G.I. Joe

Tennessee Smith

I was a huge Zartan and Shipwreck fan as a kid. I am looking forward to the movie but I am a little worried about Arnold Vosloo playing Zartan, plus there's no Shipwreck. ....but if its as good as I think Transformers was, I'm not going to be too dissapointed.

Michael24

I could see Shipwreck turning up in a sequel. He didn't appear in the cartoon until the second mini-series in 1984. I imagine they're simply starting out with "main" characters and will add additional characters to the line-up in subsequent sequels.

And I think Arnold Vosloo will make an excellent Zartan, though I'm curious if they'll make him bald since that appears to be Vosloo's standard appearance now or keep him long-haired like he's always been?

Tennessee Smith

Michael24 said:
I could see Shipwreck turning up in a sequel. He didn't appear in the cartoon until the second mini-series in 1984. I imagine they're simply starting out with "main" characters and will add additional characters to the line-up in subsequent sequels.

And I think Arnold Vosloo will make an excellent Zartan, though I'm curious if they'll make him bald since that appears to be Vosloo's standard appearance now or keep him long-haired like he's always been?

Well, depending on what you've seen with Zartan and what you know about his history. He only had long hair in the first mini-series. it was turned into him wearing a cowel in the series, with a shaved head.

Michael24

Awww, that's right. I forgot about that. It's been awhile since I've watched the actual series. I was recalling his look from the second mini-series.

Tennessee Smith

Yeah, I hated the fact they changed it. I thought it was actually cool to have a long haired bad guy in 1984. Now, they're a dime a dozen... friggin hippie terrorists!!!!!!!!:mad:

Peace, Love and Global domination, my AS$pirin!!!!!

fixer79

I don't know if you guys've seen these yet...

Ray Park as Snake Eyes:

snakeeyes1-1.jpg

Rachel Nichols as Scarlett:

scarlett-firstlook.jpg

Yesterday a truckload more leaked all over the net, including pictures of Karolina Korkova as Cover Girl, Channing Tatum as Duke, Marlon Wayans as Ripcord, Byung-hun Lee as Storm Shadow, Sienna Miller as The Baroness, Dennis Quaid as General Hawk and some more of Park and Nichols...
Sadly, Paramount pulled all of them back. Some crafty Google skills can dig 'em back up though. (wink-wink, nudge-nudge)

I don't think what to think of this project... I had high hopes when I saw the picture of Park as Snake Eyes, but when I saw the leaked pictures of some of the other characters... those high hopes quickly plummeted. Especially when I saw how the costume department reinvented camouflage patterns...
I don't know who took the decision or how much he or she had to drink, but having the G.I. Joe movie logo repeated all over the costumes' camouflage pattern was a bad idea...
Dennis Quaid's pants look like they're made out of a seven-year-old's G.I. Joe bedsheets...

Michael24

Here's Storm Shadow and Baroness:

stormshadowandbaronesssa2.jpg

I think Snake Eyes looks pretty damn awesome! I'm a little disappointed that Scarlett's costume basically looks like an X-Men movie costume, completely devoid of color, but it's still basically the same kind of outfit she's always worn. From Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Baroness, it seemed like the costumes would be pretty faithful to the originals, but I read that the others (which were pulled before I could see them) are similar to Scarlett's, so I'm guessing some characters will retain their original look and others won't.

Either way, I think I can get over costume changes as long as the spirit of the characters and the story remain the same, and so far, everything about this film has been sounding great. I'm totally psyched for this one! (y)

roundshort

fixer79 said:
Especially when I saw how the costume department reinvented camouflage patterns...
I don't know who took the decision or how much he or she had to drink, but having the G.I. Joe movie logo repeated all over the costumes' camouflage pattern was a bad idea...

I know NOTHING about this project, but I know that when the USMC was changing to a digital camo form the traditional pattern, the RUMOR was it was made up of very small EGA's (the symbol of the Marines). This is not true, but back in the 90's, that was the rumor, maybe a connection?

