Fedora

IndyMcFly

Yes. The Akubras are the Terminators of fedoras... I don't want to sound mean at all, but were you even listening to Renderking? I feel bad for the guy, he comes here and talks about how great the Akubra is, and gets asked questions where the answers have already been said... I'm not mentioning any names, and again, don't want to sound mean, or offend, but please, re-read what's been said before you ask questions, or we'll have to start an FAQ section about Akubras!

God bless, and have a great, God-filled week, ;)
Shane

QueZTone

well Fisk loves talking about the Akubra you know :) Just giving him some excuses to talk about it more! :D

Okay so they're both indestructable but the Deluxe is even a little stronger?

I

Indy's_main_man

My understanding is the delux has a beter type of felt or something

I

Indy's_main_man

Well I think i'll hold off until my head is done growing :)

QueZTone

I appreciate your stories Fisk, thank you for letting us know about the Akubra :)

I think I'm going to get a wested first...then the Akubra. I think I'll feel more comfortable wearing the Akubra when wearing the jacket...dunno just fits the picture better I guess...

but first I need a new pc! :)

Skippy

Hi, new here & my first post, although I'm an old hand at movie prop replica boards :)

Would anyone care to comment on the Herbert Johnson Fedoras? I'm most interested to hear any opinions.

Being in London I know their shop quite well, especially as they do work on my police flat caps.

Cheers......Skippy

Renderking Fisk said:
Like McFly notes, Lee's got some lead-time problems. If you're too lazy to bash you're own lid, I can imagine you're too lazy to wait half a year or more for a new lid in the first place.

End your suffering and get an Akubra.

If this was aimed at me..... I feel like I need to say that I have no confidence in bashing a hat whatsoever, let alone cutting it and sanding the sides and what not as described in that tutorial to get the Akubra to match Indy's hat. I would, in all honesty, prolly screw it up and there goes a $100 down the crapper. For an extra $40 I can get one that looks perfect and not worry about ruining the hat. So, I think I can wait for it to arrive.......

Skippy

Thanks for the welcome Fisk :D

Well I'm planning on getting round to checking out the HJ Fedoras after my summer holiday (much needed!) :p

How old is the info about the HJ Fedora quality going down hill?

Certainly HJ don't do the original style of hat that they provided for the films, but HJ got taken over by by a company called 'Swaine, Adeney, Brigg' who are a glove & whip manufacturer (they made the mini-whip for the young Indy in LC) sometime in the last 10 years & are now a subsidary department of SAB.
Like I say, that was in the last 10 years & I don't know of any recent changes to the company.

BTW what is "COW"? :)

Cheers......Skippy

Doc Savage

To all concerned, the Federation is all Ren claims and then some. The bashing is easy, and the stiffener is forgiving. I steamed the dickens out of mine to get the brim right, and each time I screwed up it rolled flat and reshaped with the greatest of ease. A thing of beauty is an Akubra Fed...get one.

LASTCRUSADER

Does anyone know if Hatsdirect takes cheques through paypal? I tried linking to the paypal help section to find out since I don't have a credit card but the link doesn't seem to work. I'm hoping to pick up the Akubra Federation.

Good hat

There are many notions of what makes a good hat. While many seem to prefer the best hat Ren has owned in 20 years, others that have made great hats for 30 years have differing opinions. When you talk about how much stiffener is in a hat then to a professional hatter, the hat is either a western hat or an inferior hat that is stiffened to make it workable for a novice hat wearer. Nothing inferior about any hat that the buyer or wearer of the same hat likes but if you are talking a good hat you are talking a butter soft hat that has little stiffener at all in the crown and just a touch in the brim. If you are talking a great hat then you are talking a sterling beaver hat. While we produce high dollar high end hats and make them available to the public at large in all countries in the world, our good friend Steve Delk is opening his own hat shop and is advertising quality hats at prices far less than ours.

While we have no qualms about any brand of hat, I think fairness should allow us to say that what many IJ fans have grown to know as a good hat is what many hatters would not sell for any price nor would they have them to give away. Again that is not to say if the hat fits ( your needs do not wear it) but it is to say there are hats and then there are good hats. When I read that 100.00 is a high price for a hat I have to wonder what is this based on when houses cost 150,000- 1 million and more an cars 20,000.00 and more or 50 gallons of gas is 100 dollars and will last for a couple weeks and yet a hat of quality will last several generations.

Our hats come with a life time guarantee and yet will last many generations after the wearer is gone.

We pay more than 100 dollars for our least expensive fur felt body that a hat is made from. From there we add another 25.00 of component parts and then will spend 10 days making the hat.

This is a custom hand made hat. If you are wondering why Mr Keppler is 9 months waiting it may be because he too is a professional hatter. All the hatters I know of in the USA that do any Western hats as their main stay are at least 6 weeks to 6 months in a rears. We regularly stay 3- 6 weeks behind our selves. There is a huge difference in a hat that is preblocked and full of stiffener and a hat that is custom made to fit your exact head shape and size and not any one else's.

I hope this may answer some of the concerns about hats and differences and not stir up a bundle of problems .

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Welcome back, gladhatter.

<small>Please Ren, don't start again.</small>

Thank You for the Welcome VP. Along with your request for civility.

Assuming that Sir_Winston will be reading this as well I wanted to address his concerns:

I was wondering what is about an average or good price for a fedora... on the whole.

I think the fairness or goodness of price depends greatly on the need or want and type of hat that fills that desire of yours.

I understand that hats direct offers their mule tough hats for around 100-125.00 USD and that is certainly a good price for a hat. how ever you ask about a good price for a Fedora. While an IJ hat certainly is in the Fedora category as is most any hat now a days due to the lose definition of a Fedora that was established 100's of years ago and has evolved as so many things.

I think if you are seeking a very good Fedora that is commercially produced then you may expect to pay from about 150- 250.00 for it. If you are seeking a custom creation that is specific to your every need and desire and is built to fit a mold that is made in advance of the hat that is a replica of your exact head shape and you want the materials in the hat to be of a superior grade to what you will find in any commercially produced hat and meet the rigorous specification of even the US Military, then you can still find this type of hat in shame shops for around the 200.00 dollar mark. I know we offer hats like this with a life time guarantee attached to them. On the other hand if you are looking for the ultimate hat in a sterling beaver made from the very select belly hair from the beaver that is converted to fur felt then you will usually pay 500-1000 or more dollars for such a hat with full amenities and all the customer care that will go into it.

My suggestion is that people with less needs get a less hat and people with a refined learning of superlative hats that also have budget to support their desires may seek to commission such bespoke creations that are specific to them and learn to lavish in the pampering you may well learn to love.

We have supplied both the inexpensive wool and fur felt official Indiana Jones hats on up to what folks that never watched the move call an IJ hat right on up to hats that fans of 14 years experience of seeking the perfect hat,have actually discontinued their search from and began to live the rest of their lives as they fell we have produced the hat they always sought.

What is a fair or good price? Well for one fan I know it was 13 years of searching and 1 year of anticipation and he would swear that it could not be counted in money. For us as professional hatters our fairness is counted at about 5 dollars an hour if you count he minutes we put into every hat we create.

Some things in life are not counted in coins but counted in love of what you do or what you want. When if comes to basing items of love on a monetary basis then surly the least expensive may well be the best.

007 said:
If this was aimed at me..... I feel like I need to say that I have no confidence in bashing a hat whatsoever, let alone cutting it and sanding the sides and what not as described in that tutorial to get the Akubra to match Indy's hat. I would, in all honesty, prolly screw it up and there goes a $100 down the crapper. For an extra $40 I can get one that looks perfect and not worry about ruining the hat. So, I think I can wait for it to arrive.......

007, I understnd your concerns 100% . We have some customers that would not have hat that is styled and others that insist on a styled hat and others yet that go to great lengths to get us to make them a hat and yet have a seasoned Indy fan to style them.

It is just as easy for a seasoned hatter that has blocked a few million hats to say a person that sends a hat of to a pro to be blocked is too lazy to do it.

Not every one has the same skills or inclinations or desires. While I prefer to write my own post , I probably could be a member in good standing on many forums, had I got an eloquent speech writer to make post for me. Fact is I am just a hillbilly hatter that may excel in the area of making a beautiful hat and yet fail so miserably on my writing skills that I actually inflame folks to hate me for it.

I am more than confident that where you choose a hat that is bashed or choose to get one that is not is as personal a privilege as wearing boxers or briefs and one only you can make and should be able to make without ridicule.

Molorom

if whipmakers were paid per hour then everyone would be making a LOT less then minimum wage. I highly doubt that you spend 555$ worth of time on one hat. Why is it that Steve is able to offer such a quality hat at such low prices and you offer a hat of equal quality for 500$ or more. Ive reblocked a few hats and have tried to re"ferbish" a vintage one using the same processes to make the hats. I think that in the end if all customers made the hats for them selves that they would be saving a bundle. your hat materials only cost you 125$ why are you charging about 380$ for your time? you spend 10 days on 1 hat? how much of that time are you actually touching it? I have spent 2 days straight without sleeping to get a whip perfectly made. And after that its not even done. i still have 8 days to go after that. And i work constantly. I highly doubt that it takes 10 days. i only sell my whips for 145$ because my materials only cost me 60$. Why would anyone want to buy your hat if they can get one cheaper for the same quality, and it holds up like a tank? It just doesnt make sense, why people would strive for cost instead of practicality. Please dont attack me for this gladdhatter. Im just stating my own thoughts and want to remain civil. I dont want to get into a heated fight. I just want to know why pick your hats over someone alses.
Kindest Regards
Adam

if whipmakers were paid per hour then everyone would be making a LOT less then minimum wage. I highly doubt that you spend 555$ worth of time on one hat. I amnot sure how you calculate my time.

Why is it that Steve is able to offer such a quality hat at such low prices and you offer a hat of equal quality for 500$ or more.

