TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
soapboxtop
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana/Louisiana
Posts: 73
Ark burns US warehouse crate?

My apology if this was already discussed, I searched and couldn't find the topic...


I was reading an Amazon comment on the new box set DVDs, somebody said the scene where the ark at the end burns the logo of the crate it's in is not in the movie. I was stunned, because I remember this scene!

Before I go any further, I live in the US now, but when Raiders came out I lived in France. Anyway, I saw the scene and remember it, so I know for a fact that this is not urban legend as some U.S. fans were implying at another board I saw.

I rented the movies in a box set a few days ago and checked. The scene is, you guessed it, NOT in the movie!!! (and yes, it'd been years since I saw the movie so this was my first US video of Raiders I watched). Was this scene EVER used here in the US? If so, why was it edited out?

Anyway, what's the deal here?

Last edited by soapboxtop : 03-23-2005 at 04:53 PM. Reason: more articulate explanation
soapboxtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Colonel Vogel
Guest
 
Colonel Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Transylvania
Posts: 333
The scene is on the Region 4 Australian DVD. The Aussie DVD's are great, nothing has been changed from the original trilogy apart from removing the snake's reflection in Raiders.
Colonel Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
soapboxtop
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana/Louisiana
Posts: 73
That's just amazing! I guess Spielberg and Lucas didn't want to piss off some americans with the US logo burning. That's too bad. It's such an important scene.
soapboxtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Indy Parise
IndyFan
 
Indy Parise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuck in 1944
Posts: 506
It's not the U.S. logo it's a nazi eagle.
Indy Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan
 
Luisiana Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Posts: 656
lol true, and if my memory hasnt burnt away as the nazi logo, in the spanish version, the one i own the scene is still there
Luisiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
soapboxtop
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana/Louisiana
Posts: 73
Heh, so nobody knows why they left it out in Region 1...weird.
soapboxtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
theinfiniteweird
IndyFan
 
theinfiniteweird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas, near Houston.
Posts: 290
In my version I had- I live in Texas, got the wide screen VHS with the short interviews at the end-, it definitely has it.

And yes, it's a Nazi symbol, not an American symbol. Why would a French Archeologist and Nazi troops (working in Cairo at the time) store something in an American crate? Kind of funny if you think about it like that.
theinfiniteweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
soapboxtop
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana/Louisiana
Posts: 73
Memory failing, that's how I explain it .
soapboxtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
Colonel Vogel
Guest
 
Colonel Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Transylvania
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxtop
Memory failing, that's how I explain it .

WELCOME TO THE RAVEN!!!
Colonel Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
soapboxtop
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana/Louisiana
Posts: 73
Thank you, Colonel!
soapboxtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #11
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus
 
Aaron H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,572
The Nazi symbol burns away in the ship's hold...that is on all the regions.
However, on the Region 1 (and I presume Region 2) discs the final scene in the warehouse that has the American flag being burned away was cut.
Personally, I wish they had kept it in like it was for original theater release. It made a statement that no one, not even a government, can contain or control God.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 AM   #12
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron H
However, on the Region 1 (and I presume Region 2) discs the final scene in the warehouse that has the American flag being burned away was cut.
Personally, I wish they had kept it in like it was for original theater release.

What? Are you kidding? I don't remember that?!?!
Please, refresh my memory!!

Here's another "missing scene" story:
I saw "Raiders" 3 times in '81. The last 2 had Forrestal's trap scene
cut out right after "Stay out of the light". When it was re-released
a few years later, Forrestal was back! In all his gruesome glory.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #13
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus
 
Aaron H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,572
Whilst I was not alive in '81...my parents were...and they swear up-and-down that there was such a scene. I have seen the clip myself I know it to be true.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:21 AM   #14
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,030
Dig

I don't disbelieve you. I'm just freaking out!
Where did you see this scene and can you
describe it in any more detail? I'm extremely
curious about this.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:00 AM   #15
VP
Moderator Emeritus
 
VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Suomi
Posts: 3,426
Tell me more, I'm interested. I have never seen this scene or even heard about it.

