akator in brazil?

dr.jones1986

Im new here so im not sure if this has been talked about or not...but after indy and mutt are captured we see the the classic red line on the map scene as always. If you follow the map it appears that it goes over the border into brazil(the country most often associated with the amazon...though peru has a significant portion of the rainforest in its own border). Did anyone else notice this. Until i saw this the other day i always thought that the movie took place only in the US and Peru...

AlivePoet

dr.jones1986 said:
Im new here so im not sure if this has been talked about or not...but after indy and mutt are captured we see the the classic red line on the map scene as always. If you follow the map it appears that it goes over the border into brazil(the country most often associated with the amazon...though peru has a significant portion of the rainforest in its own border). Did anyone else notice this. Until i saw this the other day i always thought that the movie took place only in the US and Peru...

Interesting observation. That's where they camped initially, but they did some traveling after the capture--first by vehicle, then by boat, then by foot. Which direction they head wasn't really specified, I don't recall...

dr.jones1986

that is true and i was thinking that...but i think the map scene shows that at least part of the amazon scenes take place in western Brazil and not Peru...

AlivePoet

dr.jones1986 said:
that is true and i was thinking that...but i think the map scene shows that at least part of the amazon scenes take place in western Brazil and not Peru...

I haven't paid close enough attention to the scene, and I'm not as brushed up on my geography as I ought to be. But nice attention to close detail. Technically, the film never takes place outside the U.S. but chalk up another country they "set" the film in. (y)

Welcome to the Raven, by the way. :hat:

Kingsley

As far as I understand and know Southamerica's geography, Akator may be somewhere in the hearth of Amazonas, and that's the borderline between Brazil and Peru.

The big waterfalls we see in the movie are southamerican too, but far souther, in the borderline between Argentina and Brazil (Iguazu falls). But that's not an indication for their location in fiction, evidently.

In those days, Amazonas was an almost unexplored place... now you can even "travel" over its detailed rainforest with google earth.