Sallah Not In Indy IV

Papa Jones

ClintonHammond said:
"after narrating Christian documantaries"
Let's hope that was just a paycheque too...

What's not to get Papa Jones? Last Crusade was so lame it was mostly just self parody.... What makes you think that Indy 4 is going to be better?

I dunno, I don't think LC was lame at all, it was something unique, I think, trying to give another face to Indy than the badass image he had in the first movies... he seemed more sensible. Well, some part of the audience maybe had a problem with that, but I loved the fact that Indiana Jones still is an human being, you know. I seriously was more afraid about the big 40-50s scenario of ToD... THAT, in my opinion was more of a... parody, or "hommage" to those classic adventure movies.

So, briefly, Indiana Jones movies are no "brainy" movies, just sit down, relax and enjoy the flick, that's the way I see it, and I guess, this is the way I'm gonna enjoy Indy4. And if you forgive all the continuity mistakes and the freedom they took with the evolution of some characters (Marcus, know what I mean?), you will like Indy 4.

Well, I'm drunk, sorry if my reply has no structure, I wrote from the heart :D

Papa Jones

ClintonHammond said:
"after narrating Christian documantaries"
Let's hope that was just a paycheque too...

What's not to get Papa Jones? Last Crusade was so lame it was mostly just self parody.... What makes you think that Indy 4 is going to be better?

I dunno, I don't think LC was lame at all, it was something unique, I think, trying to give another face to Indy than the badass image he had in the first movies... he seemed more sensible. Well, some part of the audience maybe had a problem with that, but I loved the fact that Indiana Jones still is an human being, you know. I seriously was more afraid about the big 40-50s scenario of ToD... THAT, in my opinion was more of a... parody, or "hommage" to those classic adventure movies.

So, briefly, Indiana Jones movies are no "brainy" movies, just sit down, relax and enjoy the flick, that's the way I see it, and I guess, this is the way I'm gonna enjoy Indy4. And if you forgive all the continuity mistakes and the freedom they took with the evolution of some characters (Marcus, know what I mean?), you will like Indy 4.

Well, I'm drunk, sorry if my reply has no structure, I wrote from the heart :D

P.S. Forgive my first double post... dah

Dene

ClintonHammond said:
"They haven't been developing this project for 15 years"
Period....
Well, near enough -- October '93 was when the project was first announced.

Despite the new David Koepp script being the one they're going with, you don't think it's going to be full of bits and pieces from earlier drafts/production meetings?

For a start I'll wager Koepp was asked to write in the three action set pieces Spielberg's had in mind for some time, as mentioned by Vic Armstrong.

On and off definitely, but they have been developing this for about 15 years. Why on earth are you debating that completely uncontroversial statement of fact?!

Dr.Sartorius

Despite the new David Koepp script being the one they're going with, you don't think it's going to be full of bits and pieces from earlier drafts/production meetings?

I'm wondering why David Koepp is getting full credit for writing the script in all the press releases. I thought Spielberg said he brought him in to "polish" Jeff Nathonson's screenplay. Koepp probably rewrote Nathonson's draft.

Last edited:

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Dr.Sartorius said:
I'm wondering why David Koepp is getting full credit for writing the script in all the press releases. I thought Spielberg said he brought him in to "polish" Jeff Nathonson's screenplay. Koepp probably rewrote Nathonson's draft.

I can't answer your question, but this is definitely a good read. Trust me. Not to forget the second part.

Moedred said:
I just wonder if no Sallah means no red line through the middle east.
....well that's an interesting thought...

Last edited:

scifiwolf

Well, even though torao said all that was needed in the second post, I'd still like to weigh in...

I personally don't view this as "good" or "bad," but maybe just approprite [for the movie]. Sallah had a role in LC because the movie was in the Middle East. Although not very close to Cairo from Raiders, Iskenderun (Alexandretta) is close enough for a good excuse to have Sallah in the movie. Now, if Indy 4 isn't taking place any closer to Cairo than Iskenderun, then Sallah has no business in the movie. If they are going to be in the desert near Cairo, then I can't see Sallah not being in the movie without an explanation.

All in all, at this point, the situation does not warrant Rhys-Davies' involvement.

BTW: Tarao, that was a great read from Josh Friedman

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If you stood in line for the Disneyland's Temple fo the Forbidden Eye, you noticed on the video that Sallah apparently made it all the way to India in the 1930's.

ChickenStu1

I would've liked to have seen Sallah in this. He's a great character, and I enjoyed him in both "Raiders" and "Crusade". Plus I really like John-Rhys Davies as an actor, and I thought he and Ford played off each other beautifully. That's one thing I'll really miss in Part 4, and to be honest, I'd rather see him in it than Connery.

Zorg

No Sallah is really no surprise. Not after Shia signed on.

New characters are always welcome, that keeps the thing fresh and exciting. As much as I loved Sallah in the older films, it seems there's just no point having him around this time. Jungles are not Sallah's territory. ;)

A cameo by Connery would still be welcome, if you ask me.

Phaidon

Sallah will not be a part of the new installment... well, I think that is exactly as we all have expected. All in all, Indy IV will not be like Last Crusade in terms of tieing up to Raiders. It will be unique like Temple of Doom, but with greater characterisation and personal problems (Indy's age). You are right, Sallah's appearance in LC was rather comic, so I think comic is not the path Spielberg wants to take (however, I suspect Spielberg to be happy with everything which is not too bad). As a matter of fact, keeping in mind that we don't know anything about the plot, you can't tell whether this is good news or bad news, but this piece of information tells you that Indy IV won't be a copy of the first and the third movie - whether this is good or bad, well, let's wait for the result!

fedoraboy

Phaidon said:
but this piece of information tells you that Indy IV won't be a copy of the first and the third movie - whether this is good or bad, well, let's wait for the result!

I loved Crusade (I know lot's here think of it as a "Raiders cash-in") but I'll be glad if four is different from the first and third installments. I definately don't want another Temple, but I think something different from what we've seen before, in terms of characters, locations and artefacts, would be very welcome. A movie that can stand alone as a fantastic adventure movie, but also retain a very Indy 'feel' would be the best any of us can hope for.

Forbidden Eye

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm okay with Shia. Not sure about Cate. But Sallah HAS to return!

Personally, I always imagined him taken over Marcus' job assuming they've written the character out.

Wouldn't mind even if he had a small cameo. I'm going to miss Sallah. Let's just hope Connery is still in at least.

:( :confused:

How 100% is this news anyways? It doesnt seem much more difinitive than alot of the rumors we have been hearing. Its only two months before they start shooting and there still is alot of secrecy surrounding this movie which in a way is a good thing I guess.

Garrett

personally, i'm a little disappointed by this news. i'd rather have Sallah than connery. i really don't see how they'd include connery other than as a cameo...which might be kinda lame anyways.

KDuncan

I was very disappointed to hear that Sallah won't be in it. He's one of the best characters! I'd take him over Indy's son any day. :whip: