New article on European books at official site

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
(Resurrected from the archives! Great article.)

Research Begins in the Library
May 22, 2006
Collecting Indy Books from Europe
by Les David
If our favorite archeologist should be a learned scholar, it only makes sense that his adventures would inevitably be chronicled in books. From his earliest adventures as a child to his continuing predicaments after The Last Crusade, the 'expanded universe' of Indiana Jones is larger and more diverse than most people realize.
North American readers are familiar with the popular RL Stine "Find Your Fate" series, the original Bantam novels by Rob McGregor, Max McCoy and Martin Caidin, adaptations of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and the original young reader Young Indiana Jones series from Random House. These very popular books have been translated into many languages including German, Dutch, Hebrew, French, Polish, Japanese, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, and Italian. But what about the books from across the ocean that were never in English to start with?

Germany: 1990-94
In the early '90s Wolfgang Hohlbein wrote eight original Indiana Jones books. The novels are not connected to each other but the stories are all set after the three films. Hohlbein is a very popular German-language science fiction, fantasy, and young adult novel author. To date he and his wife have written over 200 books with sales in excess of one million.
Indiana Jones und die Gefiederte Schlange (Indiana Jones and the Feathered Serpent), 1990 -- Indiana Jones travels to South America looking for an American geologist who's gone missing. Locating him in a tiny village at the foot of the Andes that's surrounded by strange natives, the geologist gives Indy a golden talisman -- the Feathered Serpent -- before dying from illness. Indy learns that the Feathered Serpent belongs to the Mayan High Priest, and is reputed to bestow its owner with tremendous magical powers. On the run from a hostile tribe who wants the talisman back, Indy must escape before the natives -- or the talisman -- do him in!
Indiana Jones und das Schiff der Gotter (Indiana Jones and the Longship of the Gods), 1990 -- In 1939, somewhere off the coast of Greenland, an American research vessel discovers an enormous iceberg inhabited by an obsessive Dr. van Hesling, who believes the ancient ship of the Gods to be buried beneath the ice. Months later, an international research team led by Indiana Jones returns to the giant iceberg, named Odinsland, to uncover its secrets locked within.
Indiana Jones und das Gold von El Dorado (Indiana Jones and the Gold of El Dorado), 1991 -- Professor Korda, a friend and colleague of Indiana Jones, finds himself caught in a violent storm over the Bolivian rainforest. Forced to make an emergency landing, he makes a sensational discovery -- a meteorite crater that appears to be covered in pure gold! When Indiana Jones is called for help, the archaeologist-adventurer will discover that Korda has actually stumbled upon the legendary gold treasure of El Dorado! But with this legend comes a curse...
Indiana Jones und das Schwert des Dschingis Khan (Indiana Jones and the Sword of Genghis Kahn), 1991 -- Washington, Russian embassy: The beautiful Soviet commissioner Tamara Jaglova invites Indiana Jones to take part in an expedition to Outer Mongolia, where the legendary Sword of Kahn is being sought out in the hopes of restoring the Mongolian Empire to its former glory. Indy must compete with rivals from Russia, China, Germany and Japan in a race to find the sword that will span several continents.
Indiana Jones und das Verschwundene Volk (Indiana Jones and the Lost People), 1991 -- In Chicago of yesteryear, one must be prepared for anything. Killers and thugs are around every sleazy corner. It's no wonder then that Indiana Jones finds himself in cement overshoes shortly after colleague Professor Petryk makes a sensational discovery. A young Mormon, Zach, wants to sell Indy an old clay disk which belonged to the vanished culture of the Anasazi Indians. Fleeing from Chicago's criminal underground, Indiana Jones and his friends get caught up in an adventure of unexpected proportions within an ancient city of the legendary culture.
Indiana Jones und das Geheimnis der Osterinseln (Indiana Jones and the Secret of Easter Island), 1992 -- While in Washington, Indiana Jones is asked by a certain Mr. Franklin and Mr. Delano to take an expedition to Easter Island -- an expedition, Indy suspects, that won't be a pleasant research trip. There's something odd about Franklin and Delano -- they simply grin too much. One of their agents on the trail of German conspirators has gone missing and Indiana Jones needs to find him. His search starts on the atoll Pau-Pau, but this tropical isle is deceiving -- Polynesia may be a hell decorated with flowers on this suicidal mission.
Indiana Jones und das Labyrinth des Horus (Indiana Jones and the Labyrinth of Horus), 1993 -- Indiana Jones is a man who does not forget. Sixteen years ago, Professor Basil Smith saved his life, and now its Indy's chance to repay the debt. Receiving a wire from Smith in Istanbul, Indy quickly makes the trip to Turkey but arrives to find the professor missing. With clues leading him to Egypt, Indiana Jones meets an ancient, cruel force in the shadows of the pyramids that has waited for millennia to be released.
Indiana Jones und das Erbe von Avalon (Indiana Jones and the Avalon Inheritance), 1994 -- Odd coincidences abound: Near England's coast a submarine is rammed by an incredibly ancient boat. Near Liverpool a man is found who speaks a bizarre unknown language. And near Ghent, a Belgian and a German are studying a mysterious castle from the Middle Ages. It's 1940, and Indiana Jones is on the run from a Nazi henchman and a young Belgian resistance fighter -- until he discovers that these strange occurrences are all related to the sword Excalibur, the legendary sword of Arthur Pendragon, fabled King of Britain.
These eight novels have a pulp '50s paperback writing style that fits the Indy world setting very well. Most German speaking readers rank the Holbein books better than the US novels. They have only been translated into one other language -- Dutch.

