I Don't Get The Knife Gag?!

Mickiana

The problem with the gag is that we hear something tear, concern is expressed and then we don't get to see what was sliced. Something must have been edited out that would explain this unfinished scene.

Nurhachi1991

Lol basicly the seen was Indy got mutts knife an he cut himself but mutt thought he cut a hole in his trousers hahaha. I diddnt get it at first but after awhile you get to love the gag! (y)

Athenee

What's the one other important thing to Indy and Mutt? (besides the hat and the bike)

|ZiR| said:
When I first saw it, I thought it was pretty clear that the knife sliced into Indy's hand when he pressed the switch.
I still believe it's that.
The tarp explanation doesn't gel because, as someone else said, Indy isn't leaning up against the tarp. The pants are plausible but why would Mutt say "oh sh!t..." over that?
If the blade sliced into Indy's hand, he'd have said something like "You got something for this?" when he got untied and Marion would have pulled out a huge men's handkerchief, and we'd see him wearing that for the rest of the movie (or until he lost it going down "three times it drops").

What's the most important thing to Indy and Mutt, besides the hat and the bike? Their leathers, silly! I always interpreted Mutt's "Oh, sh*t!" as Indy popping the blade open and accidentally cutting into his leather jacket.

...priorities, guys, get your priority ducks in a row...

Billy Ray

Well, I'm glad to know that it's not just me that didn't get this scene...and really still don't get it. Some good theories here but, honestly, it could be any of them or none of them. The scene just doesn't make a whole lot sense, almost as if they edited something out.

Montana Smith

I think it was simply Indy cutting the unseen rope, concerned that he was going to cut himself. His expression was a heavy handed attempt at audience/Mutt misdirection.

That it didn't work very well as a gag is a testament to all the other bits of the movie that didn't work very well either.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
I think it was simply Indy cutting the unseen rope, concerned that he was going to cut himself. His expression was a heavy handed attempt at audience/Mutt misdirection.

That it didn't work very well as a gag is a testament to all the other bits of the movie that didn't work very well either.

The scene is poorly written. I agree that the movie had some weak moments but to compare that scene to the rest of the movie seems harsh. At least I understood what was going on the rest of the flick. (Even during the scenes I wished I didn't )

Mickiana

What Montana is saying (I think) is that the knife scene is a microcosm of the movie's problems as a whole and if that is what Montana is saying, then I agree with him. The movie was poorly written, poorly thought out. It was lacking what we fully expect from an Indiana Jones movie. Look at the gag scene in Raiders where he shoots the Swordsman - that was improvised and it worked beautifully. The knife gag scene should have been simple to plug for a genuine laugh or two, but it just dropped into a script hole.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
What Montana is saying (I think) is that the knife scene is a microcosm of the movie's problems as a whole and if that is what Montana is saying, then I agree with him. The movie was poorly written, poorly thought out. It was lacking what we fully expect from an Indiana Jones movie. Look at the gag scene in Raiders where he shoots the Swordsman - that was improvised and it worked beautifully. The knife gag scene should have been simple to plug for a genuine laugh or two, but it just dropped into a script hole.

That's exactly it, Mickiana.

The movie as a whole was clumsy. Humour was often reduced to silly gags like the sand pit, monkeys, prairie dogs, or John Hurt's odd acting. It lacked the subtlety seen in previous adventures, but went instead for all out silliness. Lacking real bite as well, it seems more in keeping with one of those annoying children's cartoon movies.

I see all this as a loss of direction, or more likely a new direction. This is what Lucas and Spielberg wanted, so I'd rather they didn't venture into a fifth movie.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
That's exactly it, Mickiana.

The movie as a whole was clumsy. Humour was often reduced to silly gags like the sand pit, monkeys, prairie dogs, or John Hurt's odd acting. It lacked the subtlety seen in previous adventures, but went instead for all out silliness. Lacking real bite as well, it seems more in keeping with one of those annoying children's cartoon movies.

I see all this as a loss of direction, or more likely a new direction. This is what Lucas and Spielberg wanted, so I'd rather they didn't venture into a fifth movie.

While it is weak compared to previous Indy flicks I try to see it as not every adventure is the same. (it helps me cope) And my only hardcore issue with the movie is the over the top truck scene with the monkeys. Not Raiders (by a long shot) but I thought better than nothing. I still want another movie so long as its not a reboot. I expect George to make ridiculous stuff anymore. I went into KOTCS with super low expectations after the Star Wars prequels being such a disappointment. So it was better than I expected and therefore I don't hate it. But the truck scene and the monkeys do bother me especially since my all time favorite Indy scene is the truck in Raiders. So if Indy 5 comes out hopefully they will look at what us fans are saying and actually care about our opinions.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
While it is weak compared to previous Indy flicks I try to see it as not every adventure is the same. (it helps me cope) And my only hardcore issue with the movie is the over the top truck scene with the monkeys. Not Raiders (by a long shot) but I thought better than nothing. I still want another movie so long as its not a reboot. I expect George to make ridiculous stuff anymore. I went into KOTCS with super low expectations after the Star Wars prequels being such a disappointment. So it was better than I expected and therefore I don't hate it. But the truck scene and the monkeys do bother me especially since my all time favorite Indy scene is the truck in Raiders. So if Indy 5 comes out hopefully they will look at what us fans are saying and actually care about our opinions.

I understand what you're saying.

At first the very idea of KOTCS seemed ludicrous. I totally avoided it until I picked up the DVD cheap. I had low expectations, and as such was pleasantly surprised.

However, subsequent viewings don't help. It becomes harder to watch. It feels as though it should have had the tagline, "A series of unfortunate events" (!)

Where the '80s adventures had the backing of the '30s period setting, the '50s doesn't have quite the same charm for me. The presence of George's fascination with '50s hotrod culture was all-too obvious.

Taken in isolation some of the 'events' in the movie work very well, but bundled together into the story they went with, the film becomes poorly conceived, as with the knife-gag itself.