War Horse

Attila the Professor

Staff member
All I'm seeing is a surprisingly talkative Harrison Ford.

This seems to be the link in question.

I guess there wasn't any chance that this movie wasn't going to have real horses and go the route of the stage show, but since it got so much acclaim for its puppetry, there was room to wonder.

Dr. Gonzo

Attila the Professor said:
All I'm seeing is a surprisingly talkative Harrison Ford.

This seems to be the link in question.

I guess there wasn't any chance that this movie wasn't going to have real horses and go the route of the stage show, but since it got so much acclaim for its puppetry, there was room to wonder.

Whoops! Sorry... pasted the same link twice. :eek:

WilliamBoyd8

Steven Spielberg film "War Horse"

Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg said his upcoming film "War Horse" would not be another "Saving Private Ryan," and that he pulled back on depicting violence to ensure a PG-13 rating with the Motion Picture Association.

"I think this is a good film for families to see together," Spielberg told ABC's Katie Couric. "I'm not saying little kids should see this picture, but families can see this picture. They're accustomed with my name associated with war, to expect the worst. They're not going get the worst in this."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/steven-spielberg-war-horse-saving-private-ryan/story?id=15149330

...he pulled back on depicting violence to ensure a PG-13 rating

What, no Mola Ram?

:)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
London premiere Sunday January 8, Kate and Wills to attend. Release dates for Germany and France are February 16 and 22, so expect at least another month of Spielberg interviews with obligatory Indy 5 questions!

XanaduEli

I really enjoyed this move. I had read the book previously and did not think I would enjoy it, but I was wrong. I most definitely would recommend it to anyone. :)

Stoo

Good Movie

This is a fine, ol' fashioned film (laced with modern sensibilities) and the resulting emotional experience is what movie-making is all about...for good or for bad. If y'all like animal movies, don't hesitate to watch this WINNER.

Battle Scenes = 8 out of 10 points!(y)

Montana Smith

I think I saw his one, but I want Lexi Alexander to direct an adult version. Maybe call it Horse: War Zone.

One of my grandfathers, who was in the Royal Horse Artillery during the First World War, related the fate of their horses in a matter of fact manner. They were treated very much as depicted by the German artilleryman giving the orders.Once they'd dragged the guns up into position they were cut loose and many just simply galloped off in fright and were blown to bits or caught in the wire.

I very much doubt that army surgeons had the time or inclination to leave their human patients to treat horses. Joey was a thoroughbred, and they still shoot them in front of the punters on race days.

I've seen this book/play/film listed under numerous genres.

It is an old fashioned film, and as such outdated and misrepresentative if placed under the 'war' genre. Adventure or animal story fit the bill. Even then I found it extremely heavy handed. A succession of clichés and coincidences.

The emotional content is bought with a heavy price: the constant need to suppress disbelief. Maybe children don't need to do that. But hopefully schools are still teaching the horrors of war from an early age. We had it drummed into us at least by the age of ten.

Battle Scenes = 6.5 out of 10 points (points deducted for extreme censorship)