NHL Hockey

From the wall Street Journal

Ask New Yorkers to name the greatest local sportsman of the current generation and they'll inevitably put Derek Jeter's name at, or at least near, the top of the list.

But by numbers alone, the charismatic Yankee captain isn't the greatest New York-area athlete of his generation. That honor belongs to a guy who probably wouldn't even be recognized if he showed up at Le Cirque in full pads: New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur.

These two athletes' careers are nearly identical. Each was named rookie of the year in his first season, has played more than a decade for the same team and has made the playoffs in every year but one. Mr. Brodeur started his career in 1992 and has won three titles, an Olympic gold medal and four Vezina trophies -- the award given to the NHL's best goalie. Mr. Jeter joined the Yankees in 1995 and has won four titles, a World Series MVP and three Gold Gloves:rolleyes: .

Where the goalie separates himself from the shortstop is in his assault on the NHL record book. Mr. Brodeur is on pace to break nearly every significant goalie mark, including Patrick Roy's 551 regular-season wins, which should fall within days. Mr. Jeter doesn't own any record that momentous -- it would take him about nine seasons to beat Pete Rose's record of 4,256 hits -- and his many postseason records can be explained away by baseball's expanded playoff format.

indifan101

2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

So my friends we begin yet another chapter in a sport where it's championship trophy is the most sought after of all. Since it's introduction of the championship trophy of the National Hockey League back in 1893 purchased by Lord Stanley of Preston, Victoria the Stanley Cup has been the ideal dream, the driven purpose of any professional hockey player's career. Every player in the game dreams about raising it in view of twenty one thousand screaming fans, skating with it around the rink, kissing the metallic surface of all it's glory, and sharing a drink from the brim of it's cup touching their lips where so many other ledgends and heroes have done before. Names like Orr, Richard, Howe, Dryden, Trotier, Gretzky, Lemeiux, Sawchuck, Broda, Hull, Clarke, Messier, Roy, Yzerman, Brodeur, Modano, Sacic, Borque, Hasek and Bossy have all shared their taste of victory from it's gleeming bowl. But now this season begins a new page in the trophy's history. Since their inaugural season in 2000-2001, the Columbus Blue Jackets have achieved their first ever playoff appearance in their franchise. However to prove their worth they must start their series against a team that's no stranger to playoff and championship hockey. The defending Stanley Cup Champions Detroit Red Wings who have now made the playoffs fourty five times in their history with eleven stanley cup championships in their franchise. Four in the last ten years including back to back wins in 1997 and 1998. The Montreal Canadians and Boston Bruins meet eachother in a classic Original Six series for the first time since 1977 where the Canadians defeated the Bruins in a six game series to win their 21st stanley cup championship. The Chicago Blackhawks have redeemed their honor and captured the fourth seed to face the calgary flames. The Blackhawks currently still have the NHL record for second longest championship drought which began after their last stanley cup victory back in 1961. The state of Pennsylvania finds itself locked once again in the battle of the cities. The defending Eastern Conference Champions Pittsburgh Penguins will face off against their brother to the east the Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers have not watched the their team raise the cup since 1974 defeating the Buffalo Sabers in six games. After the quarterfinals end eight total will remain, after the semifinals end four total will remain after the conference finals end two total will remain and after the finals are over only one will remain. Only one team will take home the stanley cup the question is when its all said and done, who will that team be?

Stoo

Not to mention spelling!:p Montreal Canadiens, Buffalo Sabres, Trottier, Lemieux, Sakic, etc.

Who's going to take the cup? Why the HABS, of course! Montreal vs. Boston, OMG, this is going to be nasty! Here's the Bruins doing what they do best:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q8K7roZu3WU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q8K7roZu3WU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Let's hope Boston can turn The NHL's most popular player and Lady Bing candidate Sean Avery into a bag of skin holding powdered bones!

Anyone want to put money on him not making it out of the first round?
5 will get you 10!

What are the odds in Vegas he finished his season in the hospital like last year?:dead:

DocWhiskey

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Hockey is the sport of mullets, am I right?

Nah. Nascar is more "mullet" than hockey. That is, if you call making a high speed left turn for 2 hours a sport.

Goonie

I held Stanley over my head about six years ago. I should dig out a photo. I didn't win it:rolleyes: , but I know someone who has won it four times.

00Kevin

Indyfan
i recently visited family in Columbus and went to my first NHL game! my mom got me all excited and then the blue jackets made the playoffs for the first time! now i'm all interested in following it

Stoo

Hey, 00Kevin, that's great to hear and I hope Columbus does well because...

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Hockey is the sport of mullets, am I right?
No. This should be truncated to: "Hockey is THE sport." Period.

Goonie said:
I held Stanley over my head about six years ago. I should dig out a photo. I didn't win it , but I know someone who has won it four times.
Hmm...Who would that be?;) I've met a few legends (Lafleur, Orr, Dickie Moore) but, like you, I know a Stanley Cup champ (my "brother-in-law" drank champagne from the cup...lucky dog!) Plus a relative of mine was a semi-notorius Bruin!

Stoo

Finn said:
No hope against the Red Wings, it appears.
Eeesh. Yes, that is true. Good luck, Blue Jackets!:eek:

Goonie said:
I held Stanley over my head about six years ago. I should dig out a photo. I didn't win it , but I know someone who has won it four times.
O.K. It must be an Edmonton Oiler from the '80s. The question is which one? Messier? Fuhr? McSorley? or even...The Great One? (BTW, Kevin Lowe's family has a home-made ice-cream place north of Montreal and they have photos of Stanley sitting right on the counter. They are very proud and make delicious ice-cream!)

I've also met Manon Rhéaume, the only woman to ever play in the NHL (she played some pre-season games for Tampa Bay Lightning in the early '90s).

Nurhachi1991 said:
Ducks all the way
Yeah, it looks like good odds for the Ducks.

Finn

Staff member
Believe it or not, but I've played croquet with someone who's won five SCs...

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Ha ha. Really? Hmm...Selanne? Kurri, maybe?:confused:
Esa Tikkanen.

The options were scarce to begin with, since he and Kurri are the only Finns with five. Teemu still has a few cups to take before he can reach those numbers.

Stoo

Cool! So, did you beat him in the croquet game?:D (Yeah, Teemu was the 1st Finn that popped into my head.)