sr. appeared. Indy had his real father at last, so Marcus became a slightly dotty uncle. I love Elliot in the movie...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
He only became a fool directly after Henry Sr. appeared. Indy had his real father at last, so Marcus became a slightly dotty uncle. I love Elliot in the movie...

You know...I've never come to realize that. Still heís undeniably a very different character from what we saw in Raiders and the beginning college half of Last Crusade.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
You know...I've never come to realize that. Still heís undeniably a very different character from what we saw in Raiders and the beginning college half of Last Crusade.

Oh, definitely. Somebody on this forum suggested in the past that Marcus must have gotten rat-faced drunk on the train before meeting Sallah...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #29
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Oh, definitely. Somebody on this forum suggested in the past that Marcus must have gotten rat-faced drunk on the train before meeting Sallah...

Hah! I love that theory! I still enjoy his character nonetheless. He's really rather funny. I especially like the build up of Indiana Jones and then it cuts to him walking through the streets looking utterly lost and exclaiming "Does anyone understand a word I am saying?"
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #30
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
Hah! I love that theory! I still enjoy his character nonetheless. He's really rather funny. I especially like the build up of Indiana Jones and then it cuts to him walking through the streets looking utterly lost and exclaiming "Does anyone understand a word I am saying?"

Or his confusion at the cliff-face. That's one aspect of Skull that saddened me. To have all those guys back would probably be ridiculous, but lovely all the same.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #31
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Or his confusion at the cliff-face. That's one aspect of Skull that saddened me. To have all those guys back would probably be ridiculous, but lovely all the same.

It's such a shame he passed. I suppose such things happen though, as much as we try to forget it. A few Indy actors are now gone when I come to think of it. It's rather sad, but there comes a time when you have to let go of everyone. Meh! Good job Max, way to get all depressing. Hah! I'm sorry!
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #32
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
It's such a shame he passed. I suppose such things happen though, as much as we try to forget it. A few Indy actors are now gone when I come to think of it. It's rather sad, but there comes a time when you have to let go of everyone. Meh! Good job Max, way to get all depressing. Hah! I'm sorry!

*offers pat on the back and tissue for the tears*
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #33
Leiter91
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Olympia (It's the water)
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
I think youíre pulling for strings here considering the dialogue clearly says that he gets just as lost in his own museum as he does in the field. Marcus suddenly turned into a buffoon, why deny it? Itís common sense.
Well Marcus as a moron, or marcus as an old wine-o, or marcus as a chronic paint sniffer, still beats the h*ll out of Ox...I mean he was bat*hit crazy throughout the majority of the movie and once he finally came around i wished he'd just gone back to being insane. Anyway, there was no reason not to have Sallah or short round back...a character people remembered might have made the movie seem warmer or less foreign to us fans. I would've hoped Indy got both of them into the US...been kind of cold if he didn't
Leiter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #34
Indyisreal
IndyFan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37
The reality is that many people would be considered "haters" outside of this site. The majority were upset with the KOTCS
Indyisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #35
FILMKRUSC
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
Censorship is a crime.

I agree.

If they took it off then it's as embarassing as the movie.

I've had zero family members/relatives who saw the movie who liked it.
I asked them to check with friends to see what they thought of it.
Not one good review yet.
FILMKRUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #36
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
The 'Reviews In Media' thread has been un-stickied, relegated. These are important historical documents( ) with which we can study the initial reactions to the movie and compare those the more rational, unsentimental 'final words' on Skull a year from now.

Time will be the saviour/killer of Indy 4...

Last edited by The Man : 06-29-2008 at 06:47 AM.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #37
monkey
Guest
 
monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,068
Dindn't hate it, didn't like it

I neither hated nor liked Crystal Skull. I judge it that simply.

Where would I rate it in the Indy movies? .........maybe 3 of 4. (I won't tell you which is number 4).

This film had so much damned baggage coming in that it was impossible from the start to be a great film.

Spielberg and Lucas did a ........'good' job. Really Steven and George, you did the absolute best you could with this 800 pound gorilla.........., but it was still only just.........'good'..........sorry.

Karen Allen and Harrison Ford did a fantastic job of carrying the very heavy baggage.......but it was still too heavy.

And what do two middle aged folks do when they need to lift heavy baggage?
........simple, they ask a young person. .....So whence comes Mutt.

Great job Shia Labeouf..........(by the way, change your name to something we can spell....ok?)

Anyway, the actor that played 'Mutt' did a fantastic job. Just like the young person who helps you move your heavy bags, he did a great job in lightening the load in this film.

