Lucas says it's "just a movie"

Deckard

Kernunnos said:
I do that every day. He knows I always do my best. :)

Seriously, have some faith. It's not all about Lucas.

Yes it is, he worte the meat of the script that Steve films from and Harrison acts from. Im worried now that it is going to be Mutt taking the reigns and have every right to be worried Lucas will destroy something I love from my chioldhood the way he did Star Wars. He may as well just start murdering my ex-girlfriends too.

jasperjones

It doesn't matter, Deckard, the only people up in arms about these comments are on this site. People are gonna see Skull whatever. If it's a good film fantastic, if it's not then who cares.

I agree with the man. When we fell in love with the originals we weren't judging them with the same fervour and over analysis that we're already judging skull. Some people have already made up their minds it's going to suck (and vice versa) based on a few stills, spy reports, rumours and a massively popular trailer.

And as I said, Lucas was convinced that the original (unaltered) Star Wars was going to bomb, and that Jar Jar Binks was going to be popular so shows how seriously we should take his words. It's just his opinion and all that will matter is what each of us thinks individually when the film is released.

Kernunnos

Deckard said:
Yes it is, he worte the meat of the script that Steve films from and Harrison acts from. Im worried now that it is going to be Mutt taking the reigns and have every right to be worried Lucas will destroy something I love from my chioldhood the way he did Star Wars. He may as well just start murdering my ex-girlfriends too.

The possibility of Mutt being too prominent is the one aspect that worries me more than anything.

If he does end up spoiling the film, I guess that's one thing we can all blame squarely on Lucas.

Deckard

jasperjones said:
It doesn't matter, Deckard, the only people up in arms about these comments are on this site. People are gonna see Skull whatever. If it's a good film fantastic, if it's not then who cares.

I agree with the man. When we fell in love with the originals we weren't judging them with the same fervour and over analysis that we're already judging skull. Some people have already made up their minds it's going to suck (and vice versa) based on a few stills, spy reports, rumours and a massively popular trailer.

And as I said, Lucas was convinced that the original (unaltered) Star Wars was going to bomb, and that Jar Jar Binks was going to be popular so shows how seriously we should take his words. It's just his opinion and all that will matter is what each of us thinks individually when the film is released.

Thats because there was no internet w/ the original trilogy or Im sure people would have thrashed ToD harder. Which btw I like as an Indy film so lets no go there.

My point here that few others seem to get is you stand behind your work and don't tell people not to expect much from you, otherwise Im not going to respect what you did because you can't. Get where Im coming from? Im not asking everyone to agree w/ me, but theres my feelings.

jasperjones

Deckard, he did not write the script. He may have come up with the general story, but NOT THE SCRIPT. He also came up with the original stories too. The prequels' story was IMO fantastic, it was his scripting of that story that proved weak, so I wouldn't worry too much.

But he's not dissing it. He's stating quite clearly that he likes it but he knows that there's no way it will please everyone, and that it's not the second coming, and that at the end of the day it is only a movie. I can't argue with any of those points. I actually think it's refreshing, as opposed to the usual Hollywood bull. Anyway, props to your opinion and I'm sorry you feel that way dude. I hope Skull blows us all away!

EDIT - how do we know enough to blame too much Mutt on Lucas? If anything I'd have said that Spielberg is the pro-Mutt guy.

Deckard

jasperjones said:
Deckard, he did not write the script. He may have come up with the general story, but NOT THE SCRIPT. He also came up with the original stories too. The prequels' story was IMO fantastic, it was his scripting of that story that proved weak, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Well it makes me feel better and I agree the overall storyline idea for the prequels was as good as possible but teribly executed. Thats his baby tho so hes responsible.

My thing is just him saying his work basically isn't the best.

What if our own Trevor Grove went into Sideshow and said heres my Indy headsculpt but it's not going to live up to the other figures you guys produce.

Or if Steve Delk had said I can make the hats, but they may not live up to the other movies. They might have told him no thanks.

