TOD - my alternate ending

Wu_Han

I was just reading Peril at Delphi and it hit me.

At the end of Temple of Doom when Indy and Mola Ram are hanging on the very end of the bridge struggling over the stones, wouldn't it be much more dramatic if they both fell but Indy snagged the last wrung with his whip? It would really intensify the drama and it would be awesome to see him flick the whip midair. :whip:

deckard24

indycast said:

At the end of Temple of Doom when Indy and Mola Ram are hanging on the very end of the bridge struggling over the stones, wouldn't it be much more dramatic if they both fell but Indy snagged the last wrung with his whip? It would really intensify the drama and it would be awesome to see him flick the whip midair. :whip:
It would've been pretty spectacular if that's how it went down. Not to mention, to see Indy use the whip in such a way, would have at least explained that his whip abilities haven't just magically grown tenfold for KOTCS(as seen in the trailer)!

The_Raiders

Yeah, that would be much more exciting if it happened that way. Mabe when he latches on to the last rung with his whip, mola ram grabs his foot or something, and then, Indy kicks him in the head or something. :rolleyes:

Bjorn Heimdall

deckard24 said:
It would've been pretty spectacular if that's how it went down. Not to mention, to see Indy use the whip in such a way, would have at least explained that his whip abilities haven't just magically grown tenfold for KOTCS(as seen in the trailer)!

doing that would be considerably more difficult then anything shown in the KotCS trailer.

deckard24

Bjorn Heimdall said:
doing that would be considerably more difficult then anything shown in the KotCS trailer.
Yeah it would be almost impossible, but then again running at full speed, unhinging his whip, whipping the lamp post, and then swinging down into a moving jeep is pretty over-the-top(not to mention difficult!). I'm all for over-the-top, they're Indy movies after all. But still, I'd like to have seen him use his whip either more extensively and acrobatically in the earlier films, or not at all in any of the films including KOTCS. It just doesn't make sense that he's gained magical whip powers, 20 years after the last film took place.

No Ticket

deckard24 said:
Yeah it would be almost impossible, but then again running at full speed, unhinging his whip, whipping the lamp post, and then swinging down into a moving jeep is pretty over-the-top(not to mention difficult!). I'm all for over-the-top, they're Indy movies after all. But still, I'd like to have seen him use his whip either more extensively and acrobatically in the earlier films, or not at all in any of the films including KOTCS. It just doesn't make sense that he's gained magical whip powers, 20 years after the last film took place.

I don't think he's gained magical whip powers, haha. You can see him getting the whip out in the trailer as he is being shot at on the ground. I think he was in a hurry and just "went for it," and... well... it didn't really WORK. He almost made it. But at least the whip DID wrap around the lamp lol.

That being said, I think TOD would have been slightly cooler if Indy fell too and caught the last rung of the bridge... or well... next to last. But I mean, it was still pretty crazy. Mola Ram falls and grabs onto him and almost pulls him off.

Salacious

Yeah, I've never clearly understood how Mola Ram falls. Does the rock burn Mola's hand or something? Its a poorly edited scene IMO.

I agree, I think a scene of the last rock burning through Indy's pouch with both Mola and Indy reaching for the rock as they let go of the ladder. Indy grabs the rock and uses his whip or something to snag onto the bridge would be cool.

The existing scene was kinda like...wha? :confused:

Its not horrible, but not totally satisfying. But the whole bridge scene was still fantastic, which is why the existing scene didnt leave people that angry. I still think it could use improvement.

However, if they had to CGI it now to change it....no way. Leave it alone then.

IndySeven

indycast said:

I agree! That would've been awesome!:whip:

OmegaSeamaster

I think it went down the way it did because they needed a way to show the audience "the power" of the Shankara stones.

Part of the adventure formula is that the mystical artifact or treasure activates or turns on the greediest individuals that are pursuing it.

Mola Ram basically holds onto this stone that's frying his hand, which causes him to let go of the ladder in pain. Of course, he lets go of the ladder for no explicable reason...I mean, wouldn't you drop the hot stone instead?

It would have been better if, while his hand was burning, Indy used the distraction to stomp Mola's fingers one last time, sending him to his death.

No Ticket

OmegaSeamaster said:
I think it went down the way it did because they needed a way to show the audience "the power" of the Shankara stones.

Part of the adventure formula is that the mystical artifact or treasure activates or turns on the greediest individuals that are pursuing it.

