Hemble's Custom Indy Stuff 01/07/09

hemble

Hi All

This is my first Indy dio since being back from deployment so enjoy.

I decided I wanted to make a dio for my Hottoys Indy gear I picked up of the net. The only problem I had was what to make and my 8 yr daughter suggested that I make a jungle ruin dio since I already just did a desert dio.

So with the idea of the jungle dio firmly planted into the old noggin I started to get reference material of the net for ould jungle ruins and especially for large tree roots/trunks.

Once I got the reference material I wanted I started work on the dio, the dio once completed was painted and weathered using Vallejo and GW paints and pastel chalks.

RECIPE

1: Indiana Jones - The clothing, shoes, hands and bag are from Hottoys and the holster, belts are from Sideshow. The whip was made using a whip handle from Sideshow's Indy and leather coil strips and model boat string.

The Indy Head sculpt and fedora I got from Snyder-man over at Sideshow Freaks Forums. The body used for Indy is from ACI and is the slim muscle body from Kaustic Platik.

2: Base - The base was made from blue marine foam and was carved out to the desired shape. The walls are also made from blue marine foam and once glued inplace and let to dry I scribed the stone layout and once that was done I used a small piece of sandstone and pushed that into the foam to give it that natural stone look.

The wall reliefs again are made from marine foam and I drew a pattern on the foam using a pencil and then using a soldering iron went over the pencil outline to give it that chisled out look.

The larger trunk and roots were made using left over marine foam and cut to shape and glued inplace. Once they dried I then used alluminium foil and wrapped several layers together and then crunched that up and glued that onto the foam.

The smaller roots were made using alluminium foil and again ripped the foil into different lengths and then twisted them until I got the desired look.

Once the smaller roots were done I glue them inplace and again let them dry. When everything was dried I then covered the all roots and trunk using a mixer of plaster of paris and woodglue and applied the mix until I was happy with the look.

The moss on the walls and floor were done by painting the areas with a watered down mix of Dark Green paint and green pastel chalks and and applying the mix over the walls.

Once the mix dried I then used ground up lichen moss and dapped the dried areas using PVA glue and then sprinkled the lichen moss over the glue.

The dirt is a mix of dirt from the back yard and garden potty mix, I used a potty mix that had broken pieces of bark and roots etc so it would look more like a rain forest floor.

The smaller shrubs are from a company called Army Painter and the come on a thin clear sheet and all you do is pull them off and place them where you want has they have a sticky base but I use a small amount of superglue as well to adhere them to a dio.

The larger bushes and vines I picked up from the local pet shop, these are plastic plants and have been given a wash of dark green to give them a bit more of a realistic look. The two snakes I had in my bits box and I just repainted them.

Ron

lt1.jpg

lt2.jpg

lt3.jpg

lt4.jpg

lt5.jpg

lt6.jpg

lt7.jpg

lt8.jpg

lt9.jpg

lt10.jpg

Canyon

Wow! Hemble, that Well of Souls diorama is absolutely spectacular and your latest work is absolutely magnificent!!! (y) (y) (y) The eighth picture along looks just like Harrison!!!

Kudos to you!!! :hat:

Canyon

hemble said:
Hi All,

Canyon - Great to hear from you and hope all is well and thanks for the kind words.

Ron

Ron, so sorry for the late reply. It's great to see you too! Many thanks! :hat:

hemble

Hi All

It's not Indy but I thought that you guys would enjoy it.

This dio was the inspiration of this artwork (below) from a fantastic artist Alexey Samokhin and you can find is others works here www.mexart.ru.

ancient_waterfall__by_sidxartxa-d5lo4w9.jpg

While I was searching for reference material for a dio I want to make I came across the above artwork of a Mayan/Aztec looking structure with a waterfall coming out of it, I totally loved the look of the artwork and contacted Alexey Samokhin and asked would he mind me making his artwork into a diorama.

Alexey was more then happy with me making his artwork into a diorama and with a little customizing interpertation the diorama was made. I decided to make the dio into a glass/shadowbox display as I wanted to make it look like it had depth to it.

I have to thank Alexey for allowing to make his wonderful artwork into a diorama I had a great time making it and if you like to see more of Alexey's amazing work just hit the link above.