I ......'liked' it........ It was Indiana Jones on the Big Screen again. I'll buy the DVD, and watch it about 20 times. ..........but I didn't 'love' it.

It had aliens in it.

It didn't just stay with allusions to Roswell, which it should have......no...it had ALIENS in it. It had FLYING SAUCERS taking off ..........

Too much for this Indy purist.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #38
phatr32
IndyFan
 
phatr32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 137
ye its been a few weeks since ive seen, but im still not too happy about the stupid aliens.

really dont know if ill watch it again.....

steve
phatr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #39
DarthMickey
IndyFan
 
DarthMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 208
well you will watch again because yesterday I actually saw a pre-order for the DVD.Then you will be able to Fast forward to the new extended Alien scene over and over with even more complete dismay!
DarthMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #40
Leiter91
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Olympia (It's the water)
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMKRUSC
I agree.

If they took it off then it's as embarassing as the movie.

I've had zero family members/relatives who saw the movie who liked it.
I asked them to check with friends to see what they thought of it.
Not one good review yet.
ditto...glad I didn't take a date...I would have been so embarassed. None of my friends liked it(they were previous Indy fans), none of my family, teachers, doctors or anyone I talked to. Everyone thought it was muck...and really when I hear 'positive' reviews, it basically boils down to "It's good to have Indy back". Thats all that movie has going for it. It's a movie for children, note Indy shoots no one, and theres no standard Indy swearing(damn doesn't count). I actually felt really guilty...I told everyone I knew they should go see it, cause it was going to be awsome, there wasn't going to be any CGI, the plot was excellent, blah blah blah...and afterwards everyone was like WOW, thanks for getting me to waste my money! What an awfull movie
Leiter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #41
monkey
Guest
 
monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,068
Leiter said: "It's a movie for children, note Indy shoots no one, and theres no standard Indy swearing(damn doesn't count)."

And there is very important point indeed.

When, and WHY did Spielberg and Lucas turn Indiana Jones into an children's/adolescent's hero?

Jeezus H Kreist! Give the kids pokeymon, batman, the hulk ....and whatever else they need....

But for kreist's sake save Indiana Jones for the audience that ACTUALLY appreciates the character.

Oh yeah, I forgot, these are the folks who brought you Jar-Jar Binks, those little furry things, and that little green lizard-like freak with the light saber.

Anyway, where did my hard drinking, womanizing, Nazi fighting, adventurer-archaeologist in the 1930's go?

What rating did Crystal Skull have anyway? I didn't even notice. I don't think it was "R" though.......was it?
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #42
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
Leiter said: "It's a movie for children, note Indy shoots no one, and theres no standard Indy swearing(damn doesn't count)."

And there is very important point indeed.

When, and WHY did Spielberg and Lucas turn Indiana Jones into an children's/adolescent's hero?

Jeezus H Kreist! Give the kids pokeymon, batman, the hulk ....and whatever else they need....

But for kreist's sake save Indiana Jones for the audience that ACTUALLY appreciates the character.

Oh yeah, I forgot, these are the folks who brought you Jar-Jar Binks, those little furry things, and that little green lizard-like freak with the light saber.

Anyway, where did my hard drinking, womanizing, Nazi fighting, adventurer-archaeologist in the 1930's go?

What rating did Crystal Skull have anyway? I didn't even notice. I don't think it was "R" though.......was it?

I vividly remember watching Crusade in the cinema and how universal the humour was, amusing all demographics there, both child and adult. Skull, however, was aimed at making babies giggle. Juvenile, embarrasing and fundamentally unfunny.

Nobody laughed. I'm serious - nobody...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #43
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiter91
...and really when I hear 'positive' reviews, it basically boils down to "It's good to have Indy back".


Isn’t that the ultimate truth? Nearly every review I’ve read includes numerous backhanded complements. Basically what they say is that they found things to be absolutely ridiculous…but Indy’s back so it’s okay! Well…is it really? Will it be okay ten years down the line? When the initial hype is over, will the film grow on people? I doubt it! If anything I see it growing away from people due to it’s numerous differences with the original trilogy. That blind enjoyment (sparked by the first Indiana Jones film in nearly 20 years) will cave way to a realization that it’s really not that great. It’s filled with more camp and corny elements. It’s riddled with implausibility even comparatively speaking to the former films. The plot’s incredibly tamed and immature and the new characters aren’t fleshed out whatsoever. The ultimate theme for the film is very far fetched and inappropriate for a so-called archeology based action hero. It's far more science-fiction based then it’s ever been Indiana Jones oriented. These flaws will come out with time and more people will see them. They’ve already begun to. They’ll finally open their eyes. Think of it as an old girlfriend returning. At first you’re blindly missing her obvious flaws, just happy to have her back in your life, but one day you look upon her and realize… she's such a b-itch. People will go back and roll their eyes at crystal skull. You’ll see!
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #44
EddyW
IndyFan
 
EddyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 189
MaxPhactor23, my idea exactly, hidden behind the "Wow, Indy's back" lies a really lame film which would have been sabled down by the critics if the Orange to Yellow gradient logo haden't been attached to it. It's as if people are afraid to admit Indy IV is bad, because that would mean accepting we've been waiting for 19 years for nothing.
EddyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #45
OmegaSeamaster
IndyFan
 
OmegaSeamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyW
MaxPhactor23, my idea exactly, hidden behind the "Wow, Indy's back" lies a really lame film which would have been sabled down by the critics if the Orange to Yellow gradient logo haden't been attached to it. It's as if people are afraid to admit Indy IV is bad, because that would mean accepting we've been waiting for 19 years for nothing.

I'd love to meet Spielberg. First I'd thank him profusely for all the great films he's done. Then I'd tell him I'm not about to give him a mulligan for "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Harrison's career was on the skids, Lucas wouldn't let go of his lame alien idea....it's as if rather than shelve the project and let the character go out with dignity, he decided to just get it over with by releasing sub-par crap.

Notice how he dismissed himself from it from day one by saying, "I'm making this for the fans. The fans demanded another one." If that's not shifting the blame, I don't know what is.
OmegaSeamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #46
Leiter91
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Olympia (It's the water)
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
Leiter said: "It's a movie for children, note Indy shoots no one, and theres no standard Indy swearing(damn doesn't count)."

And there is very important point indeed.

When, and WHY did Spielberg and Lucas turn Indiana Jones into an children's/adolescent's hero?

Jeezus H Kreist! Give the kids pokeymon, batman, the hulk ....and whatever else they need....

But for kreist's sake save Indiana Jones for the audience that ACTUALLY appreciates the character.

Oh yeah, I forgot, these are the folks who brought you Jar-Jar Binks, those little furry things, and that little green lizard-like freak with the light saber.

Anyway, where did my hard drinking, womanizing, Nazi fighting, adventurer-archaeologist in the 1930's go?

What rating did Crystal Skull have anyway? I didn't even notice. I don't think it was "R" though.......was it?
"Knowledge was their treasure" OH MY GOD...I swear...at the end of the movie, I thought Harrison Ford would pop up and be like "Hi kids, Im Harrison Ford...Im an actor...beacuse Indiana Jones is only for pretend. I know there was alot of violence in this movie, but it's only pretend...in real life, violence never solves anything. I hoped you like the monkeys too. Those were also just pretend. Animals don't hurt people, so don't be tramatized by nightmares about monkeys attacking you and cause a lawsuit. You know what the greatest treasure of all is? It's not any golden idol, lost city, or a radio for speaking to god...It's Knowledge, and you obtain knowlege from reading. So go home and crack open a good book"
Leiter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #47
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiter91
"Knowledge was their treasure" OH MY GOD...I swear...at the end of the movie, I thought Harrison Ford would pop up and be like "Hi kids, Im Harrison Ford...Im an actor...beacuse Indiana Jones is only for pretend. I know there was alot of violence in this movie, but it's only pretend...in real life, violence never solves anything. I hoped you like the monkeys too. Those were also just pretend. Animals don't hurt people, so don't be tramatized by nightmares about monkeys attacking you and cause a lawsuit. You know what the greatest treasure of all is? It's not any golden idol, lost city, or a radio for speaking to god...It's Knowledge, and you obtain knowlege from reading. So go home and crack open a good book"

....LMFAO! You only forgot to add “But make sure all books you read are made and approved by Lucasfilm!”
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #48
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
"And knowing is half the battle."
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #49
DarthMickey
IndyFan
 
DarthMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 208
This Movie makes people Angry!

I know I am!
DarthMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #50
herr gruber
Guest
 
herr gruber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29c Bowler Hat Lane, Brollyville, U.K.
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Here's a real toughie: can any present 'hater' envisage a future time - even years from now - when they might warm to the movie?


If, at the gates of Heaven, an angel tells me that to gain entry I must sit through KOTCS every day for eternity, I may soften my views toward it.
But even then, it would be a tough decision.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.