The Wolfman (2010)

Nurhachi1991

Well he did do a Young Indy episode lol

Meh I guess we will have to wait to see more info. The only way this will suck is if it is like Van Helsing

Goonie

^November? Why don't they release it in October, before Halloween? What, is there a Saw VI coming out they're afraid it would compete with?

sandiegojones

This probably needs reshoots or major effects work, but Joe Johnston is attached to Captain America and it got pushed back so he has time to finish it. That or it just sucks!

The Man

Good Ol' Rick Baker...

3wolfman022709.jpg

5wolfman022709.jpg

TheDarkCrusader

This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. My grandfather got me into the universal monster movies when I was a kid, my favorite has always been the Wolf Man.

Goonie

The Wolfman - Feb 12, 2010

Wolfman.jpg

The Wolfman, Universal Studios' remake of their 1941 original, is hitting the big screens Feb 12, 2010, just in time for Hallow... I mean, Valentine's Day. :rolleyes:

The new movie stars Benicio Del Toro as the Wolfman (originally played by Lon Chaney Jr.), Anthony Hopkins, Hugo Weaving, and Emily Blunt. Directed by Joe Johnston.

Get your silver bullets ready, here's the first trailer:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810007466/video/15143214

(y) (y)

eazybox

This film was delayed several times and recently underwent six weeks of reshoots; that's usually a bad sign, but if I can judge anything from the new trailer, it still looks very good.

I was looking forward to a good "old school" monster movie without the jazzed-up computer effects that can look very artificial (to me, at least); but I guess you can't fight "progress." I'm still eager to see this movie!

There is another existing thread on THE WOLFMAN with a good deal of useful info in it; perhaps this thread could be merged with that one?

Jack

|ZiR|

eazybox said:
This film was delayed several times and recently underwent six weeks of reshoots; that's usually a bad sign, but if I can judge anything from the new trailer, it still looks very good.

SIX FUKKEN WEEKS OF RESHOOTS

Oh man! I hadn't heard anything about that. Uncool! I was secretly stoked for this movie. Hm. Still going to go see it but now there's less enthused "hells yeah Wolfman" and more doomed morbid curiosity about the feature now. Pity.

(Isn't it awesome how I'm judging a movie I haven't actually seen? That's awful. I do it all the time to...)

Speaking of Old Hollywood era monster films, I hear there's a Creature From the Black Lagoon project on the horizen. I'd google it right now and give a link if I cared enough. :rolleyes:

DocWhiskey

It looks great, though. Hopefully the reshoots will make it better as a whole. And I'm glad the WolfMan is a guy in makeup rather then all CGI.

And I have heard of the Creature remake also. It's actually been floating around for years. You can even see some production art of the creatures designs. I wouldn't mind a remake of that in all honesty.

eazybox

They did the reshoots and added the CGI because they weren't satisfied with the appearance of the werewolves and wanted them to be able to move around on all fours. Vic Armstrong also directed some key stunt scenes.

Preview audiences had already given the film good reviews, and Universal insists the changes were done to make an already good film even better. We'll see. My first reaction when I heard about the reshoots was "NOOOOOOO!!!" But I agree the trailer looks great.

Apparently Universal is retooling the old monster factory. In addition to The CREATURE, there is a remake of FRANKENSTEIN in the works and also rumors of a new DRACULA.

Jack

Cole

eazybox said:

I was looking forward to a good "old school" monster movie without the jazzed-up computer effects that can look very artificial (to me, at least); but I guess you can't fight "progress." I'm still eager to see this movie!

There is another existing thread on THE WOLFMAN with a good deal of useful info in it; perhaps this thread could be merged with that one?

Jack
Did you see Hellboy II? They make extensive use of physical make-up, costumes, and physical sets/stunts.......it's really an amazing visual spectacle of a movie. It was criminally overshadowed last year.

I think physical effects will always have their place in movies......but of course digital effects are an amazing, revolutationary tool too. I thought what they did with 'King Kong' was exceptional. There is a balance, and I guess sometimes fans can be too polarizing.

As far as 'The Wolf Man'..........I don't expect a classic, but it'll probably entertain. Joe Johnston makes pretty fun movies. He worked at ILM with the art/visual department for the likes of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and even directed an episode of Young Indy........he asked Spielberg to direct 'Jurassic Park III,' which Spielberg agreed to. And 'Jurassic Park III' isn't a classic like the first one of course, but I think it entertains.

eazybox

Cole said:
Did you see Hellboy II? They make extensive use of physical make-up, costumes, and physical sets/stunts.......it's really an amazing visual spectacle of a movie. It was criminally overshadowed last year.

I think physical effects will always have their place in movies......but of course digital effects are an amazing, revolutationary tool too. I thought what they did with 'King Kong' was exceptional. There is a balance, and I guess sometimes fans can be too polarizing.

As far as 'The Wolf Man'..........I don't expect a classic, but it'll probably entertain. Joe Johnston makes pretty fun movies. He worked at ILM with the art/visual department for the likes of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and even directed an episode of Young Indy........he asked Spielberg to direct 'Jurassic Park III,' which Spielberg agreed to. And 'Jurassic Park III' isn't a classic like the first one of course, but I think it entertains.

I haven't seen HELLBOY ll yet, but I certainly agree with you that amazing results have been accomplished with physical effects alone. The computerized stuff often looks like a cartoon to me. I know many disagree about that, though.

I just hope that the CGI in THE WOLFMAN didn't obscure Rick Baker's makeup work too much; I was hoping for a completely physical transformation scene, but we're obviously not going to get that now.

Jack

Cole

lol, I don't know.......some of those 80's transforming effects were kind of, shall we say, cheesy.

Hopefully they'll achieve a happy hybrid between digital and physical effects.

But ya, I would recommend Hellboy II. I don't know if you're familiar with its director, Guillermo del Toro, but I think he is an up-and-comer. He has a real appreciation and love for the monster movies he grew up with and consequently an admiration and appreciation for physical costumes/make-up to make creatures come alive.

He won an Academy Award for his Mexican fantasy film, 'Pan's Labyrinth' that garnered him a lot of attention. Peter Jackson offered him the job to do the 'Hobbit' movies which in itself is a huge honor. So I'm sure his career is ready to explode when those come out.

Universal signed him through 2017........one of the projects he is slated to do is Frankenstein, which should be fantastic.

eazybox

I have heard that del Toro will helm the new FRANKENSTEIN, and that's very exciting news. It will be interesting to find out who will get the role of the Monster (Karloff is a little too old now :dead:)-- and whether or not they will utilize Jack Pierce's iconic makeup.

Jack

Goonie

eazybox said:
I have heard that del Toro will helm the new FRANKENSTEIN, and that's very exciting news. It will be interesting to find out who will get the role of the Monster (Karloff is a little too old now :dead:)-- and whether or not they will utilize Jack Pierce's iconic makeup.

Jack

I thought it was Bride of Frankenstein they are remaking.

Anybody hear anything about the remakes of Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Invisible Man?