TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 01-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Indy's brother
IndyFan

KOTCS fashion police

Although the litany of KOTCS complaints has nearly run it's course, a new question struck me out of nowhere today. Every IJ movie besides Kingdom showed Indy in something other than his adventure gear and street clothes. In ROTLA, we saw Indy disguised as an Egyptian, and as a nazi soldier. In TOD, we were at least treated to his James Bond-like attire in Club Obi-Wan. In TLC, he got a necktie with his adventure gear, dressed as a ticket taker in the zepplin/derrigible/blimp, feigned a Scottish Lord, and once again, blended in as a nazi. In Kingdom, there was nothing new (that I can think of, or that stands out) in the way of mixing up his wardrobe. Please discuss.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Although the litany of KOTCS complaints has nearly run it's course, a new question struck me out of nowhere today. Every IJ movie besides Kingdom showed Indy in something other than his adventure gear and street clothes. In ROTLA, we saw Indy disguised as an Egyptian, and as a nazi soldier. In TOD, we were at least treated to his James Bond-like attire in Club Obi-Wan. In TLC, he got a necktie with his adventure gear, dressed as a ticket taker in the zepplin/derrigible/blimp, feigned a Scottish Lord, and once again, blended in as a nazi. In Kingdom, there was nothing new (that I can think of, or that stands out) in the way of mixing up his wardrobe. Please discuss.

We see him bollock naked in a shower, surely that counts!
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
metalinvader
IndyFan

Well,He was wearing a detainee outfit during the FBI interrogation.....

Guess that's it.

Oh!
Don't forget Indy's B-day suit! (decontamination scene).
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
Well,He was wearing a detainee outfit during the FBI interrogation...
I knew I was forgetting something.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Attila the Professor

We had an action scene w/ a tweed jacket and non-matching pants, which is a new outfit, actually.

I think I also recall reading that no-jacket, sleeves-rolled-down is a new look.

But then, these are variations on IndyWear (by Lucasfilm) and on his street clothes, so this don't quite count by your metric, I guess. (Which is fine.)
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
ninepinejones
IndyFan

We also get to see him in his groom outfit at the end during the wedding,
ninepinejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
The Man
IndyFan

What did he wear for the wedding, again..?*

*Edit: beaten to it.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
caats
IndyFan

and he had that nice suit + fedora when he met mutt. we actually didn't see the full Indy garb till decently far into the movie
caats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
The Man
IndyFan

Remember Mac's flop-cap from the poster? Does he wear that at any stage in the movie..?
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Indy's brother
IndyFan

I guess that part of the reason that I noticed it at all is because it is fun to watch Indy do his "chameleon" bit with disguises. Usually it works for him, if only for a while. Wondering how well his ruses will work, and for how long has always paid off well. (Scottish lord notwithstanding, but it didn't bug me like it does other fans)
Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Remember Mac's flop-cap from the poster? Does he wear that at any stage in the movie..?

Right at the start of the jungle chase. He thinks he gets shot, takes it off.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
deckard24
IndyFan

How about Mutt and his sunglasses as seen in the toy line? As for Mac's hat, I'm gonna have to back and look for that, I don't remember it at all!

Yeah Indy doesn't really mix it up as much as he did in the other films, as far as disguises. If anything his lack of wardrobe changes is similar to TOD. KOTCS is more of a variation of the same outfit with no real significant difference.

In KOTCS I can remember him wearing his Adventure gear minus jacket in the doomtown sequence, his decontamination outift which made me think of The Fugitive interrogation scene the whole time, his professor gear w/bow tie, his suit, tie, and fedora while boarding the train, his full adventure get up w/jacket, and lastly his wedding suit.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caats
and he had that nice suit + fedora when he met mutt. we actually didn't see the full Indy garb till decently far into the movie

Not a suit, actually. A non-matching jacket and trousers.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
A non-matching jacket and trousers.
Yeah, what's up with that? His adventure outfit has much more fashion sensibility in the way of palette. He dresses better when less people are likely to see him. I kind of like how as he got older, his civilian attire got a just a little more square and tasteless, just like most people (especially teachers) as they age.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Yeah, what's up with that? His adventure outfit has much more fashion sensibility in the way of palette. He dresses better when less people are likely to see him. I kind of like how as he got older, his civilian attire got a just a little more square and tasteless, just like most people (especially teachers) as they age.