Two other German non-fiction originals of interest are:
Das grosse Buch uber Harrison Ford und Indiana Jones (The Big Book About Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones) by Claudius von Zolkov. Published in 1989 by Edel. 98 pages, with lots of pictures, some in color. This book came out right after The Last Crusade and tells the story behind the making of the three films. It's an original researched book, not a compilation of previously published material.
Die Abenteuer des Jungen Indiana Jones (Young Indiana Jones Chronicles) by Elisabeth Blay. Published in 1993 by Heyne. 128 pages, with lots of color pictures. This is a tiny mini-book with info about the Young Indy television series. Ten chapters cover topics like "before the world discovers him, he discovers the world", notes from the TV series Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, and specific episodes like "The Mummy's Curse ", "The Curse of the Jackal", "Mata Hari", "The River of Death", "The Secret Peace" and "Revolution!"

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
France: 1997-99
Jerome Jacobs & Richard Beugne are French authors who originally translated the Young Indiana Jones novels from English to French. Jerome also contributed four original Young Indiana Jones novels himself. Richard Beugne picked up the whip and fedora and added three more original young adult novels about Indy's early adventures. No original French Indy novel has been translated into English.
Indiana Jones Jr et le Fantome du Klondike (Young Indiana Jones and the Phantom of the Klondike) by Jerome Jacobs, 1997 -- Fifteen years after the gold rush, Indy launches out to explore the Far North in search of a famous lost treasure. Along the way, he meets up with exotic characters such as celebrated writer Jack London, a fearful gold digger, a mad Manitou and... a famished bear! Will the young adventurer survive this expedition with all its dangers?
Indiana Jones Jr et l'Ampoule Radioactive (Young Indiana Jones and the Radioactive Ampoule) by Richard Beugne, 1997 -- Paris, November 1912: Radium has been stolen from the Marie Curie Institute! Is there a connection between this and the strange message that Indy discovered in the Parisian catacombs?
Indiana Jones Jr et le Violon du Metropolitain (Young Indiana Jones and the Violin of the Metropolitan Museum) by Jerome Jacobs, 1997 -- School has started again, but it seems Indiana will be missing some classes. An enthralling adventure takes him from New York's Metropolitan Museum to Niagara Falls, made all the more interesting by the search for a rare and valuable Stradivarius violin which catches the interest of several dangerous individuals. Indy and his friends will need to know how to stay afloat in the troubled waters of the Italian Mafia.
Indiana Jones Jr et le Triangle des Bermudes (Young Indiana Jones and the Bermuda Triangle) by Jerome Jacobs, 1998 -- The first crossing of the Florida straits in a seaplane! Indy isn't about to let this chance pass him by. Although his father, Professor Henry Jones, opposes such madness, the young adventurer accepts the proposal of Woodrow Smith, and is set on making the flight. On a clear morning, the plane takes off without any problems. But once above the Bermuda Triangle, the aircraft disappears into the fog...
Indiana Jones Jr et l'Enfant Lama (Young Indiana Jones and the Child Lama) by Richard Beugne, 1998 -- August, 1913 in the Himalayas: In the monastery of Tsadong, an atmosphere of tension and distress reigns: Dentsen, the child Lama, is removed and sequestered against his will. To release his friend, Indy will face unseen foes which the Buddhist monks call Demons.
Indiana Jones Jr et le Spectre de Venise (Young Indiana Jones and the Spectre of Venice) by Jerome Jacobs, 1998 -- Venice is threatened! Not by water, as one might guess, but by a dangerous villain whose goal is to dominate the world. His prime objective: to detonate several bombs placed around the city. In a maze of tunnels and lanes, on the Rialto Bridge and in the Venice theatre, Indy will have to do his best to stop this fatal madness.
Indiana Jones Jr et la Meteorite Sacree (Young Indiana Jones and the Holy Meteorite) by Richard Beugne, 1999 -- To appease the spirits of the ice-barrier, Indy must carry an otherworldly black stone to the Holy mountain -- a heavy responsibility, made all the more dangerous by a hunter who is ready to do anything to steal the precious meteorite for himself!