That would be a good question for Steve. It certainly is a question he would have to answer as I have no intention of answering for him. I think I may know the answer but do not think it proper for me to answer for my friend. I think if you were to talk to Steve privatly you mayfind some of your answers you seek and possibly learn abot more about me as well.

Ive reblocked a few hats and have tried to re"ferbish" a vintage one using the same processes to make the hats. I am sure there are many processes to make hats and having made them for 30 years I continue to learn new processes all the time but find the old ones serve me best.

I think that in the end if all customers made the hats for them selves that they would be saving a bundle.

Could not agree with you more as the majoirity of hats I have seen are made from 8-12 dollar hat bodies.

your hat materials only cost you 125$ why are you charging about 380$ for your time?
I am not sure whee you get mymaterial cost from but mysterling beaver bodies and hat materials cost just over 425.00 for a hat.

you spend 10 days on 1 hat? how much of that time are you actually touching it? Each hat differs in time required touching it. Much depends on the customers needs or wants. I often times will spend 20 or more hours pouncing a single hat body. Probably a simple hat will require an additional 20 hours of finishing time maybe 15 hours on some. A complex hat may take 50 hours additional time.

I have spent 2 days straight without sleeping to get a whip perfectly made. And after that its not even done. i still have 8 days to go after that. And i work constantly. I highly doubt that it takes 10 days. i only sell my whips for 145$ because my materials only cost me 60$. Why would anyone want to buy your hat if they can get one cheaper for the same quality, and it holds up like a tank?

I am lost here now if you are comparing whips to hats in general your whips to my hats or what youare asking or if you are just trying to compare something to somehthing else.

It just doesnt make sense, why people would strive for cost instead of practicality.

Practicality is a good thing but little of in in america do you not agree. I am sure it would be hard to convince a starving man that a whip is a practical thing to own unless you lived when I did and found you need a whip to keep stubborn mules ploughing th ground or pulling giant mature timber from forrest

Please dont attack me for this gladdhatter. Im just stating my own thoughts and want to remain civil. I dont want to get into a heated fight. I just want to know why pick your hats over someone alses.

Heavens I have no intention of attacking you and I do not reccomend you pick my hats over anothers hats. in fact I have only reccomended you pick Steve Delks hats at all. I fell very comfortable saying that Steve can surly make a hat that pleases you well and I wholly support him in his hat endeavor and wish him the very best and suggest all may give him a try and buy his hats. I am sorry you have misunderstood my intent . I cmae here to talk and not sell hats. thee are plenty of heads to cover all over the world . We hope to cover any head that comes to us to buy a hat but we do not sell hats on chat forums. We sell hats direct to a customer wwhen they contact us to purchase one we try our best to educate them on our hats and find thier needs and sell them the least expensive solution for thier needs.

You have asked me to not attack and I hoe you do not preceive my words as any attact. I will now ask you to consider your words. you have stated bluntlythat you think I am lying about taking 10 days to make hat. You have stated my cost of materils for my hats. I really ask you to think about how bold you are making statments you cnanot possibley know and trying to support them with your knowledge of making whips.

No attack here but using your logic a person making widgets in China could say that GM should sell all cars for 10 cents each because they only spend 1 cent on a widget and only 1 second making it so a car cannot cost but 10 dollars and cannot take more than 5 minutes to make.

Kindest Regards
Adam

Adam you are very kind to inquire about making a hat and to challage me on my skills, methods, time, cost or any thing else is a bit short sighted. I make custom hand made hats of highest quality materials and I use antique tools and methods. I occassionally take on a student and help thiem learn basic hat making and then continue with them as they grow in the business. I am sure you may well know of at least one of the people I have choosen to help.

Thank you for inquiring but I really just came here to talk not to give training nor justify my business practice. Finally I have never found it practical for a single person to make verymany quality hats so I do not do all the touching of a hat as often there is 2 touching it at once in many stages of it. there are also several that touch one of our hats before it is released. I just completed a fairly simple hat yesterday that took nine days. It also took 47 emails and much touching. now it will take about 2 more hours of fluffing up final setting of stlye, packaging properly and then shipping out .

The final email was in part: Wow! The hat looks gorgeous, I can tell by the photos that it really is a blue navy, not a dark navy. The brim looks great at 3 inches, and the ribbon is perfect. It certainly looks like the hat I wanted and could not find. (Or, when I did find something close to it, it was the wrong size.)

Molorom

Gladhatter,
thanks for taking your time to type up a long response for me. I highly appericate it. I was not comparing whips to excatly hats, directly, i was saying they are kind of in the same level of how they are sold, such as the hides cost very little but are expensive because of the stressing time it takes. I am just trying to ask more questions because i want to learn more about what this craft is a all about. I should not have been questioning your prices as i know all about the price of hat bodys. Me and steve talked about it a bit a while ago. I would never directly compare a hat to a whip as they are not the same. That would just be stupid. Thanks for the explination. I guess ive just had a faulty impression of you because of the way you have reacted to other forum members in the past.
thanks,
Adam