I'm PyramidBlaster...Shout out, Florida!

PyramidBlaster

Greetings!:hat:

I'm an Indyfan from the time I saw ROTLA in June '81...And I've never looked back.

I?m a regular on another forum or two, but I wanted to make sure I didn?t miss anything?So here I am!

Needless to say, KOTCS is going to be HUGE, and i've been gearing back up for the last two months...My duds were in a pitiable shape! I'm looking to make the premiere a great bash...Which explains why I've found myself here. ... I'm looking to network with any Florida Indyfans to put together some sort of gathering for the premiere! Who's with me?

Oh, and if any of you Floridians are into filmmaking...I'm totally down with that, too...Time for a fan film! (or ANY film, for that matter!)

As for me, I've done a good bit of leatherwork, and put my skills to work for things like the Gunbelt, Holster, Bag-strap, and whip holder.

OH, another thing of note? I'm a self-taught whipmaster. I got my first 12' Cattle Baron bullwhip at the tender (trust me, after three months of teaching myself in the backyard---this term is spot-on) age of 16. I began making whips in 1994, and have paid close attention to each result, experimenting with the formula, materials, etc. for years. I've now been cracking a whip for over 21 years!

Up to this point, only my best friend and myself own these whips---Many have suggested I sell them, but up until now, I have relegated them to the 'experimental' category, and would not want to offer them until I feel they're ready. I may truly never sell them, because after spending so much time making them...It's hard to let them go.

I hit a roadblock back around 2000 when I finished a massive, heavy latigo 20' monster, that I was quite disappointed in...Just too heavy. I dropped out for a while to raise kids, but was brought back into the fold when I discovered a local Whip Enthusiasts group. That first meeting totally opened my eyes.

Not only did I get lots of great, knowledgeable feedback on my designs, but I got to get a feel for others' work---including a number of David Morgan whips. I also noticed most people in the group were using high-quality nylon whips...Something I scoffed at as a purist over the years, but using these whips changed my whole outlook.

So, I began building whips again---This time experimenting in nylon. I even revisited that 20 footer, and improved it immensely.

It has been an incredible experience---In the year after that first meeting, I made more progress in my whip form than in the previous 19. I can now crack with both hands---and my target work is the best it's ever been. I can 'Australian cross' two 8/10/12-foot whips at once, or mismatched sizes...And I have video to prove it...

Now, I feel I've finally gotten to the point in my work where I feel I'm making a really decent whip---And the feedback from the group members has reinforced this.

I'm in the process of making three Indy-style whips in time for the upcoming film. They will be rust-colored nylon, 16 plait, 12' and 10' models. The 12' is already done:

12-footIndyspecial08.jpg

This is what I typically carry in 'gear'---and it's what I trained on.

So...I'm waiting for the last few items to arrive, like a replacement Jacket...(MUCH nicer than the one I can no longer fit.) I?m waxing nostalgic, braiding whips, and talking to some great Indyfans.

Shout out if you?re a Florida Indyfan!

PyramidBlaster

...And another new poster, as well!

Welcome....?

Heck, you may have been here longer than I!

I'm actually in the Tampa area...

So...Anyone around here talking about doing anything in the next month? Or anything for the premiere? There's a few people thinking about doing a midnight show at the AMC theater at Disney, but there's not much movement yet....

Mickiana

Hi and welcome to The Raven. Extremely nice whips. I bought a very nice whip from Aussiewhipmaker here in Australia. It's a 12 foot 12 plait and a beautiful instrument. Just one problem, the inner handle is fairly long so it is quite stiff for the first 20 inches or so and when worn on the whipholder the handle hangs down too low. From the pics of Indy style bullwhips from the US it seems the handle is relatively short allowing it to be worn more coiled up. Would you consider making an Indy bullwhip to sell?

PyramidBlaster

I'm not really selling them yet...Nothing personal, mind you...There's LOTS of great whipmakers out there, most of them with more experience. I've gotten great feedback on my design and execution, but I'm still honing the process. B'sides, they're hard to part with when you've worked so hard on them...

The 'Standard' Indy whip has an 8-inch handle, presumably to allow it to be carried easily. Any shorter than that, and the usefulness really begins to suffer...Most of the pro whiphandlers I've met really dislike the short handle in favor of a 10" or longer handle---It's easier to get accuracy with them, and I think the mechanical advantage also makes them easier to swing....

Mickiana

No worries PyramidBlaster, I can understand not letting go of treasured things. I actually just ordered another bullwhip from Aussiewhipmaker exactly like the last one except for requesting an 8 inch handle. If I had known, I would have ordered that to begin with. Oh well, now I have a variety...

PyramidBlaster

Man...Why is everyone but me in this state from the Miami-Dade area? Sheesh....I can sense a long drive in my future...For the next 'summit'...

Well, good to know 'ya....

ReggieSnake

I was born in Florida, but I've lived in Nebraska since I was little. I didn't even know Whip Enthusiast groups existed!:cool:

Welcome to the Raven, and good luck getting a group together!:hat:

indyflys_solo

Hiya, PyramidBlaster!
Nice whip, by the way... I hope to get one soon.
:whip:
I'm from the Jacksonville area... too bad you're so far away; I'm actually in the midst of writing my own version of a fan film (a very-much-like-Indy adventure film), although we seem to have hit a snag (now where have you heard that line before?). By the way, what's your favorite Indy film? Cannot wait for KotCS... are you going to the midnight showing?
Well, anywho, just wanted to say hello and welcome to the Raven... where good friends meet, drinking contests are won, strange characters abound, and where the door still squeaks. Maybe we should all chip in and buy Marion some WD-40? ;)