Handbook: The Complete Adventurers Guide

Perhilion

lol that'd be a great gag, Dovechenko tries to punch out Indy and ends up smacking himself in the face and off the sled!

DocWhiskey

Has anybody found this handbook in a bookstore? I was going to order it online along with the Lost Journal when it's released but it sounds really cool.

metalinvader

ResidentAlien said:
Anyways, could you scan the "alien" page? I'd be interested in seeing what it specifically says...

I don't have a scanner but I'd be more than willing to type it out.......

The number of academics who believe in the existence of extraterrestrials is surprisingly large,despite the the evidence for such beings is equivocal.Mathematically speaking,life on planets beyond ours is not impossible.What is hard to rationalize-or justify mathematically-is that such life is (a) intelligent,(b) living at a time concurent to our own,and (c) capable of constructing spacecraft capable of traveling from distant galaxies to Earth.Yet for all these uncertainties,Scientist would not be scientist if they did not ask the question,What if?Certainly,it is worth keeping an open mind about the possibility of other dimensions when working in the field.Indeed,many cultures,including our own,embrace and promulgate fascinating bits of folklore surrounding the explanation of unusual phenomena that should definitely be investigated by willing researchers. But if you are ever confronted with beings from other dimensions,it may be smart to do as Indy did and get the heck out of there.As fascinating as aliens may be,you don't want to end up an artifact in another species' meseum.

Perhilion

ResidentAlien said:
That seems to suggest not aliens, but inter-dimensional beings... Sorta the Infernal Machine route?

Either way, I dislike the concept.
When you think about it, if handled correctly, it would be no worse than the ghosts in Raider. Just so long as Indy doesn't cross dimensions, it's basically the same thing.

I've stuck to my guns on the Oh, please, not aliens argument. Aliens are at least tangible whereas the spooks at the Raiders finale weren't.
I really don't see the problem.

Deckard

"But if you are ever confronted with beings from other dimensions,it may be smart to do as Indy did and get the heck out of there.As fascinating as aliens may be,you don't want to end up an artifact in another species' meseum. "

Sure sounds like that confirms living, breathing aliens. And apparently not friendly, close encounters, hand holding aliens. Indy runs from aliens? Hmm...

xVendetta17x

I'm sure all the anti-alien hype will dissapear once everyone sees the film
The more I see of the film the more I'm beginning to believe how they're going to pull it off

bergstrom

xVendetta17x said:
Haha, really?
I've never seen Starman before

A great film with an ending that begged for a sequel, one which was written (unsolicited by irish screenwriter Brad Hansen). never went anywhere though. Even Jeff Bridges suggested a story.

Berg

Adamwankenobi

Deckard said:
"But if you are ever confronted with beings from other dimensions,it may be smart to do as Indy did and get the heck out of there.As fascinating as aliens may be,you don't want to end up an artifact in another species' meseum. "

Sure sounds like that confirms living, breathing aliens. And apparently not friendly, close encounters, hand holding aliens. Indy runs from aliens? Hmm...

Maybe he runs because they come as a surprise and just scare the **** out of him; I picture him running through the Akator temple near the climax of the film, after having dealt of with death-defying traps one-after-another, and then suddenly he stops. We see a close-up of his horrified face, and as he runs away, we see three aliens sitting on a throne (as was described by several movie sites a while back). :eek:

donufro

I'm far more concerned about the refrigerator than anything involving aliens. Do you realize if that makes the movie, it will become fodder for every smart aleck who criticizes a movie's logic?

"That's as bad as using a refrigerator to survive a nuclear blast!"

It's just the sort of stupid thing that could hurt the movie. I can't imagine out of all the people involved, especially Ford (who suggested 'why don't I just shoot the son of a b*tch', that they would consider that idea anywhere near decent.

Now, if the bomb wasn't atomic, I could see the refrigerator having SOME plausability, as long as he was far enough away. Also, if they're trying to tie in real history (Roswell) with the story, wouldn't they also need some sort of historical reference for an atomic bomb detonation in 1950s New Mexico? But there isn't one, that I know of. So it gives me hope that it's not an atom bomb, just a conventional one. I could handle that.

Last edited:

donufro

Darth Vile said:
That said, I?m quite happy to see Indiana Jones cross over into ?X-Files? territory (assuming it?s done well and it doesn?t invalidate what went on in the other movies).

If you think about it, the other three movies invalidate each other. Raiders deals with the Hebrew God and suggests omnipotence, TOD deals with Hindu and the power that exists, thus challenging the Hebrew God's omnipotence in the first place, and the Last Crusade invalidates them both because it deals with the Christian God. It's the same as the Hebrew God, yes, but Jewish people don't believe in Jesus' divinity, so if the Hebrew God is the true one, then Jesus can't be divine.

So they're already invalidated. :)

Bring on the ETs!

What is all this refrigerator business? It's absurd! It sounds like something that Mel Brooks would consider. If hiding in a refrigerator protects you from an atomic blast then I guess everyone with a fridge survives an atomic attack. It's crazy. What's next? Mass underground refrigerators?

|ZiR|

donufro said:
If you think about it, the other three movies invalidate each other. Raiders deals with the Hebrew God and suggests omnipotence, TOD deals with Hindu and the power that exists, thus challenging the Hebrew God's omnipotence in the first place, and the Last Crusade invalidates them both because it deals with the Christian God. It's the same as the Hebrew God, yes, but Jewish people don't believe in Jesus' divinity, so if the Hebrew God is the true one, then Jesus can't be divine.

So they're already invalidated. :)

How dare you bring your logic in here!!

herr gruber said:
What is all this refrigerator business? It's absurd! It sounds like something that Mel Brooks would consider. If hiding in a refrigerator protects you from an atomic blast then I guess everyone with a fridge survives an atomic attack. It's crazy. What's next? Mass underground refrigerators?

It's all about the context. If the refrigerator is anywhere near the blast it'll be pretty ridiculous, yeah. But we still don't know the full story (i.e. where the fridge is in relation to the blast site.) I think hiding in a fridge is a neat, if implausible, idea. Very IJ.