KotCS reviews in media

Darth Vile

Indeed yes... and Steven Mason's sources (who were at the same screening) state that KOTCS "falls short of Raiders, but it is far stronger than 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and on par with 1984's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". This seems to sum up most people's expectations.

The Man

Darth Vile said:
Indeed yes... and Steven Mason's sources (who were at the same screening) state that KOTCS "falls short of Raiders, but it is far stronger than 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and on par with 1984's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". This seems to sum up most people's expectations.

If it genuinely outstrips Doom and Crusade, that would make it pretty f**king special.

spiralout

Nevermind, I found it. The event takes place from 13:00 - 19:00. So for us on the US East Coast, that'll be 7:00 am - 1:00 pm. We won't have to wait long for reviews.

Agent Z

I love the fact that this blood has been thrown in the water for the sharks at Cannes over the one, most suspect review out of all those submitted.

Seriously, if people can't hate, they just can't do anything at all (n)

jasperjones

Yeah, the reporting on this sucks, but is entirely predictable. The knives are out, no doubt about it. There have been as many positive reviews as negative, FACT, and not one of these mainstream articles (apart from the Telegraph) has even hinted at this because it doesn't fit the story these guys want to run with. Their leading with the fact that the film has been panned by critics, yet not one professional critic (except perhaps Derek Flint - I'm not sure if he counts but he is a regular reviewer at AICN) has seen it or judged it. I love the fact that Shogunmaster is being hailed as an industry executive, when in all probability he is a theatre booker/ owner. His critique, while no doubt heartfelt, is childish (bringing in Lucas molestation digs is playground stuff and so passe it's ridiculous). The other negative review was not even that the film was terrible. The guy said that he didn't hate the film at all and felt that the film was unnecessary and fitted in right in with the others but didn't bring anything new to the franchise. One has accused it of being filled with non-stop, over the top set pieces, another that it feels like a drama. Which is it? The positive reviews on the other hand have tended to be well balanced and say that this is an Indy movie and fits right in with the others. That seems all that one can reasonably expect. An entertaining joy ride with a character I love. Bring it on.

Agent Z

jasperjones said:
I love the fact that Shogunmaster is being hailed as an industry executive, when in all probability he is a theatre booker/ owner.

...or a 16 yo with too much time on his/her hands....

I mean, that's how much we know, and yet, that is what gets taken at face value. Ridiculous.

Mutt Williams

Is this fake? If it's real, the reviews could be real. :confused:

DSC_0218.jpg

The Man

That letter states that the screenings took place on April 22nd, yet the AICN ahem, "reviews" didn't appear until May 4th. What took them so long if their hatred of the movie was so intense? I'll tell you why: because they didn't even know about the screenings until well after the lights went up.

jasperjones

I don't really see why people have a hard time believing the reviews are real. We know screenings have taken place. We know that there will be people who don't like it. My problem with the reporting of the situation is that 2/3 people people have seen it and voiced their negative opinions, 2/3 people have voiced positive opinions and the mainstream media is running with this as critics panning the Indiana Jones movie we were all dreading. Crazy. It may well suck, it may well be great but the media have already pre-emptively stuck a massive blow for the negative. It's predictable but all the same slightly depressing. You could easily spin positive articles/ stories from the positive reviews proclaiming the film a hit with critics but it would be just as unbalanced reporting.

I can see the reviews being mixed on this but the general public liking it. I just hope it's judged fairly.

The Man

sandiegojones said:
That letter is real. I've seen similar letters from Paramount at LACC when I went to film school there.

Nobody's disputing the letter's authenticity.

jasperjones

The things is this. If this was a loudmouth at the same screening as you who hated the movie, would you give a **** what he or she thought? No. The only opinion that matters is your own. What's annoying is the doom-mongers raining on the parade with glee. It's just sad. Lucas was right, at the end of the day, it is just a movie. 2 hours of escapism. It's not meant to win Oscars or critical acclaim, or be a compelling character study. It's an adventure about a whip-cracking, adventuring archaeologist based on cheesy pulp serials. That's how it should be judged!