Red Dead Redemption

Goodsport

Congratulations to Red Dead Redemption for winning the following categories at the 2010 Spike Video Game Awards on Saturday, December 11th:

• Game of the Year
  • Best Original Score
  • Best Song in a Game ("Far Away" by José González)
  • Best DLC (Undead Nightmare)

The game was also nominated for the following categories:

• Studio of the Year (Rockstar San Diego)
  • Character of the Year (John Marston)
  • Best PS3 Game
  • Best Action Adventure Game
  • Best Graphics
  • Best Best Performance by a Human Male (Rob Wiethoff as John Marston)

-G

Goodsport

xpmas.jpg

-G

Goodsport

Reportedly, the previously pre-order only items (Deadly Assassin Outfit, Golden Guns Weapon Pack and War Horse) will finally be made available for download via Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network this April. :cool:

Rockstar Games apparently wanted to release those items as DLC's sooner but had run into some technical issues that delayed their release.

-G

Goodsport

Goodsport said:
Since getting the game in June, I've played quite a bit of it most of the time but have had some periods in which I'd been so busy in real-life that I didn't have time to touch my console at all. That probably explains why only after all this time have I finally completed the single-player campaign yesterday. :cool:

And what an ending it was! :eek:

In any case, I'll now try to complete the other side-tasks and achievements in the game that I hadn't already completed, start the single-player campaign in the game's DLC Undead Nightmare, and get more into the game's multiplayer. :)

In much the same fashion, I finally finished the single-player campaign of Undead Nightmare yesterday. All in all, it was very well done! :cool:

However, I have a question about the ending:

The ending cinematic showed John Marston returning the mask to the underground altar, then returning home to see that all the zombified living people turned back to normal. A few months later, though, Seth is shown stealing the mask from the altar, causing a dead John Marston to rise from the grave as a zombie, though the vial of Holy Water he was buried with kept his soul intact.

The question is: is there anything more to do in the single-player campaign by that point? :confused: I didn't see any ending credits and I don't see where else to go story-wise, particularly to get the mask back from Seth and once again return it (though it's strange that the living people treat zombie John Marston the same as they did before he was killed, although the other zombies don't seem to attack him now unless he attacks them first).

-G

DiscoLad

Oh ****, Goodsport.
I thought you were talking about regular campaign. Lol I stopped reading as soon as I figured something was wrong.:D

Goodsport

DiscoLad said:
Oh ****, Goodsport.
I thought you were talking about regular campaign. Lol I stopped reading as soon as I figured something was wrong.:D

Sorry about that. :(

So I take it that you haven't completed the Undead Nightmare single-player campaign? :confused:

-G

DiscoLad

Goodsport said:
So I take it that you haven't completed the Undead Nightmare single-player campaign? :confused:

Nah, I'm still looking for 5 sticks of TNT to start a mission with that older version of Marston in Mexico.

Le Saboteur

Goodsport said:

I can honestly say I never expected this thread to get resurrected after the release of Undead Nightmare. Color me surprised. I'll have to look into it.

If you're having withdrawals still...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9GMS9ZI5TGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I meant to post this several months ago, too.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hIqdE4Ops-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rumors still trickle out regarding the forthcoming(?) Red Dead Revolution. I think I've mentioned it before, but this is the logical continuation point.

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Rumors still trickle out regarding the forthcoming(?) Red Dead Revolution. I think I've mentioned it before, but this is the logical continuation point.

Yet no rumours that the original may be released for the PC?

I don't understand the reasoning behind that, when so many games do cross platforms.

While typing this, I Googled to make sure that there wasn't a PC announcement, and discovered for the first time that RDR is set in 1911. Not a classic western period, but the Mexican Revolution. Nevertheless, it looks a whole lot more fun than The Call of Juarez games, in which all the gorgeous scenery is put to waste by 'on rails' arcade gameplay, rather than the openworld of RDR.

Montana Smith

Nurhachi1991 said:
Im excited! Thanks for sharing Montana I love you bro

The 1911 date refers to the original, so Red Dead Revolution would seem to be a continuation of that theme? I don't know because I've never had the chance to play any version of the game, so haven't read up much about the storyline.

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
Yet no rumours that the original may be released for the PC?

I read somewhere that Rockstar uses in house teams that aren't on assignment to do ports. Since nobody appears to be off assignment at the moment, the chances of a port happening any time soon are unlikely. Plus, consider the market: will the returns on the port out pace the returns on a new IP?

Montana Smith said:
...and discovered for the first time that RDR is set in 1911. Not a classic western period, but the Mexican Revolution.

The time period is important to the overall theme and story. By the time the sun sets on RDR, the days of the Wild West are over. The country had been physically settled, but more importantly the United States Government has exerted its control and influence from sea to shining sea. So while there are still "far off places" and flare ups happen, the frontier has been civilized.

Note: In 1859 California lay as far from the old Eastern states as could be; the quickest route from one American coast to the other was via a perilous sea voyage of four thousand nautical miles aboard a cramped steamer, with an overland trek across the Isthmus of Panama midway. The transcontinental telegraph line was still a year from completion; news from the East took two weeks to arrive via Pony Express.

Toss in the large numbers of Germans, Poles, Chinese, Mexicans and Mormons and you can see why the West was a world apart. Not to mention those individuals who were only loyal to whatever plot of land their gold claim was on.

But I digress. The point is at the game's beginning, the Mexican Revolution is in its infancy. And once it ends, the conflict is in full swing as it continues to devolve into a multi-sided civil war. It's the perfect continuation point -- the Wild West has moved slightly South, you can explore US-Mexico Border Politics, and continue where the story left off.

Goodsport

Nurhachi1991 said:
So maybe theres hope there will be one more LA Noire dlc...

Hopefully Rockstar Games and Team Bondi can patch things up between them and indeed bring us at least one more LA Noire DLC. :)

In any case, today is Myths and Mavericks Bonus Pack Day! :cool: A few screenshots of the new DLC can be viewed here.

But don't forget to download and install the game's latest update beforehand, though.

-G

Last edited: