Night at the Museum Battle of the Smithsonian

AnnieJones

Did anyone here see Night at the Museum 2? If so did anyone like it? I personally thought it was as funny as the first one,but I would like to know what your thoughts are.

indyrocks1936

i saw it and i thought it was quite funny. but i wish they had a diffferent twist other than focusing on the tablet. but i really thought it was funny when they argued over the dress or 'tunic' of khamanra right? and how darth vader and the muppet came in! too bad indy didn't show up or han solo...:D

Mrs_Fedora

I saw it as well and I thought it was very enjoyable. I kinda like this type of humour, museum pieces coming alive... hilarious. :D :D

AnnieJones

indyrocks1936 said:
i saw it and i thought it was quite funny. but i wish they had a diffferent twist other than focusing on the tablet. but i really thought it was funny when they argued over the dress or 'tunic' of khamanra right? and how darth vader and the muppet came in! too bad indy didn't show up or han solo...:D

Yeah,that would have been soooooo funny!

AnnieJones

Mrs_Fedora said:
I saw it as well and I thought it was very enjoyable. I kinda like this type of humour, museum pieces coming alive... hilarious. :D :D

Makes me want to get a job at a museum at night. lol!

kongisking

I have seen both Nights at the Museum, and I look upon them highly as excellent family entertainment. Nowhere to be found are the requisite fart jokes, burping and heavy-handed moral (although this movie does get one near the end, but I'm forgiving this one since said-moral results in a great joke by the always-reliable Robin Williams) that Hollywood seems to think are absolutely necessary in modern family films.

Some of my thoughts:

-I love Ben Stiller, who has such an honest, sandpaper-dry wit and sense of casual flamboyancy it becomes inspiring. And this movie, he is as great as he has ever been. As mentioned, good ol' Williams returns as good ol' Teddy Roosevelt, bringing an air of quite dignity among the madness. But don't get me wrong; Teddy can be outrageously funny when he wants to be.

-The trailers made it seem like there was more Darth Vader/Oscar the Grouch than there actually was in the movie, which was a tad disappointing. A minor quibble, however.

-The Albert Einstein Bobbleheads are just adorable.

-Owen Wilson plays Jedidiah, the legendary cowpoke. And damn, is this little guy just bursting with badass! Keep your eyes peeled for the side-splitting 300 reference he and Emperor Octavious (no, no, not that Octavious!!!).

-Hank Azaria is just fantastic as Kah-Mun-Ra; he gives his character such a likeable personality and so many great quirks (his accent being the big show-stopper here) that you almost wish they could make a spin-off about this guy. Even though he is the, ahem, villain of the movie, Kah-Mun-Ra just bubbles with enthusiasm. His glee at the prospect of taking over the world is so infectious. And his banter with Ivan the "Awesome", Napoleon and Al Capone is just golden.

-Hank also voices Abraham Lincoln, who in my mind was the best President America has ever had (that is, until Obama steps down. Yes, yes, that was a shameless plug for my man Barack...:eek: ). At first I was nervous that the filmmakers would turn Abe into a clownish, dumb-as-rocks buffoon, but to my great satisfaction Abe is played absolutely straight for the most part. The comedy, therefore, comes from the contrast between this elegant, sophisticated gentlemen and the other players' goofiness.

-I did think that having the Cupid statues sing pop songs was just too much.

-The brief moment with The Thinker is great. "I'm thinkin'...I'm thinkin'...I'm thinkin'...I'm thinkin'...I'm thinkin'...I'm thinkin'..."

But all these wonderful little kibbles are like baby shampoo compared to the absolutely gorgeous, lovable, high-spirited and endlessly compelling Amy Adams as Amelia Earhart. Not since Marion herself has a heroine been so goddamn unforgettable in her spunk, wit and courage. Seriously, men and boys, I dare you to sit through this film and NOT fall deeply in love with this character.

The chemistry between her and Larry Daley (of Daley Devices, don't forget) is just so sweet and so innocent I was almost in tears. Everything about this gal, her hair, her face, her posture, her vocabulary...not a single false beat in this performance. It is both Adams and Azaria who deliver the most in this flick, because they obviously had a helluva good time doing it.

I really enjoyed Night at the Museum 2 in a big, dumb, silly sort of way. If you try to view this movie in any other frame of mind, your eyes will bleed from pure agony and hatred. Therefore, the oft-overused phrase "check your brain at the door" is entirely appropriate here. That is exactly what I did, and when I walked out of the theater I had the stupidest grin on my face. If only people did this more often; they'd enjoy a lot more summer blockbusters (specifically one in particular)...:D :D :D

Le Saboteur

Mrs_Fedora said:
That would be the coolest night shift ever! (even if it doesn't earn much..) (y)

But you'd be a Federal employee. Free health care, so you'd cut out a lot of unnecessary expenses!

jonesissparrow

I thought the film was good but I thought it was a bit weaker than the first one. Out of 10 I give an 8. There were moments were I wish they cut the shtick short and I thought there were some missed opportunities like having the Tuskegee Airmen there but acting too PC for my tastes. One of my favorite scenes was when the paintings came to life and Ameilia and Larry went into the famous WWII picture in Times Square really made my day! There were some moments that made me want to scringe like the Jonas Bros. as the three cupids.
To me this is like a historical version of Alice In Wonderland.
The best part of the film however was Amy Adams. Not she WAS fine! Especially in those tight pants but she came across like Katherine Hepburn in the Screwball 1930s comedies she was in and even carried her accent.

amyadams.jpg

Hank Azaria was awesome in this not only as Kah-Mun-Ra but also as the Thinker and Abraham Lincoln (although at times he sound a bit like Moe). He was one of the most quirky villains I have seen since Ratigan (from the Great Mouse Detective) and I like the fact he sounds like Boris Karloff with a lisp.

indyclone25

Amelia Earhart said:
I like Amy Adams and Hilary Swank as Amelia Earhart.Thanks for putting these pictures up!;) (y)
amyadams.jpg
i liked amy adams in the movie too , she had that spunk!! and looked awesome in those pants

RedeemedChild

AnnieJones said:
Did anyone here see Night at the Museum 2? If so did anyone like it? I personally thought it was as funny as the first one,but I would like to know what your thoughts are.

While we were at the Smithsonian earlier this year we were treated to Nightmare at the Museum/Battle of the Smithsonian galore. They kept repeating the Battle of the Smithsonian trailer over and over again throughout the different buildings and they even gave out Smithsonian booklets that were Battle of the Smithsonian themed. My father and my sister laughed and enjoyed the trailer while I suffered the misery of the whole situation. I loved the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian itself but the Nightmare at the Museum things.

I don't like either films and I find it to be on the same level or perhaps lower than Toy Story. I never really cared for the Toy Story franchise with exception of Toy Story 2 and the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command television series which I fell madly in love with at the age of 10 or 11.

However I have no problem with other people liking the Nightmare at the Museum films as I have noticed they thankfully causing people to take an interest in History and the History Channel.

I'm just not one for such silly comedies. I prefer something more sensible and epic like Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure and Lord of the Rings as those three franchises caused me to take a deep and long lasting interest in the Old World, Old England, King Arthur, Templar, Masons, The dark secrets of America and The Golden Pirate Era.

AnnieJones

IndyWolf15 said:
I have'nt seen the second movie yet, but i liked the first one. From what i hear it has a lot of good reviews.
Well,I saw the movie and here's what I think.I liked the moral to the story in both movies and I liked the humor in both movies.
I think the story line to the first movie was better than the second movie,but it is still worth watching.(y)