TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
How would you write Mutt and Marion out?

The last film has really tied Indy down in a lot of ways:

-No longer is he just a professor; now he's an Associate Dean - less time off, more responsibilities.

-He's married, now, and has a son who he never got the chance to know

How would you write around those factors while still keeping the general events of KOTCS canon in this fifth movie?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
OldIndy2323
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 60
Not to mention that he has a daughter by the end of 1958 and a granddaughter via Mutt by the end of the same year. I think the idea of continuity and canon is that ideas and stories can remain until there's NO way to keep them. The movie can simply NOT mention any of Indy's family and we can all keep speculating and adding our own fan fiction to his timeline. Indy V could be like TOD and not "touch" the US and therefore there'd be no need to mention what happens to either Marion or Mutt.

But to your question: I would love to have a scene where Indy, rushing off to his new adventure, passes through his home with Marion, giving her a quick kiss and patting a 8 - 10 year old red-headed daughter on the head, before packing his gear. Before he leaves, Marion says, "Don't worry, we'll hear something about him soon." and pan over to a picture of Mutt. The implication that Mutt is missing somewhere after an adventure gone wrong.

Or, just as KOTCS did with Henry Sr., one of Indy's friends can make a comment about how're things with Marion and Mutt. And Indy can reply with some sarcastic yet endearing comment about family life.
OldIndy2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 490
I think the easiest way to write around it is just not to make Indy's family part of the story.
Mutt's an adult, so it's not as if he'd be spending that much time with Indy anyway. Odds are, he'd have a life of his own. Nobody would find it unusual if a grown man isn't tagging along with his dad.
As for Marion, she's not an archaeologist, so it would actually be a bit harder to concoct a story that DOES involve her (same applies to Mutt, actually.)

And regarding him being an associate dean and not getting as much time off, I don't think that would be a problem, either. First, these movies don't exactly focus on the realism of these kinds of details. But even if they did take it into account, Indy could be retired, or maybe he gets abducted, or maybe the college sends him on an assignment, knowing that his his talents will be better put to use that way. Honestly, I'd prefer it if the college didn't even factor into the story. I don't need to see the obligatory college scene that's already been redone in Last Crusade and Skull. I'd like them to vary the formula and give us something a bit different, the way TOD did.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
Indy should be retired

Fixed that for you....
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Lambonius
IndyFan
 
Lambonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Associate Dean - less time off, more responsibilities.

I beg to differ on this point.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
FordFan
IndyFan
 
FordFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 227
All someone has to do is ask Indy, "You have a son? Where is he?" And have Ford respond with a shake of the head, "Who the hell knows with that kid..."
FordFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #7
IndyForever
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 352
Just ignore both and do not address but I doubt Spielberg will be able to resist giving Karen Allen a part of some sorts!
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
hismasterplan
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 42
The marriage could give the audience knowledge of why Indy has a hard time with relationships or why he left her in the first place. Think John McClain and Holly in the Die Hard movies. John can never make that phone call because of the situations he gets into unwillingly. Or an Indyís case, he canít resist an adventure at the same time.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
Gwydion
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Have Indy visiting their graves at the start of the movie.

Then forget all about them.

Actually, Marion can come back if she's more like she was in Raiders, character-wise, than she was in KOTCS.

I didn't mind Mutt as much as some, but to me, Indiana Jones is not a character who should be doing family adventures.
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion
Have Indy visiting their graves at the start of the movie.

Then forget all about them.

Actually, Marion can come back if she's more like she was in Raiders, character-wise, than she was in KOTCS.

I didn't mind Mutt as much as some, but to me, Indiana Jones is not a character who should be doing family adventures.

You wouldn't happen to be a fan of the King's Quest series of video games, are you?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
Gwydion
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
You wouldn't happen to be a fan of the King's Quest series of video games, are you?

Never heard of them.
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
contra
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Mutt died in Vietnam. Marion blamed indy and they divorced. Indy is an old bitter man, until it's time for a new, final adventure.
contra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by contra
Mutt died in Vietnam. Marion blamed indy and they divorced. Indy is an old bitter man, until it's time for a new, final adventure.

Effective. Well done. Make him an alcoholic and it's on. Oh, btw, the Ark was found at area 51 and now "top men" want him to put it back in Tanis without anyone finding out. Especially The Ravenwood Cult.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
Gear
IndyFan
 
Gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon, U.S.
Posts: 2,014
Mutt was a rebel without a cause, the '60s rolled around and he wasn't gonna take orders from draft officers, so he dodged and is somewhere living as more of an easy rider.

As for Marion, I like the 'blamed Indy for the dysfunction and divorced him' idea. Seems to fit the ebb and flow of their relationship.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #15
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear
Mutt was a rebel without a cause, the '60s rolled around and he wasn't gonna take orders from draft officers, so he dodged and is somewhere living as more of an easy rider.