I have noticed two things that they changed for the DVD's: The snake reflection is deleted and the music is louder.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:18 AM   #16
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus
 
Aaron H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,572
It is just like the scene in the ship's hold. Instead of the Nazi symbol being burned away, however, the Top Secret Property of the US GOVT. symbol burns away. Then it goes to the long shot of the warehouse.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #17
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron H
It is just like the scene in the ship's hold. Instead of the Nazi symbol being burned away, however, the Top Secret Property of the US GOVT. symbol burns away. Then it goes to the long shot of the warehouse.


Aaron, I've got no memory of this. In your prior post you reference discs. Is the scene in the U.S. warehouses on the old VHS (McDonald's vintage) tapes? If so, I'll have to blow the dust off the tape and check it out.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:48 AM   #18
theinfiniteweird
IndyFan
 
theinfiniteweird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas, near Houston.
Posts: 290
Pretty cool scene, I remember something about it vaguely. I wished they would've kept it in also.
theinfiniteweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #19
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,030
Well, all the crates read "Top Secret Army Intel" and do not mention
"U.S. Gov't". Anyways, I'm assuming that's what you meant.

Aaron, you say you've actaully seen the shot. Where???
I saw the movie opening week (in Canada) and have never
seen or heard of this until now.

Do you know if yours parents saw it together or seperately?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:28 PM   #20
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,653
There's no second crate-burning in the '91 McDonald's vintage VHS. The markings on the crate are pretty bland -- so I don't see the dramatic effect of the markings being burnt-off (there's no seal of the Army, etc.). And the sequence really wouldn't work if there was another close-up. The scene goes close-up of the markings being painted on the crate. Then a shot pulling back showing the crate being pushed down the aisle -- to the big pull back to the warehouse. Credits start to run over the wide shot and then fade to black with the credits still running. Credits run to the reversion back to the Paramount logo and then that's it.

Sorry Aaron, but I have no memory of the second burning in the original. I'm gonna say a friendly Bullsh*t on this one.

[Incidentally, I'm in the same bind in another film. At the end of the original Murder By Death, the Sidney Wang character and his adopted son are fleeing the mansion in their car. They come across a lost Sherlock Holmes and Watson type who ask directions. They give the directions. This sequence has been dropped from all versions -- I assume because of some copyright flap. I have no proof it was in the actual film but I know it was there. So I feel for you -- and acknowledge that you may well be right.]
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:12 AM   #21
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus
 
Aaron H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,572
It was never put on to the VHS or DVDs. It was only in the original release...and perhaps, only at a few showings. My folks saw the movie opening night...two years before I came onto the scene (they saw ToD just before my birth).
The reason why it was cut was because George & Steven decided that God was actually on the side of the USA and thus should not burn away the markings...or so they say.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:12 AM   #22
Colonel Vogel
Guest
 
Colonel Vogel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Transylvania
Posts: 333
Aaron H, what Indy movie did you see first and which is you favourite?
Colonel Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:43 AM   #23
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,030
Thumbs up

I would tend to think it was only a few showings and was
going to ask you if your folks were at a test screening or
special "sneak-preview" premiere. Plus, I can testify that
at least one other cut was made within the first month.

In the past there've been examples of a scene being pulled
immediately after opening night (Ex. "King Kong") but this is
blowing my mind!

For Joe Brody, what are the '91 McDonald's vintage VHS?

For Aaron, *how* have you seen this cut clip?
Please, indulge my appetite for missing scenes.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:32 AM   #24
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxtop
Memory failing, that's how I explain it .

Possibly not...Do you remember the shot being in the cargo hold
or the final warehouse scene?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:34 AM   #25
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Possibly not...Do you remember the shot being in the cargo hold
or the final warehouse scene?


I remember it on the Cargo hold. I also remeber seeing a scene captured in the novels about Indy stopping before the spider romm in the peruvian temple to gather some artifacts for the sandbag...Is this a regressed memory?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.