Michael24

I found the other pics at a G.I. JOE website.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/gi-joe-movie-2/gi-joe-live-action-movie-cast-photos-7247/

These outfits they're wearing in the pics are being called "Power Suits," so it's possible these are just one of several outfits the characters wear during the course of the film. Someone said the Power Suits are used toward the end of the film, so it's possible the more traditional outfits will still be seen. And General Hawk's pants don't took that bad. The Joe logo seems rather faint; I didn't even see them at first. Though it looks kinda strange to actually be able to see Snake Eyes' mouth and the body armor top/cargo pants combo looks kinda strange. But if anything, the costumes will probably take on a different look in the actual film depending on factors like the overall visual style and such.

Man, I hope Scarlett and Baroness get to have their own throw-down. :whip:

fixer79

Michael24 said:
Though it looks kinda strange to actually be able to see Snake Eyes' mouth and the body armor top/cargo pants combo looks kinda strange.

Exactly... The body armor/cargo pants combo you're talking about didn't show so clearly in the first two Snake Eyes pictures that were released but now that these new and lighter pictures surface, the strange combination really jumps in the eye... Strange choice.

The fact that the visor turns out to be pretty transparent and that you can actually see the form of his mouth is another sour surprise that wasn't apparent in the first two pictures. Suddenly, the perfect Snake Eyes costume doesn't seem so prefect anymore...
Still... I don't lose faith entirely in the character's portrayal bacause of this...
I still think Ray Park will be perfect for the role. By far the best casting choice in the movie.

Michael24 said:
The Joe logo seems rather faint; I didn't even see them at first.

Here's a detail of the pattern for those who are wondering what we're talking about ;)

pattern.jpg

You're right of course; Michael. It probably won't even show in the final film.
What bugs me is just the fact that it's there... Even if it won't be noticable, it stays a stupid design decision. I find it unnecessary and I don't understand it.

It reminds me of the Superman Returns costume of a few years back...
At first glance it looked pretty cool. Until I noticed on advertising material such as posters and standees that his chest emblem and the soles of his boots (!) have hundreds of small embossed Superman emblems patterned all over them. What the heck was that?
Not only did they decide to take off the emblem on the cape (as seen in the previous Reeve films, television shows and comics), but they needlessly added a new one to his belt, the sides of his boots and had it patterned all over his chest and soles...

I find that in these cases, "less is more"... I would've preferred that they would've kept the designs simple, without any overload of unnecessary 'modern looking' detailing. I guess it's a sign of the times. Everyone's a fashion victim ;)

Then again... There is a far more disturbing choice our friends at paramount have made, by the name of Joseph Gordon-Levitt...

Ladies and gents... Meet Cobra Commander!

commander.jpg

:whip:

Michael24

I'm not very worried about Levitt. He's become a pretty good actor, and some recent pics I've seen of him convinced me he could play such a diabolical villain. He had a certain "evil eye" look to him that won me over.

And this isn't directed at you personally, but I'm surprised by how crazy some fans are getting that "the filmmaker's aren't taking G.I. Joe seriously." I'm like, "It's G.I. Joe! It's always been big and flashy and over-the-top!" The last thing I would want them to do is make it a down-and-gritty serious war drama or something like that. The fact Dennis Quaid has said it's almost a throwback to early Bond films with the villain having an island stronghold and henchmen in identical coveralls was pretty much enough to convince me this will be the G.I. Joe we all know and love, even if somethings are visually a little different. And with Stephen Sommers at the helm, it's bound to be some great popcorn entertainment.

Either way, I'm still really excited about this movie. Barring a trailer that makes this look like a great debacle, I'll be first in line on August 7, 2009. :D

And I loved the redesigned Superman Returns costume. (y)

fixer79

Michael24 said:
I'm not very worried about Levitt. He's become a pretty good actor, and some recent pics I've seen of him convinced me he could play such a diabolical villain. He had a certain "evil eye" look to him that won me over.

