Indy 4 Artifact

jonaspeit

one or two other things :

I learned that the production team was scouting location in hawai... so much for the siberian snowy desert !
However this could be a great location for the pre-title sequence (that could eventualy look like the very first one in the jungle !)

Although the grail does not appear in the bible, it represent 'THE' quest !
The knights of the round table spent their life seeking it and it kills them all.
It represent the ultimate quest that nobody will never achieve. And if you find it evetualy, you must let it go.....

Indy 4

Artifact for Indiana Jones 4

I would like to see a Biblical artifact or another artifact used from either Norse or Greek mythology. It would also be good to see Indy in some new environments like the far north and tropical jungles.
Some possible artifacts could be.....
1.Moses's rod-A film based on the Secret of the Spinx Indy novel by Max Mccoy.

2.Noah's Ark-Again a movie based on the Indy novel by Rob MacGregor.

3.Thor's Hammer-Could have the power of thunder and lightening, and maybe the Soviets or some crime syndicate could want it for their own use.

4.Athena's helmet-Could give the wearer of it wisdom, and the villans could want it, so they have the knowledge on how to conquer the world.

5.Tapestry of the Fates-Indy could search for the fabled tapestry that is said to have every person's lifeline. The villans could want it to change the destiny of all mankind for their own purpose.

Locations.....

1.One of the Norse Countries-A snowy region that could make for a unique environment in the Indy series.

2.Thailand-The Golden Palace in Bangkok would be a nice setting for a Indy adventure.

3.Central America-The jungles and the ruins of the Mayan civilzation would again be a very approriate setting for a Indy film.

4.Easter Island-A strange and exotic island that would make for an excellent locale in Indiana Jones 4.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Methinks Indy going to someplace to find something that it would seem opposite of where one would think it would be, would be very interesting.
For example: Indy goes looking for Thor's Hammer, but instead of finding it in Norway or the Frozen North, he goes to some tropical location to get it.

theinfiniteweird

Re: Artifact for Indiana Jones 4

Indy 4 said:
3.Thor's Hammer-Could have the power of thunder and lightening, and maybe the Soviets or some crime syndicate could want it for their own use.

4.Athena's helmet-Could give the wearer of it wisdom, and the villans could want it, so they have the knowledge on how to conquer the world.

Those aren't exactly Biblical artifacts.

5.Tapestry of the Fates-Indy could search for the fabled tapestry that is said to have every person's lifeline. The villans could want it to change the destiny of all mankind for their own purpose.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds very cool. In fact, if you ask me, it's the best idea thought up so far. Original and all. What do we always get in an aertifact:

Ark- Just an awesome weapon which none compare.
Stones- Believe and it will happen if you have these stones
Grail- Invincability

So far, all the suggestions for artifacts I've ever heard have been based on one of these three items, it seems, or have just been a search for something that has no point, such as Noah's Ark.

Tapestries of Fate, however, has a point. And not the same exact point as the others, either. It's not a weapon of force, it doesn't bring invincibility to them, which is what it seems all the rest I've heard are.

Indy 4, I think that is the greatest idea for an Indy film. It would be even better if it werre biblical, or at least a well known religion. What religion is it?

bob

For me the artifact can only be the philosophers Stone or Atlantis as:

1. They are the only two that have a place in popular consciousness as much as Ark/Grail
2. Choosing them doesnt give the impression of scraping the bottom of the barrel.
3. For both of them i can see a good reason for the villains going after it, unlike many other artifacts.
4. They can be put in within the spirit of the Indy series (i.e. limited use of the supernatural) which an artifact like Eden or Greek/Norse mythological trinkets would demand.

theinfiniteweird

I bet not too many people have heard of that Philosophers stone, unless me and everyone I've talked with lives under rocks. They did a movie well with an unkown artifact (the stones) so I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying as for scrapping the bottom of the barrel, if you want it to be something many people know about, this wouldn't work. Atlantis to me would almost seem scrapping the bottom because it's just too normal. Just MHO.

theinfiniteweird

My friend here who I asked about the artifact mentioned Cain's Knife. The knife used to kill Able, you know. Whoever weilds it would have evil powers, or whoever got it would be changed to evil. Imagine if an already evil person got it, how much mroe evil would they become? Dangerous stuff.

My take on the knife would be that maybe it possessed something that would make you automatically envy, and envy a little too much, like it did Cain.

