Indy kind of "Han Solo-ish" in this movie.

SterankoII

At the climax Indy says the recurring Star Wars line:"I've got a bad feeling about this!" They've made Star Wars references before like the numbers on Jock's plane in Raiders(OB-CP0) and "Club Obi-Wan" in TOD. but that kind of took me out. Ironically Lucas intended that to be an Indy line originally but realized he was alone most of the time so he put it in Star Wars. I realized that Indy is kind of "Han Soloish" in this movie. He's making more wisecracks. He's taking the **** out of a younger man and busting his chops. He bickers and trades insults with a spunky brunnette. He's got a hairy friend that you can't understand. He has an old friend who betrays him. And in the end he's standing with said younger guy and brunnette on a dais with them in front of an audience that gives them a standing ovation!

James

SterankoII said:
He's got a hairy friend that you can't understand.

LOL

And yeah, the wedding finale did remind me of the Star Wars ending. I think it's the way they pause in front of the audience before exiting.

There's also the scene where Indy counts on his fingers as he says, "So you're a...triple agent?" This was a suggestion Ford came up with just before shooting the scene. I love when he lets Indy appear to be a little dumb in certain scenes...very "Han Solo-ish". :)

MaxPhactor23

I’ve always been kind of annoyed with the Star Wars association. I’ve never seen much in common other the Harrison Ford and George Lucas. I hate how people treat Indy as Star War’s little brother when it would actually be very much it’s own series.

Michael24

Star Wars references don't bother me, since SW (OT) and Indy are probably my two favorite film series. Though the only things in KOTCS that reminded me of SW was "I've got a bad feeling about this" (which I was glad finally turned up in an Indy movie) and the end of the wedding, though I didn't even think about that one until my dad mentioned it to me afterwards.

Jones_Happens

MaxPhactor23 said:
I?ve always been kind of annoyed with the Star Wars association. I?ve never seen much in common other the Harrison Ford and George Lucas. I hate how people treat Indy as Star War?s little brother when it would actually be very much it?s own series.
I have to agree with this. Let each be it's own thing!

YouNeverKnow

I just thought the line was this installment's SW reference. You have,

Threepio and Artoo in hieroglyphics.
Club Obi-Wan
The Imperial March as the soiree music during the exposition of LC.
and then "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Seems logical to me. My friends and I watched all of the Indy films leading up to the new one I made sure everyone noticed the SW nods, so then at the movie my friend was all smiles after that line was said.

Katarn07

The ultimate easter egg has to be the "1138" hidden in LC. It's just so cool to find that number pop up in things, especially when it's in another language!

Michael24 said:
and the end of the wedding, though I didn't even think about that one until my dad mentioned it to me afterwards.

What are you referring to exactly?

"I have a bad feeling about this" is such a small reference I can't believe people would be upset. I thought it was hysterical and a very fitting thing for someone like Indy to say. And only us diehard SW fans saw it as a blatant nod to SW. My dad and I were the only ones to laugh in the theater when he said it. Casual viewers don't even realize that the line's in all 6 SW films. Even the other nods to SW are pretty subtle, save for Club Obi-Wan, but it took me 10 years to even notice that....

Michael24

Katarn07 said:
The ultimate easter egg has to be the "1138" hidden in LC. It's just so cool to find that number pop up in things, especially when it's in another language!
Though I wonder why they didn't just put up the entire 1138 as the address in Doom Town instead of just 138? Was it more common for homes to have three-digit addresses at that time?