Spain: 1989
La Cazadora de Indiana Jones ( The Search for Indiana Jones) by Asun Balzola, 1989 -- This 112-page book is about a girl who finds Indiana Jones' original leather jacket and her adventures that follow. It is a very famous book for children in Catalonia and a recommended read in Spanish schools.

Exploring the "expanded universe" of Indiana Jones is a great way to enrich and enhance your enjoyment of collecting Indy memorabilia. While thousands of items exist, it's the novels that flesh-out Indy into a three-dimensional character, and allow us to live a life we can only dream of -- through the help of a well stocked library!
Les David has been an avid collector of Indiana Jones since 1981 and runs the popular collecting site throwmetheidol.com. Special thanks to Sascha Krasny (of Austria), who runs the popular resource site.

Lao_Che

Die Abenteuer des Jungen Indiana Jones (Young Indiana Jones Chronicles)

Doesn't that translate to The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones? :confused:

La Cazadora de Indiana Jones ( The Search for Indiana Jones) by Asun Balzola, 1989 -- This 112-page book is about a girl who finds Indiana Jones' original leather jacket and her adventures that follow. It is a very famous book for children in Catalonia and a recommended read in Spanish schools.

That's interesting, I'd been wondering if someone would ever do a story in the IJ universe without Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Junior Jones

I knew about Hohlbein's German novels, but the French Young Indy books are new to me.

Does anyone have them? Has anyone read them? I took French in college (though I'm way out of practice) and I'd consider tracking these down if they're not completely ridiculous and a waste of time.

fommes

Moedred said:
These eight novels have a pulp '50s paperback writing style that fits the Indy world setting very well. Most German speaking readers rank the Holbein books better than the US novels. They have only been translated into one other language -- Dutch.
I've never realized that these books were so 'rare'. I've read them all fifteen years ago (in Dutch) and they're locked in a cupboard somewhere. I remember liking them (especially the one about El Dorado and the one about the Labyrinth of Horus). MacGregor's novels were more accessible for young readers I remember (though I wouldn't say 'better', I couldn't make that judgment after all those years).

walker

french young indy

I have the Frnch young Indy novels. They're pretty good. I actually prefer them to the US young indy novels. I had a hard time finding them though. If you want them try www.abebook.com.

Stoo

throwmetheidol said:
Please check ouy my newest article on the Indy books from Europe. It is a collaboration between myself and Sascha Krasny (Indiana Jones Chronicles).

Thanks and hope you all enjoy the article!
Do you (or anyone else) have a direct link to the article? The one you posted took me to the main page and I can't find your article anywhere.

Thanks for those posts, Moedred. Tons of great information!

Any luck in finding the books, Junior? You can see pictures of a few of the covers, here:
http://www.theraider.net/information/books/young_french.php
I've been looking for these for awhile now and if I ever find some, will take a stab at translating them.

Stoo

Thanks a lot, Moedred! I didn't realize the original post is 2 years old.
The images for the French and Spanish books don't show up anymore
(which is unfortunate) but thanks again all the same.:hat:

"Violin of the Metropolitan Museum" sounds interesting because of the
Niagara Falls location. Would love to get my hands on these some day...

Junior Jones

Crack that whip said:
Royalty check? How interesting - royalties on what, if you don't mind my asking?

My day job is accounting, so I like to exercise my creative side by writing. Besides my Indy fanfiction, I wrote a play which was published a few years ago. It's a comedy/mystery set in 1912 and if you read the description you'll recognize my influences.

TalonCard

Nice! I should get into the play-writing business so I can buy more Indy stuff... ;)

Have you ever seen your play performed before?

TC

Junior Jones

I wrote it for a local high school and it took two years of frustration. But I was involved in the production and (besides getting married and having kids) that was the best day of my life. It's so cool to see something you've created taking place before your eyes.

I haven't seen it performed since it was published, though. I Google it regularly and have seen pictures online of some performances, but none of them have been near enough to where I live. Someday, though.

Plaristes

Junior Jones said:
I got my money, and I've been looking for these online with no luck. If anyone could offer help or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I just looked for them, too, and couldn't find any English-language sites that sell them. I think this French-language site lists them for sale, but I don't read French and so am not sure.

Stoo

Stoo said:
"Violin of the Metropolitan Museum" sounds interesting because of the
Niagara Falls location. Would love to get my hands on these some day...
Well, I finally got my hands on this title thanks to the generosity of Mr. DIrishB. Considering Icybro has already tackled "Fantôme du Klondike", once I finish translating "Violon" we'll have 2 of the 7 French tales in English.(y)