And its odd, because the traditional tweed three-piece he's got going looks just as good as it always did. Same with the suit he's got at the wedding.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
caats
IndyFan

well he's wearing the same kinda suit he did in the other movies. If we saw him in something like Club Obi Wan, i'm sure we'd see some style.
caats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caats
well he's wearing the same kinda suit he did in the other movies. If we saw him in something like Club Obi Wan, i'm sure we'd see some style.

He is in the classroom, yes. But there's no vest, and the pants and jacket don't match once he's on the train.

It's not an awful look, by any means, but it's also far from the same as anything we've seen before.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutt92
Right at the start of the jungle chase. He thinks he gets shot, takes it off.

He's also wearing it right at the end of the quicksand scene.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #19
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Not a suit, actually. A non-matching jacket and trousers.

That's actually fairly common, at least it is nowadays. I'll have to go back through the films but Indy can't be the only one with pants of a different color than his jacket. Some people just like to shake things up sometimes while still maintaining a "business" look, what's "fashionable" be damned. Plus, Indy was, at that point, pretty dejected, so looking fashionable was the last thing on his mind.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
Kevin
IndyFan

Quote:

What's wrong with his clothes in that scene of KOTCS? A tweed or worsted wool sportcoat with non-matching flannel slacks is a classic look (see any old Fred Astaire movie, or modern Ralph Lauren catalog).

If you are criticizing the colors, I think certain shades of brown and grey look really good together, and his outfit was a good example of this. Certainly an improvement over the black tie with his predominantly brown adventure gear that we saw in LC. I guess the only real fault that I can find is that his hat ribbon is black, while the slacks and shoes are brown. But overall, I think it was a nice look.

I must say, however, that nothing can compare to the navy double-breasted suit he wore in Raiders, that thing was beautiful!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #21
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

I always thought black went well with brown. Many militaries seem to think so, anyway, and there's been countless business suits with black neckties...
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
What's wrong with his clothes in that scene of KOTCS? A tweed or worsted wool sportcoat with non-matching flannel slacks is a classic look (see any old Fred Astaire movie, or modern Ralph Lauren catalog).

Not really sure, to be honest. He just looked a bit more frumpy and disheveled in his civilian attire than normal. The item that bugs me the most lately is actually his eyeglasses. What's up with those? They are half the size of the ones in ROTLA, but the same style. They made him look older, and his eyes more beady. If they are period frames, I can kind of forgive it, but it was at the expense of cashing in on a familiar look/feel/face. Perhaps it was to contrast how well Indy slips back into his adventure gear, but that could be assigning to much credit. Seriously, you guys think he looked the part in his more scholastic attire? The "wedding suit" I had no issue with, he actually looked a little more like the dashing old Indy in it.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #23
Indy's brother
IndyFan

I thought I had mentioned hair in this thread, but after reading through, I guess I didn't. Marion is the one I take most issue with.

Why did they go with this:

instead of this:

I think Karen is beautiful either way, but I think the extra body actually made her look older. The straight hair looks more like our feisty Marion, and would have been easier to pull off than the new look. So why go out of the way for something out of place?

Shorter hair on Ford around the sides and back would have made him look more youthful and would have also have stayed correct for the period of the film. It would have also made his thinning locks look fuller.

The rest of the coifs I think are fine.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #24
DeepSixFix
IndyFan

Quote:
In TOD, we were at least treated to his James Bond-like attire in Club Obi-Wan.
As I understand, the white tux is actually an homage to Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca," one of ROTLA's many influences.

Good thread idea!
DeepSixFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
I thought I had mentioned hair in this thread, but after reading through, I guess I didn't. Marion is the one I take most issue with.

Why did they go with this:

instead of this:

I think Karen is beautiful either way, but I think the extra body actually made her look older. The straight hair looks more like our feisty Marion, and would have been easier to pull off than the new look. So why go out of the way for something out of place?

Shorter hair on Ford around the sides and back would have made him look more youthful and would have also have stayed correct for the period of the film. It would have also made his thinning locks look fuller.

The rest of the coifs I think are fine.

He never had short hair on the sides and back....I mean in LC (during the motorcycle chase) he had a mullet.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote