Who would win in a fight between...

WhipItGood

Given how the mechanic sees Indy and challenges him to fight instead of turning him in right away, I've always figured the mechanic was in it to brawl, almost for sport. So I'd guess he would have beaten Indy down in a fight, then turned him over to soldiers once Indy was out for the count.

oki9Sedo

WhipItGood said:
Given how the mechanic sees Indy and challenges him to fight instead of turning him in right away, I've always figured the mechanic was in it to brawl, almost for sport. So I'd guess he would have beaten Indy down in a fight, then turned him over to soldiers once Indy was out for the count.

Oh I knew he was just fighting him for sport. What I meant was do you think he'd have gotten bored eventually and just turned him in, or kept on going until Indy was dead?

WhipItGood

Like I said, he would have probably knocked Indy out and once the fun of the fight was over, he'd let the soliders lock Indy up.

1ord3vil

WhipItGood said:
Given how the mechanic sees Indy and challenges him to fight instead of turning him in right away, I've always figured the mechanic was in it to brawl, almost for sport.
Yes, and it's not like the scriptwriters might just have written the script that way simply because it was appropriate for the flow of the movie... Besides, you're wrong, because the mechanic was really the shapeshifted mother in law of the blob and she would have devoured Indy if she hadn't been sliced into tiny red jellyfish by the propeller.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
1ord3vil said:
Yes, and it's not like the scriptwriters might just have written the script that way simply because it was appropriate for the flow of the movie... Besides, you're wrong, because the mechanic was really the shapeshifted mother in law of the blob and she would have devoured Indy if she hadn't been sliced into tiny red jellyfish by the propeller.

Yeah, but all the characters are written, and there's more than one way to have a movie flow. The characters are as they are portrayed. It's reasonable enough to take about motivations.

1ord3vil

Attila the Professor said:
It's reasonable enough to take about motivations.
Sure, the scriptwriters' motivations. The motivations of the characters are whatever you happen to think they are.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
1ord3vil said:
Sure, the scriptwriters' motivations. The motivations of the characters are whatever you happen to think they are.

Hah, no. That's not even true for actors. Writers write things a certain way, but in a good work, at some point, the characters take over (listen to Edward Albee talk about "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" sometime). Just because the character of the mechanic serves a "fight scene" purpose doesn't mean he doesn't have clear characteristics.

1ord3vil

Hah yes. If the motivations aren't written explicitly into the story or otherwise somehow implied, the motivations of the characters are whatever anyone think they are.
Just because the character of the mechanic serves a "fight scene" purpose doesn't mean he doesn't have clear characteristics.
Of course, I never claimed the above. Anyway, the mechanic's motivations are still whatever I think they are though.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
1ord3vil said:
Hah yes. If the motivations aren't written explicitly into the story or otherwise somehow implied, the motivations of the characters are whatever anyone think they are.

That is implied. There are lots and lots of soldiers about. If the mechanic didn't want to fight, he wouldn't have to.

1ord3vil

That is implied. There are lots and lots of soldiers about. If the mechanic didn't want to fight, he wouldn't have to.
Not implied. It merely makes him a character who for some reason fought Indy rather than opting out. Feel free to speculate wildly about his motivations for doing so.

Last edited:

DoomsdayFAN

Cause he knew he could kick his a$$. ^^^

I GOT IT!

The German's have hired all the India diggers (Not knowing about the children diggers).

The Mechanic sees the Thuggee whipping someone. He goes over to investigate. He sees that the enormus thuggee is whipping tiny children. He angrily begins walking up to him.

Mechanic: Hey! Hey you!

The Thuggee looks over at the German.

Mechanic: Yes you. (Putting up his fists) Come here! Right now!

The Thuggee drops his whip and dons an ominous smile, then confidently begins walking over to the German.

Mechanic: Put up your fists! Come on!

The thuggee puts up his fists. THE FIGHT IS ON!!! (y)

oki9Sedo

1ord3vil said:
It merely makes him a character who for some reason fought Indy rather than opting out..

His reasons for fighting Indy are very clear.....he strolls up to, strutting his stuff and loosening up his arms, laughing and mocking Indy and challenging to fight. He even only uses his fists in order to show Indy that he could absolutely destroy him if he wanted to.

He even pulls Indy off the ground onto his feet a couple of times.

Its sport for him, and thats all made clear by the way the scene is played out.

1ord3vil

What qualifies as substantiated implication for you, then, if what oki9Sedo has put forth does not?
It depends on the situation, so it's hard to generalize. In this case it could well be a case of someone actively looking for trouble, but other than that... well, let's just say I don't really care enough to speculate about the motives. And this is where personal opinions will tend to diverge quickly anyway, which was my point.

Not saying there anything wrong with what you suggested, on the contrary. But like I said it's not the only explanation.

oki9Sedo

1ord3vil said:
It depends on the situation, so it's hard to generalize. In this case it could well be a case of someone actively looking for trouble, but other than that... well, let's just say I don't really care enough to speculate about the motives. And this is where personal opinions will tend to diverge quickly anyway, which was my point.

Not saying there anything wrong with what you suggested, on the contrary. But like I said it's not the only explanation.

You didn't counteract anything I said in my previous post, you just made a snarky "And so the speculation continues...." comment.

I might add that nothing I said was speculation, it was fact. He doeslaugh and mock Indy. He does loosen his arms in a cocky fashion as he approaches him. He does stroll up to him casually. He does only use his fists throughout the fight.....

1ord3vil

oki9Sedo said:
You didn't counteract anything I said in my previous post, you just made a snarky "And so the speculation continues...." comment.
You simply made snarky claims, not putting forth any arguments. No need to argue against that. He could "clearly" have done the same things for a number of other reasons than those you stated.

oki9Sedo

1ord3vil said:
You simply made snarky claims, not putting forth any arguments. No need to argue against that. He could "clearly" have done the same things for a number of other reasons than those you stated.

.....such as?

1ord3vil

oki9Sedo said:
.....such as?
He could've done what he did out of a need to show off for his friends, to test his fistfighting skills, to see how hard he could beat someone up with his worked-out muscles, or for no particular reason other than being mentally unstable or angry etc, etc.

Damn, you made me speculate about this. :)

Don't get me wrong though, as speculation can be a lot of fun and it's partly why I'm here. I just don't think this is the most interesting thing to speculate about.