General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Udvarnoky

Spielberg asserted when he saw how physical Ford was on Crystal Skull that he still has a good "ten years left in him if he wants to do something like this again." They filmed Crystal Skull in 2007. C'moooon, screenplay.

Forbidden Eye

We'd obviously all like to see Indy 5 sooner rather than later, but that "10 years" remark was obviously just a general estimate. When Clint Eastwood made Unforgiven in 1992 did anyone think "he has over 20 years left as an actor and director"?

Obviously none of us can know how much any of us have left.

Toht's Arm

I did just see Robert Redford in All is Lost a few weeks ago. As a 76/77 year old, he was reasonably convincing in a physically demanding role. There were some obvious stunt double moments, but probably because I was looking for them.

all-is-lost-poster2.jpg

AndyLGR

IMO I am convinced Harrison still has one more good turn left in him as Indy. Right now physically he still looks good. But I know that in my own mind ultimately I want to them to do a film that betters KOTCS, because that wasn't the best way to finish the series. I'm also honest enough to admit that may not be the best motivation to see another Indy movie.

inky_skin

Disney must want Indiana Jones to continue to generate income otherwise the purchase seems ill-conceived . Re-releasing the originals won't see a return on their investment due to legal wrangling with Paramount, so no dice there. TV is a proven dud. Games might produce some revenue, but the market is crowded (Lara Croft, Uncharted, even Assassins Creed all encroach on Indy territory). In-park entertainment is already well-represented. It has to be a cinematic venture.

If we view Skull as the starting point of a new trilogy then the best way to combat the increasingly ageing lead would be for "V" to have Harrison bookending a younger actor in a pre-WW2 outing, and "VI" having the new guy carrying the whole film. Action is the cornerstone of Indy's adventures, and with the best will in the world, Mr Ford is reaching the end of his tenure in this genre (hence a lot of his more recent work seems to be looking towards his legacy in the industry). I'm sad about it - I'm sure we all are - but the chapter is closing on a lot of my childhood heroes.

I've always maintained that re-casting Indy wouldn't be the problem - replacing those other actors central to the Indy-verse would. I can think of several actors I'd like to see pick up the fedora, but no-one for the roles of Marion, Sallah or Marcus.

inky_skin

Pale Horse said:
Don't count out the Netflix model. They're invested in there, heavily.

An interesting point that I'd entirely overlooked. Better there than the Disney Channel. Interestingly the BBC has just successfully cut a deal with Amazon to complete a third series of Ripper Street - an unprecedented production and distribution model for the broadcaster that perhaps indicates the future for the medium. But Indy will always be a big screen event for me...

AndyLGR

I don't see the future of Indy being on TV. I think they may still try to get one more with Harrison on board, but time is against them for that. However, I'm also sure that at some point in the future the character will appear with a different actor playing him. Its too iconic a character for the movie industry not to try and resurrect it at some time.

Grizzlor

Well we'll see him as Han Solo first of course, which I think could be quite a shock. Though not nearly as much as Hamill/Fisher I'd say.

Stoo

Toht's Arm said:
I don't have any problems whatsoever with that trick. In my mind (if not in actuality) I always associated the Indiana Jones films with a long shot of an actual location, followed by a close-up usually shot in a studio. This doesn't bother me at all.
Apart from "Skull", the Indy films weren't really shot using that technique but a sprawling trek in a 5th film COULD be done that way, without the general audience even realizing it.
Toht's Arm said:
That being said, I just read The Unicorn's Legacy for the first time and a big chunk of that is set on US soil. I really enjoyed that book, so Indy doesn't have to go nuts globetrotting.
You're right that Indy doesn't need to "go nuts globetrotting" but his adventure should be kept outside of the States for the 5th (in my & other peoples' opinion).
Túrin Turambar said:
Inspirational.
Inspirational, how?:confused: Are you inspired to 'tweet' more about Harrison's age and how he still has the body of a 30-year-old?:confused:

Toht's Arm

Stoo said:
You're right that Indy doesn't need to "go nuts globetrotting" but his adventure should be kept outside of the States for the 5th (in my & other peoples' opinion).

Sure. I understand and agree with the general mood around here, which is that he should be sent to a remote location so that a film possibly set in the 60s doesn't feel too modern day. As long as it's not globetrotting for the sake of it, a la the second National Treasure movie (which clearly did not feature the stars going to all the cities they supposedly did), then that's fine by me.

There's always Alaska though, right? Remote, snowbound - these are two of the things on the Raven's wishlist, IIRC.

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
I've always maintained that re-casting Indy wouldn't be the problem - replacing those other actors central to the Indy-verse would. I can think of several actors I'd like to see pick up the fedora, but no-one for the roles of Marion, Sallah or Marcus.

If they do go the recast route, which I'm not particularly a fan of anyway, I would see no real reason to revisit those characters.

Sure, they're fan favorites and it's great to see your old friends return. Each of those guys were in 2 movies a piece.

But Indy's universe needs to feel large and expansive and the re-use of those characters contributed to that kind of "Star Wars" claustrophobia - the nagging feeling that the world of these characters was smaller than it should be.

Sure, you could recast Marcus if you needed the exposition to take place at Indy's home base. Otherwise, it's far preferable to come up with all new characters.

AndyLGR

Grizzlor said:
Well we'll see him as Han Solo first of course, which I think could be quite a shock. Though not nearly as much as Hamill/Fisher I'd say.
True, Harrison has remained in the limelight for the past 30 years whereas Fisher and Hamill haven't. Add to that the fact they don't look like they've looked after themselves physically and I think their appearance may come as a shock.

Lance Quazar said:
If they do go the recast route, which I'm not particularly a fan of anyway, I would see no real reason to revisit those characters.

Sure, they're fan favorites and it's great to see your old friends return. Each of those guys were in 2 movies a piece.

But Indy's universe needs to feel large and expansive and the re-use of those characters contributed to that kind of "Star Wars" claustrophobia - the nagging feeling that the world of these characters was smaller than it should be.

Sure, you could recast Marcus if you needed the exposition to take place at Indy's home base. Otherwise, it's far preferable to come up with all new characters.
I agree with you. But knowing Hollywoods liking for trying to add familar faces to make the audience feel comfortable I fear they would be tempted to use chracters from previous movies like Sallah, Marion and Brody in an adventure. It wouldn't surprise me to see a retread of ROTLA in the future too. Not that I'd liek to see that. I personally think any recasted movie in the future should be a stand alone thing to then try and get another series of films going.

Grizzlor

AndyLGR said:
I agree with you. But knowing Hollywoods liking for trying to add familar faces to make the audience feel comfortable I fear they would be tempted to use chracters from previous movies like Sallah, Marion and Brody in an adventure. It wouldn't surprise me to see a retread of ROTLA in the future too. Not that I'd liek to see that. I personally think any recasted movie in the future should be a stand alone thing to then try and get another series of films going.

Marion (Karen Allen) will be in the film, that's a given. To what extent I don't know. I would love to have Sallah again, and John Rhys-Davies is old but he's still working fine. The real question is what they do with crazy Shia?

Pale Horse said:
Don't count out the Netflix model. They're invested in there, heavily.

Neither TV nor Netflix offer Disney enough $$ to satisfy the production, marketing, and actor costs on a Harrison Ford-Indy project.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Grizzlor said:
Neither TV nor Netflix offer Disney enough $$ to satisfy the production, marketing, and actor costs on a Harrison Ford-Indy project.

Why do you say that? Netflix is killing it with House of Cards...and they have a miniscule budget compared to the House of Mouse.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Why do you say that? Netflix is killing it with House of Cards...and they have a miniscule budget compared to the House of Mouse.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. If Breaking Bad can do what I did think what Disney could do for a series or mini series. Remember Disney dropped 4.4 BILL to buy Lucas films. I think they have a budget....

Lance Quazar

Grizzlor said:

Exactly.

Indy? On Netflix? Absurd. Unless it's animation, forget about it.