Is a possesed artifact a little too much, though? Would it be a good artifact, not the knife necissarily, but just a possesed artifact? Indy would have to get it to ensure it didn't do harm to anyone. So in this case, the artifact is the bad guy. it could call to people to come and get it and use it for bad. Sounds kind of interesting to me, but maybe a little far fetched and it would be very hard to pull off.

raydelark

theinfiniteweird said:
My friend here who I asked about the artifact mentioned Cain's Knife. The knife used to kill Able, you know. Whoever weilds it would have evil powers, or whoever got it would be changed to evil. Imagine if an already evil person got it, how much mroe evil would they become? Dangerous stuff.

My take on the knife would be that maybe it possessed something that would make you automatically envy, and envy a little too much, like it did Cain.

Is a possesed artifact a little too much, though? Would it be a good artifact, not the knife necissarily, but just a possesed artifact? Indy would have to get it to ensure it didn't do harm to anyone. So in this case, the artifact is the bad guy. it could call to people to come and get it and use it for bad. Sounds kind of interesting to me, but maybe a little far fetched and it would be very hard to pull off.

It's not too much. I can imagine something like that working well. These thoughts fit the Indy genre like a glove.

LASTCRUSADER

theinfiniteweird said:
. Atlantis to me would almost seem scrapping the bottom because it's just too normal. Just MHO.

I think I have to disagree. Yes we all know that Atlantis has been done in other films and of course the video game. If Lucas/Speilburg can do something different with the Atlantis idea I think it could work well.When you think about it, Indy has found both the Grail and the Ark. Those are two artifacts that would be hard to top. So in my opinion it only makes sense that Jones would be on the hunt for Atlantis or some Atlantis related artifact. For ages people have been searching for the lost city and who better to prove its existence then Indiana Jones. But thats just my opinion.

Indy 4

Aaron H said:
Methinks Indy going to someplace to find something that it would seem opposite of where one would think it would be, would be very interesting.
For example: Indy goes looking for Thor's Hammer, but instead of finding it in Norway or the Frozen North, he goes to some tropical location to get it.

Aaron, is this a hint that Indiana Jones 4 may involve Thor's Hammer?

theinfiniteweird

About Atlantis again...

it just doesn't seem like an artifact. If Indy found the Garden of Eden, like I've always thought would be cool, it wouldn't be because he was looking for the Garden, but because that happened to be the resting place of the artifact he was going to find. Maybe Atlantis theory could be this way. he's looking for something and the resting place happens to be in Atlantis. That's just why I see Atlantis as not being that good of a choice.

But I do agree that, no matter if they choose Atlantis or the toilet paper that Adam first used in the garden, it will be a great movie and I will like it none-the-less.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I'm with you, TIW, the location needs to be new and exciting (like Eden or Atlantis), but not the goal.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Consider this: Darabont's goal in all of his screenplays, was the realization of character, not the resuling manifestation of a sense of purpose.

I am willing to bet a significant amount of honor and a bottle of liquor that IJ-IV will be about the Garden of Eden, and that Henry Jones Jr. will come to realize the power of reconcilation though the process.

bob

theinfiniteweird said:
About Atlantis again...

it just doesn't seem like an artifact. If Indy found the Garden of Eden, like I've always thought would be cool, it wouldn't be because he was looking for the Garden, but because that happened to be the resting place of the artifact he was going to find. Maybe Atlantis theory could be this way. he's looking for something and the resting place happens to be in Atlantis. That's just why I see Atlantis as not being that good of a choice.

My big problem with Eden is the fact that there is by its very definition no natural artifact, and my biggest problem is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with archaeology, with no artifacts, no links to civilisations etc.
Although i think that it is quite a likely artifact i just fail to see how it could work as an Indy movie

Joe Brody

apalehorse said:
I am willing to bet a significant amount of honor and a bottle of liquor that IJ-IV will be about the Garden of Eden, and that Henry Jones Jr. will come to realize the power of reconcilation though the process.

I'll take that bet [. . .and I say that in a friendly tone.]

I'm liking what bob has to say, plus I confess that I have yet to see mention of an artifact that flips my switch (except for some role for the Idol from Raiders -- which I don't see as being THE relic at the center of the film). I may well have to eat my words but I don't see Indy IV having anything to do with any of the more discussed relics or objects (like Noah's Ark, Fountain of Youth, etc.). For me, it's an enigma. Nothing feels right, but I imagine I would have said the same thing about the Grail prior to LC.