Everyone is saying Dont worry Dont Worry, but thats usually when the nuke goes off.

Walk up to a girl you like tell her she could do better and you have no confidence in yourself, then ask her out and let me know what happens.

jasperjones

I see your point Deckard, but I 'm just not sure that's what Lucas is saying. He says pretty clearly that he thinks it's fantastic. He's said that if you loved the other films then you'll love this one. He's saying that it is as good as the other films. I'd say he's being very realistic. Just five minutes on this forum would tell you that some people are going to hate it no matter what. They've already made their minds up. Would you disagree with that?

Deckard

No, there will always be people to hate something no matter how good it turns out, It just makes me nervous. Like I said I am excited about this film and want it to do well to drive new life into Harrison and Steve's careers. George tho, hes like a drunk soldier hanging around the launch button. Again he just makes me nervous.

Fantasmic17

oki9Sedo said:
What would you rather he said?

"This is the best of the bunch by far. Its the funniest, the most exciting, its got the best performance by Harrison, John William's score is amazing, and Janusz Kaminski did a better job filming it than I could have imagined"

He's very wise. He doesn't want fans who to have their hopes far too high going in and disliking it because it inevitably doesn't achieve those heights. He wants people to be realistic.

I suppose you're very right. The bottom line is, I'm still going to have my hopes up immensely, whether or not Lucas is the one bringing them up. For the past seven years I've been hearing speculation over the film (like you all have) but with no follow through... I can't believe we only have about two months till the release. I just hope it's as good as Raiders (or at least of the caliber of Raiders). Karen Allen reprising her role is definately a VERY good sign. I only hope her character is as big as it was in Raiders. In my opinion, the romance between her and Indy is the cherry on top of the immaculate film.

Deckard

I would have rather him said,

"You know, I botched Star Wars, my bad, but I can tell you right now, we corrected those mistakes and this movie is just as "Indy" in feel as the other 3. I couldn't be happier w/ what we accomplished, go see it!"

Or nothing at all. That'd be good. "Shut him up or shut him down!" Im sure some producers and investor's also disliked those comments.

Adamwankenobi

Deckard said:
Exactly and if he doesn't feel that way then **** him. Let someone who can still write well handle the script. In reality I'd be more comfortable if the only thing he did for this movie was stay the hell away. If it's just a film why the **** would you make another. Steven is coming out saying he did this for the fans, while George seems to be making it clear he just wanted more Cash.

Did you read the article Deck? He's trying to warn people not to expect perfection, but to instead expect to simply have a good time (which is exactly the intent of these films, to be fun B-movies).

He knows that people on the internet (*cough*AICN*cough*) tend to take movies waaaay too seriously and criticize even the slightest detail. He's trying to lower some of the backlash.

jasperjones

Lol, I think a lot of people are a little nervous about old George, but I think in the right role (producer) he is still fantastic. Imagine the prequels with scripts by Koepp (or any bog standard writer) and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's also worth remembering that on SW what George wants, George gets. Berg and Ford are probably two of the very few people on the planet who can and do say NO to Lucas. We all need that in our lives. It's impossible to produce great work if people are always telling you how wonderful you are.

Deck - I think if you read between the lines, that's as close as Lucas will ever come to admitting that. I honestly think he doesn't understand what he did differently between the SW trilogies. Read his original drafts for the OT and they read just as convoluted and stilted as the prequels. Other writers came in and polished up his ideas and produced magic. In his mind they are all the same, I think he thinks the audience changed (which in a way we did - but that doesn't make the flaws any less). What he is saying is that this is an Indy film. He just thinks that the audience may have changed or is expecting a film that will come along and change their lives. And that is not going to happen.

Last edited:

Deckard

jasperjones said:
Lol, I think a lot of people are a little nervous about old George, but I think in the right role (producer) he is still fantastic. Imagine the prequels with scripts by Koepp (or any bog standard writer) and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's also worth remembering that on SW what George wants, George gets. Berg and Ford are probably two of the very few people on the planet who can and do say NO to Lucas. We all need that in our lives. It's impossible to produce great work if people are always telling you how wonderful you are.