Katarn07 said:
What are you referring to exactly?
When Indy and Marion turn to face the audience, with Mutt beside them, as the audience stands and begins clapping. Was kinda like Luke, Han, and Chewie in the throne room, though obviously on a much more intimate scale. :)

Katarn07 said:
And only us diehard SW fans saw it as a blatant nod to SW. My dad and I were the only ones to laugh in the theater when he said it. Casual viewers don't even realize that the line's in all 6 SW films.
Yeah, I was the only one in my family to get the "I have a bad feeling about this" line as a Star Wars reference. I had to explain it to the others. Haha!!

nezobiwan

YouNeverKnow said:
The Imperial March as the soiree music during the exposition of LC.
:eek:
WTH? When is this. I've never heard of it before! I must know... I want to know! I want to know! :p

(Wow, that KOTCS line has so many applications) :p

Michael24

It's supposed be during the part when Donovan's wife comes in and says "you're neglecting your guests," and you can hear the piano playing in the background. I keep meaning to put the DVD in and check that out, because I've never noticed it myself.

James

Michael24 said:
Though I wonder why they didn't just put up the entire 1138 as the address in Doom Town instead of just 138? Was it more common for homes to have three-digit addresses at that time?

Probably deemed more logical for a neighborhood as small as Doom Town.

According to the "Complete Making Of" book, there are cameos by C3PO and R2-D2, as well as E.T. It's mentioned during the section which deals with the Throne Room sequence, so I imagine they're likely in the artwork there.

I'm not sure it's something that can actually be viewed in the film, though.

Routledge

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the smile of jubilation he gives to Marion at their wedding when they kiss, the exact same he gives Leia, when he kisses her in Endor, after she tells him Luke's his brother?

TheLastCrusader

SterankoII said:
At the climax Indy says the recurring Star Wars line:"I've got a bad feeling about this!" They've made Star Wars references before like the numbers on Jock's plane in Raiders(OB-CP0) and "Club Obi-Wan" in TOD. but that kind of took me out. Ironically Lucas intended that to be an Indy line originally but realized he was alone most of the time so he put it in Star Wars. I realized that Indy is kind of "Han Soloish" in this movie. He's making more wisecracks. He's taking the **** out of a younger man and busting his chops. He bickers and trades insults with a spunky brunnette. He's got a hairy friend that you can't understand. He has an old friend who betrays him. And in the end he's standing with said younger guy and brunnette on a dais with them in front of an audience that gives them a standing ovation!
Lol, this is actually a pretty funny comparison (y)

Jones_Happens

Routledge said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the smile of jubilation he gives to Marion at their wedding when they kiss, the exact same he gives Leia, when he kisses her in Endor, after she tells him Luke's his brother?
Yeah...nobody ever accused our beloved Mr. Ford of being a versatile actor. He's only got so many expressions!!! :D

Just kidding, I love you Harrison!!! But it does look like the same expression.

indyflys_solo

Routledge said:
Even when I saw Star Wars, I've always thought that one kiss was kind of funny: not really a romantic "I love you" kiss, more like a "Mmmph, yay; we won" kiss. When I saw Indy kiss Marion at the wedding, it looked exactly the same. When I saw KotCS, I was cringing by the time the wedding rolled around... but the kiss made me laugh.:D
And I see the whole "Han Solo-Indy" connection... definitely noticed that. And the "I've got a really bad feeling about this" made me giggle as well... oh, Indiana Solo. :p

Katarn07

That wedding scene sounds like a stretch to me, though I'll have to watch for it the next time I see it. Probably will have to be on DVD.

Michael24 said:

How the heck did I miss that?! I usually spot 1138 in all sorts of films/video games on my own! Sky Captain and Halo 1 both feature it in all it's glory and I simply went bananas when I saw them. lol

And I never noticed the Imp March in LC. I'm definately gonna check it out next time. That's a pretty awesome easter egg considering I've watched the film for 17 years now and have not once noticed it myself.

Michael24

I also usually notice "1138" references, but I missed it the last two times I saw the film because I'd forgotten about it by that point. Will keep an eye out for it next time I see it, hopefully over the weekend.

Forbidden Eye

YouNeverKnow said:
Club Obi-Wan

Is the name "Club Obi-Wan" actually mentioned/seen at all in the film? How would anyone find that out if they weren't involved in the film or read it off somewhere like the internet?