As for Marion, I like the 'blamed Indy for the dysfunction and divorced him' idea. Seems to fit the ebb and flow of their relationship.

Perfect. -Clap clap-. I'm serious, I think that's the best way to handle it.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #16
Lance Quazar
IndyFan
 
Lance Quazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 1,884
Just have him be abroad on another trip and get swept up into an adventure, "Temple of Doom" style. No need to start everything home front.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #17
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
I do want one Marshall College segment so we can see one scene with mini skirt wearing co-eds. I'm sorry. But I do.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:20 AM   #18
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Effective. Well done. Make him an alcoholic and it's on. Oh, btw, the Ark was found at area 51 and now "top men" want him to put it back in Tanis without anyone finding out. Especially The Ravenwood Cult.

I can dig this too. Have Indy be a bitter, mean drunk, very close to his Raiders portrayal but even more mean. Even more mysterious. Maybe have him living away from the public at first or something; He has nothing. He's a grump - Raiders Indy taken to what would've been his more logical end-point. Something like Fedora in TLC but even darker - pure grave robber for hire, mean SOB, Bogart and Gable all the way. Maybe give it the tone of a dark Western? I know you and I disagree a lot, but I would much prefer you write this film than Dave "Hack" Koepp.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #19
Indyologist
IndyFan
 
Indyologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear
Mutt was a rebel without a cause, the '60s rolled around and he wasn't gonna take orders from draft officers, so he dodged and is somewhere living as more of an easy rider.

As for Marion, I like the 'blamed Indy for the dysfunction and divorced him' idea. Seems to fit the ebb and flow of their relationship.

No way. No freaking way. I, for one, being a romantic, don't WANT Indy to be divorced from Marion. He's been through enough s*** with women, what with losing Diedre and all. Indy is a good man and he deserves love and a happy ending to his life. Let the poor guy settle down. Another adventure? Sure, why not? And why not take Marion along as his "love interest?" Hell, let them be so happy he can't keep his damn hands off her! I know they have their differences sometimes, but hell, "welcome to marriage!" Indy and Marion have more in common than you think. I think Marion has forgiven Indy for his past mistakes because he is so good to her. Sure the relationship isn't perfect, but what marriage is?
Indyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #20
OldIndy2323
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 60
Totally agree! Enjoying married life and a quick reference to his daughter with Marion would be a perfect way to cap his "evolution"
OldIndy2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #21
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Just have him be abroad on another trip and get swept up into an adventure, "Temple of Doom" style. No need to start everything home front.
^ This. Clean and simple.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #22
seasider
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 207
If we've learned anything about the relationship with Indy and Marion, it has always been a volatile partnership where at one point they are together riding off into the sunset and then something happens that causes a period of estrangement. When we first meet Marion in Raiders, she's still hurt about their previous breakup and punches him in the face.

I think they could easily use the Die Hard 3 model where the movie begins with the hero separated from his wife but still hoping to resolve things but in the meantime he goes off on an adventure and kills the bad guys and then at the end of the film, it is hinted that he's going try to patch things up with his marriage.
seasider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #23
Gear
IndyFan
 
Gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon, U.S.
Posts: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyologist
No way. No freaking way. I, for one, being a romantic, don't WANT Indy to be divorced from Marion. He's been through enough s*** with women, what with losing Diedre and all. Indy is a good man and he deserves love and a happy ending to his life. Let the poor guy settle down. Another adventure? Sure, why not? And why not take Marion along as his "love interest?" Hell, let them be so happy he can't keep his damn hands off her! I know they have their differences sometimes, but hell, "welcome to marriage!" Indy and Marion have more in common than you think. I think Marion has forgiven Indy for his past mistakes because he is so good to her. Sure the relationship isn't perfect, but what marriage is?

Well, to make a defense that might sway you, the idea I was promoting could inspire some angry.. love literature.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #24
IndyBuff
IndyFan
 
IndyBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,383
Mutt could be away at school or doing something else with his life. Maybe Marion could see that domestic life is stifling for Indy, encouraging him to go on an adventure when a tempting offer is made. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to write around it.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #25
Indyologist
IndyFan
 
Indyologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear
Well, to make a defense that might sway you, the idea I was promoting could inspire some angry.. love literature.


Ooh... you like it rough? What exactly are you trying to say? What is
"angry love literature?" Not trying to be sarcastic, really. What does "angry love literature" mean to you? I'm a writer, after all (though not by trade) and I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Mutt could be away at school or doing something else with his life. Maybe Marion could see that domestic life is stifling for Indy, encouraging him to go on an adventure when a tempting offer is made. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to write around it.

Um, yeah... as long as Marion isn't written OUT...I could see her encouraging him to have some fun adventuring, although I'm sure she'd be a little concerned should he run into any attactive females along the way. Somehow, though, I think that maybe she would love him enough to trust him.
Indyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.