Maybe you're right... If we're lucky, he might turn out to be as good as Cillian Murphy in his role as The Scarecrow in Batman Begins... That was really surprisingly good...
Again, what bugs me a bit is that it seems the be the trend to choose a cast I have often referred to as a 'Scream cast', in which almost every role is played by someone younger than me. Of course, to avoid raising suspicion that it's a film with adolescents for adolescents, they throw an 'old' guy in there. In this case Dennis Quaid.

In the old days, we got actors like Nicholson or Hackman to play the villains. Now we tend to get twenty year olds.
Mind you, they may do a good job, but they keep me reminded of the fact they're basically there to lure girls to come see the movie because their favourite hunk plays the baddie.

Michael24 said:
And this isn't directed at you personally, but I'm surprised by how crazy some fans are getting that "the filmmaker's aren't taking G.I. Joe seriously." I'm like, "It's G.I. Joe! It's always been big and flashy and over-the-top!" The last thing I would want them to do is make it a down-and-gritty serious war drama or something like that. The fact Dennis Quaid has said it's almost a throwback to early Bond films with the villain having an island stronghold and henchmen in identical coveralls was pretty much enough to convince me this will be the G.I. Joe we all know and love, even if somethings are visually a little different. And with Stephen Sommers at the helm, it's bound to be some great popcorn entertainment.

See what you mean... To me it isn't a problem if they don't take it seriously.
They can make it as big and flashy and over-the-top as they want, because like you said, that's what G.I. Joe's always been.
Problem is that that's apparently not what they're doing... They seem to be taking the flashy and over-the-top and turning it into colorless X-Men the Movie costumes minus the X. What we've seen so far pretty much looks like what real army folks would wear into combat...
Well, except for the bedsheet pattern ;)

Don't get me wrong, I haven't lost faith completely... Like you said, Sommers is at the helm and I'm sure he'll deliver.

I can't wait to see the trailer so I can nitpick some more... Gosh, it must be stressing to adapt something like this into a movie and having to please everyone ;)

Michael24

fixer79 said:
Again, what bugs me a bit is that it seems the be the trend to choose a cast I have often referred to as a 'Scream cast', in which almost every role is played by someone younger than me. Of course, to avoid raising suspicion that it's a film with adolescents for adolescents, they throw an 'old' guy in there. In this case Dennis Quaid.

Normally that bugs me as well, but I haven't been getting that vibe from this movie. Perhaps because it seems to be a lot of unknowns or little-knowns in the film. I'd never even heard of Channing Tatum until he was signed as Duke, and I think many of them are mid-20s or older.

fixer79 said:
Problem is that that's apparently not what they're doing... They seem to be taking the flashy and over-the-top and turning it into colorless X-Men the Movie costumes minus the X. What we've seen so far pretty much looks like what real army folks would wear into combat...

The new outfits are really growing on me, and I think they look better than the X-MEN movie costumes because they actually seem to have some design to them. But like I said, these may only be special suits they wear at the end of the film. As the months go by, I'm sure we'll see more cast pictures. And I'm sure they've got some big stuff planned for ComiCon. :)

fixer79 said:
Don't get me wrong, I haven't lost faith completely... Like you said, Sommers is at the helm and I'm sure he'll deliver.

I'd say chances are high for sheer entertainment. I've enjoyed every one of his movies so far and have been anxiously awaiting his next movie for the last four years.

fixer79 said:
I can't wait to see the trailer so I can nitpick some more... Gosh, it must be stressing to adapt something like this into a movie and having to please everyone ;)

At this point, the trailer will probably be the final deciding factor in what I think of this movie. So far I'm leaning toward the "I'm probably gonna like it" side, but the trailer could sway me either way. :)

Michael24

Thanks. A couple in there I hadn't seen before.

Though the last batch of Dennis Quaid is actually General Hawk, not Duke. :)

fixer79

Michael24 said:
As the months go by, I'm sure we'll see more cast pictures. And I'm sure they've got some big stuff planned for ComiCon. :)

I wonder if the rumored casting of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson as Shipwreck and Brendan Fraser as Gung Ho will turn out to be true... It'll sure be a strange choice. In fact it'd be better if The Rock'd be Gung Ho and Fraser Shipwreck... ;)

Michael24 said:
Though the last batch of Dennis Quaid is actually General Hawk, not Duke. :)

An easy mistake to make though...
I always mix up Duke, Hawk and Flint myself... :)

Michael24

fixer79 said:
I wonder if the rumored casting of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson as Shipwreck and Brendan Fraser as Gung Ho will turn out to be true... It'll sure be a strange choice. In fact it'd be better if The Rock'd be Gung Ho and Fraser Shipwreck... ;)

Yeah, it would be better if they switched. I was hoping the rumor was mixed up and that they were actually each playing the opposite character they had been rumored about.

Bruce Campbell would have made a great Shipwreck, and I think an even better Gung Ho would have been "Stone Cold" Steven Austin. When I was kid, I remember thinking the German Mechanic in Raiders would be a perfect Gung Ho. (y)

They should introduce Major Bludd in a sequel and cast Hugh Jackman. :D Oddly enough, last year I was thinking Dennis Quaid would make a good Flint, too.

fixer79

Michael24 said:
Oddly enough, last year I was thinking Dennis Quaid would make a good Flint, too.

He is Flint isn't he? Oh riiight... Hawk! See, I got them mixed up again ;)

I wonder if they'll use a lot of vehicles out of the old toyline... That's be great! Just hope they'll stay away from the later bright fluo colored vehicles...

And what about Sgt. Slaughter? How cool would it be to have that guy make a cameo appearance :)

Michael24

fixer79 said:
He is Flint isn't he? Oh riiight... Hawk! See, I got them mixed up again ;)

Haha!! I don't have any trouble telling them apart. One of my most prized possessions is a mini-animation cel that came with one of the G.I. Joe DVD sets, featuring Duke and Flint and autographed by their voice actors. Both even wrote "Yo Joe!" under their signatures. :)

fixer79 said:
I wonder if they'll use a lot of vehicles out of the old toyline... That's be great! Just hope they'll stay away from the later bright fluo colored vehicles...

At the Hasbro Toy Fair earlier this year, they apparently revealed some vehicle designs and names, but I didn't recognize them from the cartoon, so they may be new ones. I'd love to see the Sky Strikers make an appearance, even though they're basically F-14 Tomcats (now, sadly, retired from service).

fixer79 said:
And what about Sgt. Slaughter? How cool would it be to have that guy make a cameo appearance :)

Yeah, a Sgt. Slaughter cameo would be very cool. I happened to see him during a wrestling broadcast a few months ago, and it he still looked the same as he did back in the '80s.

fixer79

Michael24 said:
One of my most prized possessions is a mini-animation cel that came with one of the G.I. Joe DVD sets, featuring Duke and Flint and autographed by their voice actors. Both even wrote "Yo Joe!" under their signatures. :)
Hey, that's pretty cool! I didn't even know such DVD sets existed!
Is it a cel they actually used or something printed especially for the DVD set?

Michael24 said:
At the Hasbro Toy Fair earlier this year, they apparently revealed some vehicle designs and names, but I didn't recognize them from the cartoon, so they may be new ones. I'd love to see the Sky Strikers make an appearance, even though they're basically F-14 Tomcats (now, sadly, retired from service).

I wonder if those designs they showed at that toy fair leaked on the internet... I'd love to see them!
Anyway, Sky Strikers would be awesome! They were my favourite Joe vehicles! I remember having a patch of the Sky Striker logo... I think you got those for free if you were member of the G.I. joe club...
Those were the days...
:D