RECIPE

The Figure - The figure is made of the lower legs of a Hasbro's Indiana Jones Ugha Warrior, torso from Cemetery Warrior. The arms are from Hasbro's Star Wars Dagobah look and the head is from a Clonetrooper and the hands I got from the bits box.

The spear is made from plasticard, cardboard and model ship rope. The necklace is made using plasticard and model ship rope, the head piece was made using thinly cut pieces of marine foam. and the loin cloth and wrist and arm bands are made using pieces of left over cloth from the bits box.

The Base - was made frame was made using a picture frame from a two dollar shop, balsa wood and foamcore. the structure and stone work stream were made using High Density foam, I drew the design onto the foam and then with a led pencil scribed over the areas I had marked out.

The stone head was cut out from High Density foam and then carved into shape and was glued inplace I used a piece of sandstone and pushed that into the foam to give it a natural stone look.

The ground work was built up using plastacine and plaster and once dry I painted the ground and then used dried out potty mix to cover it. The palms trees were and other plants were picked up from the local pet shop, the palms were for a lizard inclosure and had to be repainted and then cut to look like palms. The palm trunks are real pieces of branches I got from the front garden and are perefect as they look like real palm trees.

The waterfall was made using woodland scenics water affects and the steam was done by using woodland scenics realistic water and PVA glue. The white froth affects on the water fall and stream were done by using a little watered down white paint. The hanging vines are pieces of vine a got from a florist, they come in large buddles and I just cut off pieces I wanted.

Once the base work had been done I got on the net and downloaded and printed off some backdrops and glued them inplace to give the diorama a little more depth.

aw1.jpg

aw2.jpg

aw3.jpg

aw4.jpg

aw5.jpg

aw6.jpg

aw7.jpg

aw8.jpg

aw9.jpg

aw10.jpg

aw11.jpg

aw12.jpg

Ron

hemble

Hi All,

throwmetheidol & Montana Smith - Thanks guys glad you like it and I plan on doing a few other shadow box dios in the future.

Ron

hemble

Hi All,

While I'm waiting for materials to arrive so I can build my 1/6 Boulder Chase diorama I decided that I would give Sideshows Pursuit of the Ark a go using a 3-3/4" Hasbro Deluxe horse figure. Once the diorama and figures were done they were both painted using Vallejo and GW paints and weathered using Vallejo Paints and Pastel Chalks.

RECIPE

1: Figure & Horse - The horse is from Hasbro's Indiana Jones Deluxe and the joints have been repositioned and superglued inplace and once the glue dried the joints were puttied up using Greenstuff. The saddle and stirrups are also from the deluxe set and have been repainted, the stirrups have had thins strips of leather added to them.

The bridle, reins and leather fasteners are again thins strips of leather cut and glued inplace and the small buckles on the bridle have been cut off the plastic deluxe set sanded down and glued inplace.

The figure is a combo of the legs and arms are from the Indy and Horse deluxe set, the torso is from the KOTCS Indy figure and the head is from the TOD Indy. The whip, belt/holster and bag are also from the Indy and Horse Deluxe set.

2: Base - The base I got from the local craft shop and the mound was built up using left over pieces of high density foam cut out to the desired shape and glue on the wooden base.

The sand is a 60/40 mix of sand (60%) and plaster of paris (40%) and five tablespoons of PVA added to the mix, once the whole mixer is ready I started dabbing it over the foam and then with an old brush I dabbed that into the mixer till I got the look I wanted.

dc1.jpg

dc2.jpg

dc3.jpg

dc4.jpg

dc5.jpg

dc6.jpg

dc7.jpg

dc8.jpg

dc9.jpg

dc10.jpg

Ron

NickTurner

Very nice piece!

I honestly thought this was a 1/6 piece and was wondering where you got the horse from!

Excellent 'upgrade' from toy to model figure.

hemble

Hi All

cropdustdair & NickTurner - Cheers guys and appreciate the comments and NickTurner I would love to get my hands on a 1/6 horse and do this in 1/6scale.

Ron

Mickiana

Compliments are overdue, Hemble. I just recently looked through your whole thread. You can relive the movies your sets are so good. With your Desert Convoy Chase, are you planning to do the leap from the horse onto the truck? It is the image that inspired Lucas to come up with Indiana Jones and would be iconic for this reason. Are your sets ever on public display? I don't get up to Townsville much at all, but if ever I were to pass that way it would be great to see them for real.

hemble

Hi All,

Mickiana - Mate thanks heaps for the kind words there very much appreciated. And if you ever come thru Townsville if I'm still based here you'll have to drop on by and have a look.

