Petition to publish Staff of Kings novelization!

No Ticket

I didn't realize until now that the novel had been canceled along with the game. I'd like to believe it might be because of Indy 5. But I'm not so sure about that. That would be okay I... SUPPOSE.

But I'd still like to read this novel, so I signed, #487 and there are 488 signatures! But realistically, I think you'd need in the thousands to come close to convincing Lucasfilm.

bennihana123

I know the game is all about the staff of Moses, and the developers said they worked very closely with Lucas to write the story. So I don't think it has anything to do with Indy 5 because the Staff of Moses has already been used in a canonical way.

Morning Bell

I hope that the rumors of a possible Indy V might cause the publisher to reconsider. If public interest in Indy picks up again they might be more willing to go through with it after all.

Goonie

Rats, we're at 497 sigs and can't seem to get past the 500 mark. It's been at 497 for a couple of days now.

Jono11

dr.jones1986 said:
when will this petition be sent to Lucasfilm?
It won't. That's what I've been trying to say. This is just some online software, run by a bunch of hucksters that are playing on the emotions of internet fans.

Icybro

524 signatures is not bad, but I think we're gonna have to step up our game if we want to get this book published. Rob MacGregor's blog now suggests that fans write letters to Lucas directly, encouraging him to publish the book. His address is:

George Lucas
Lucasfilm
P.O. Box 29901
San Francisco, CA 94129

I've read that in this kind of situation, old fashioned snail mail letter-writing campaigns are far more successful than online petitions. It makes sense; it's just too easy to sign a petition like this, and it's difficult to verify signatures. All-in-all, it's hard to make the case that this petition indicates a real market for the book, and it's easy for Lucasfilm to just ignore the whole thing.

Snail mail letters are a different story. The relatively large effort required to compose and send a letter is a better indication of fan commitment, and the fact that they physically show up in someone's mailbox makes them more difficult to ignore.

I'm going to pop my letter in the mail tomorrow; I finished that Staff of Kings game, and though I enjoyed it overall, the story as presented was wholly unsatisfying. I'm dying to see how MacGregor fleshed it out. We can do this, people! Who's with me? :gun:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Good on Rob MacGregor for being so truthful in his blog! I'm glad he hasn't stayed silent over the whole thing.

I may just join in the letter writing campaign...

Icybro

Perhilion said:
on the off-chance that this doesn't work, might Mr. MacGreggor be kind enough to post the novel online?

I kind of doubt it. I'm sure Lucasfilm owns the book even if they never publish it, and I don't think he'd want to jeopardize his career by violating their copyright.

Icybro

Well, it took a couple of days longer than I expected, but I just posted my letter to Lucasfilm via snail mail. I even enclosed a $20 check (with the memo field marked "for the Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings novel"), just to demonstrate that there really is a market for this book. We'll see what happens.

Has anybody else taken up Mr. MacGregor's advice and written an old-fashioned non-e-mail about the book? I doubt one such letter will make much of a difference, but a hundred might . . . If everyone who signed the petition sends a letter, I bet the novel would see a release in one form or another. :gun:

Insomniac

I agree Icybro Old school might prove that there is an audience out there with willing to take time to do it at really prove they want it.