Ya thats one thing that makes me comfortable, how long it took for everyone to agree on the script but it at the same time could have been.." George again and another script, Alight Ill do it already."

It's as people have said his track record w/ the prequels that scares me. I devoted COUNTLESS hours and money as a kid to Star Wars only to have it all destroyed by Lucas.

I feel like Im trying to trust an ex-girlfriend enought to get back in bed w/ her, but last time I saw her she tryed to cut my **** off.

jasperjones

I think though that they're all in a position where they don't have to do that . It can only tarnish them if it's not up to scratch, and they must have seen what happened to Star Wars. I think if it had still stunk they would have waited again or even let the whole thing go...I hope that's the case anyway lol

EDIT - well, for all their faults, I still enjoyed the prequels. I wish they had been better, and totally lived up to what I hoped they would be but life goes on, and you know what, it helped to see that they are just movies...I'm pretty confident that had Spielberg directed the prequels and they been written by a decent writer they would have been awesome...oh well...

Deckard

jasperjones said:
I think though that they're all in a position where they don't have to do that . It can only tarnish them if it's not up to scratch, and they must have seen what happened to Star Wars. I think if it had still stunk they would have waited again or even let the whole thing go...I hope that's the case anyway lol

Ya I just hope its not Ford despreately reaching out for something to grab onto after slipping w/ firewall.

Deckard

jasperjones said:
Prior to the trailer that was my worry, but to me he still has it. I can't wait!

W/O a doubt, Ford will rock the **** in this movie. He was still cool in Firewall, my issue there wasn't so much he looked old, just not the best plot.

snake_surprise

Chilled_Monkey said:
Man, is this the only point he's going to make in every single interview leading up to the films release?

He's so obviously deeply embittered and scarred about the whole Starwars prequel debacle, the only way he can harmonise his own deep failure, is by deflecting the blame onto the viewing public. It isn't my fault nobody liked them, it's peoples unrealistic expectations. Well **** off George, it wasn't my expectations at fault, it was your **** films. Plain and simple. And to tar everyone with this absurdly simplistic sweeping generalisation every sodding time he's interviewed is patronising beyond belief.

So George, let Starwars go already. Get over yourself, and stop coming over as a miserable, cantankerous old fart.
Yup. Perfectly said.

ReggieSnake

Deckard said:
W/O a doubt, Ford will rock the **** in this movie. He was still cool in Firewall, my issue there wasn't so much he looked old, just not the best plot.
Actually, a friend who isn't as much into Indiana Jones as I am, said he was more excited for another IJ movie after seeing Firewall. (he was skeptical before because of Ford's age.)

On the topic of Firewall, I never did see it. Was it worth watching?

Kernunnos said:
The possibility of Mutt being too prominent is the one aspect that worries me more than anything.

If he does end up spoiling the film, I guess that's one thing we can all blame squarely on Lucas.
Shia strikes me as an honest and forth-right actor.
I like the idea of having him in an Indiana Jones movie. I'm not real worried about him ruining the movie, though it's definitely been a worry among Indy fans that he will take the lime light away from the films title character.

I think the guy has humility, he has also spoken multiple times of his respect for Mr. Ford. If it were someone like Leonardo DiCaprio, then I'd be worried (as well as ill:sick:), but I think Shia will actually be a great asset to the movie.

The claim that he might be too heavily in the script (taking over for Indy, as it were) may not be a base-less worry, though: we'll find out in May.

Deckard

Hmm kind of worth seeing Firewall, only once tho, catch it on HBO sometime.

Paul Bettany is cool in it, I liked him before he got big. Check out Gangster No. 1 for Paul's best film. And he married Jennifer Connelly, my dream girl since I first saw the Rocketeer oh so many years ago. WTG Paul.