Mickiana wrote
are you planning to do the leap from the horse onto the truck?

I actually am planning on doing a dio of that scene I'm just waiting for my deluxe Indy/horse set to arrive.

Mickiana wrote
Are your sets ever on public display?

I do display my sets from time to time in model competitions but other then that no other displays.

Ron

hemble said:
Hi All,

Mickiana wrote

I do display my sets from time to time in model competitions but other then that no other displays....

.... except the permanent display at Ravenwood Musem where all of Ron's creations (we're acquired) are on display for all visitors to see and admire (and they are very well photographed by guests)... :)

hemble

throwmetheidol said:
.... except the permanent display at Ravenwood Musem where all of Ron's creations (we're acquired) are on display for all visitors to see and admire (and they are very well photographed by guests)... :)

Hey Les,

Very true I do have quite a few customs at the Ravenwood Museum which Les proudly displays, I didn't forget you Les I thought Mickiana meant here in Australia.

Ron

Last edited:

Stoo

throwmetheidol said:
(y) (y) (y)
hemble said:
Mickiana wrote

I actually am planning on doing a dio of that scene I'm just waiting for my deluxe Indy/horse set to arrive.
Oh, man, I would love to see you do the horse-truck jump! No doubt, it would be as impressive as the rest of your stuff.

By the way, compliments on your "Ancient Waterfall" piece. I really like the idea of taking a painting & turning it into a 3-D diorama. Nice sense of depth in there and, best of all, you've managed to capture the water so well that I can almost hear it! This is museum-suited work (and if you haven't already done so, contact some museums to show them your portfolio). Extremely well done, Mr. Hemble.:hat:

Happy New Year. I'll show off your waterfall again because it deserves to be.

hemble said:

Mickiana

hemble said:
Hi All,

Mickiana - Mate thanks heaps for the kind words there very much appreciated. And if you ever come thru Townsville if I'm still based here you'll have to drop on by and have a look.

Mickiana wrote

Mickiana wrote

I do display my sets from time to time in model competitions but other then that no other displays.

Ron

Great! Looking forward to seeing that. If I do wander up your way I'll give a hoy beforehand. Cheers.

hemble

Hi All,

Stoo - Hey mate thanks for the comments and yes the portfolios are getting made up.

Mickiana - No worries mate if you ever do come up this way hopefully I'll still be here for some time.

Ron

hemble

Raiders German Troop Car 3-3/4"

Hi All,

I've been thinking of doing this vehicle for a long time now and finally decided to do it after watching Raiders on bluray. I decided not to give the vehicle any figures as I wanted to just show of the vehicle itself.

The vehicle and diorama were painted and weathered using Vallejo, GW paints and pastel chalks.

RECIPE

1: Vehicle is from the Hasbro Indiana Jones line and all in all not a bad representation of the movie vehicle. I made a few alterations by cutting the lights and mirrors off and removing the plastic/rubber holdings and adding new ones using plasticard and metal photo etched strips.

The seats and roof were covered with two layer of tissue paper by using diluted PVA glue. The MG34 machine was made by using the end of a Star Wars weapon (sorry can't remember which one) and the barrel of a Sandtrooper MG - 15 Blaster, the ammunition canister I used from a 1/18 German MG42.

The MG mount was made using plasticard and 1/35 scale parts I got from the bits box and I cut the right hand side windscreen simulating were the German soldier went thru it by using a model knife.

2: Base - The base was cut from some left over High Density foam I had lying around. The base was done by mixing 60% sand-40% plaster of paris and five tablespoons of PVA.

Once mixed I scribbed the foam with a model knife so the mixer would adhere better and then started applying the mixer to the base.

Once the mixer was added I started to use a damp medium size brush and spread out the mixer until I got the look I wanted, I used a flat head srewdriver and slightly pushed it into the mixer to simulate tyre tracks.

The mixer was left to dry and once dry it was painted, I added a few small tufts of grass which I got from Army Painter and the tall dry bundles of grass are bristles from and old paint brush which have been cut to size and then the bottoms glued and then inserted into the base and then painted.

Ron

rt1.jpg

rt2.jpg

rt3.jpg

rt4.jpg

rt5.jpg

rt6.jpg