Mola Ram basically holds onto this stone that's frying his hand, which causes him to let go of the ladder in pain. Of course, he lets go of the ladder for no explicable reason...I mean, wouldn't you drop the hot stone instead?

It would have been better if, while his hand was burning, Indy used the distraction to stomp Mola's fingers one last time, sending him to his death.

You make a good point. Same principle for Elsa at the end of LC. Indy let's it go. Elsa tries to hold on and the greed kills her. Wait a second, same thing for Raiders. Indy knows not to look but Belloq WANTS to see what's inside. His greed kills him in the end. I'm pretty sure if Belloq knew the ritual to opening the Ark, he would know about not looking at what was inside... as Indy certainly did.

Darth Vile

If I remember rightly from the TOD novel, the Shankara stone that burns Mola Ram actually awakens him from his "Black sleep of Kali Ma" (yes - he too was duped) and it's this confusion/awakening that causes his deathly fall..

OmegaSeamaster

Darth Vile said:
If I remember rightly from the TOD novel, the Shankara stone that burns Mola Ram actually awakens him from his "Black sleep of Kali Ma" (yes - he too was duped) and it's this confusion/awakening that causes his deathly fall..

That's kind of silly when you think about it. This guy wakes up from the black sleep of the Kali Ma, and just as he's about to go back to his normal life as a kind, honest person he plummets to his death and is consumed by crocodiles?

I'm free at last....HUH?....Arrrrgh....(head smacks cliff rocks)

I honesly believe that unlike the zombies of the Kali Ma, Mola Ram was an evil person to the core. If he was under some kind of spell he wouldn't have been so animated and conversational. I think he was the all-powerful high priest who had Hitler-esque ambitions and the best way to achieve them was to put everyone else under his spell.

Iandiana

OmegaSeamaster said:
I think he was the all-powerful high priest who had Hitler-esque ambitions and the best way to achieve them was to put everyone else under his spell.

What a vivid imagination.

Skipper

deckard24 said:
Oh, please. First of all, it's not "magic" for someone's whip skills to improve over a 20-year period. Granted, Indy's skills would have declined with age, but this "magical improvement" you're criticizing is that Indy now has the ability to use the whip while running, whereas in Raiders he could only yank a gun out of a man's hand, which is of course child's play.

Inbanana

Darth Vile said:
Maybe it was all Chattar Lal's fault... he had them all drugged with the blood of Kali, including Mola.;) Anyway, was Chattar Lal killed or did he possibly survive and escape...:confused:

OmegaSeamaster

Inbanana said:
Anyway, was Chattar Lal killed or did he possibly survive and escape...:confused:

Who knows? I think it's safe to say he got a full set of broken ribs before staggering off.

Probably got arrested by Captain Blumbertt, who tied him up, gagged him, and forced him to listen the grand tales of the British Empire on the way to a Calcutta prison. :D

Rayder

That ending would be kind of cool, and I am glad that we are going to see more use of the whip in KotCS, instead of it just being there mostly for looks as in the previous three films

Wu_Han

I don't think Mola Ram was duped or drugged. He kind of was responsible for the black sleep's creation or so it seems.

Maybe he reached to catch the stone with both hands and lost his blance or forgot he was on the ladder. :confused:

Chatter Lal survived, got old, then went back in time to 1916 to gusterschtalt.

;)

deckard24

Skipper said:
Oh, please. First of all, it's not "magic" for someone's whip skills to improve over a 20-year period. Granted, Indy's skills would have declined with age, but this "magical improvement" you're criticizing is that Indy now has the ability to use the whip while running, whereas in Raiders he could only yank a gun out of a man's hand, which is of course child's play.
Come on man! You can't tell me that based on the footage we've seen in the trailer, that as Indy's age has progressed so has his super acrobatic whip handling skills? Yeah he's always had a deadly eye with the whip, yanking hot pokers, pistols, and swords out of guys hands. Then there's been the occasional mildly acrobatic whip and swing from point a to b, all done in his late 30's (the character that is, not Ford who was 38, 42, and 47). Now in his late 50's he's pulling out cirque du soleil moves? At the end of the day I could care less, and I'll still be one of the first in line come May 22nd, but let's not ignore the obvious! I know I'm not the only one who saw the trailer, loved it, but thought wow Indy's waaayyyy more acrobatic then I ever remember in the original films. And he's 57(65)?