Reboot after Indy 5?

Z dweller

The Stranger said:
I'd say not many people would buy a recast, considering that we've already had a trilogy of films with the "original" Indy
Complete nonsense.

Disney are in this for the long term and plan to make plenty of $$$ out of their purchase.
They definitely won't care about the tiny, shrinking pool of old time fans who only want to see Ford in the main role.

After Ford bows out in the next movie, Disney will focus primarily on their target audience, most of whom barely know who the old geezer is.

Even here at the Raven, at least half of all active posters support a recast, including most of the mods.
Ultimately it's about caring for the character, and not the actor.

Lambonius said:
You TFA haters are hilarious. You make it sound like the apocalypse has arrived.
I agree.

And have you noticed how in most cases TFA haters = KOTCS lovers? :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Even here at the Raven, at least half of all active posters support a recast, including most of the mods.
It's pretty much a stance one has to have when agreeing to take the job. After all, you're looking forward to managing an active fan community, not curating a museum piece.

Raiders90

Idk, I think Harrison Ford has always been a big part of what's made Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones. But that's just silly old me. It's not like the guy starred in thus far all of the Indy films and so is the only relevant actor to play the role or anything. Not at all. Recasting that hack should be easier than anything. This is a new, digital age. We need a black, gay, transgender Indiana Jones.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Idk, I think Harrison Ford has always been a big part of what's made Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones. But that's just silly old me. It's not like the guy starred in thus far all of the Indy films and so is the only relevant actor to play the role or anything. Not at all. Recasting that hack should be easier than anything. This is a new, digital age. We need a black, gay, transgender Indiana Jones.

That strawman got burnt.

2c45e-wizard_of_oz_1360_scarecrow_on_fire.jpg

Walecs

Z dweller said:
Complete nonsense.

Disney are in this for the long term and plan to make plenty of $$$ out of their purchase.
They definitely won't care about the tiny, shrinking pool of old time fans who only want to see Ford in the main role.

After Ford bows out in the next movie, Disney will focus primarily on their target audience, most of whom barely know who the old geezer is.

Ultimately it's about caring for the character, and not the actor.

I agree.

And have you noticed how in most cases TFA haters = KOTCS lovers? :sick:

That's because when I watched KOTCS I didn't feel like I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and it wasn't filled with plot holes and contrived coincidences.

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
That strawman got burnt.

2c45e-wizard_of_oz_1360_scarecrow_on_fire.jpg

Why do you hate Harrison Ford? Is SPF your favorite Indy? It's just odd that moderators of an "Indiana Jones fansite" (which really has become a Harrison Ford hate site) hate and despise the only man who has starred as Indiana Jones on the big screen. Very, very odd. But...Nolanists are strange beasts. Not human, I make that clear. Beasts.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Why do you hate Harrison Ford? Is SPF your favorite Indy? It's just odd that moderators of an "Indiana Jones fansite" (which really has become a Harrison Ford hate site) hate and despise the only man who has starred as Indiana Jones on the big screen. Very, very odd. But...Nolanists are strange beasts. Not human, I make that clear. Beasts.

Sorry, let me make my point clear: you're battling a straw man. That is, you're arguing against a position that <I>nobody here</I> holds.

Whatever the very real merits of increased representation and inclusion for black, gay, and transgender characters in mainstream film, I haven't noticed a wellspring of support for Indiana Jones being one such character.

I, for one, am interested to see Spielberg, Ford, and, to a lesser extent, Lucas are going to produce this time. My fellow moderators are too. I think Ford is a very capable actor in the right part; it sounds like an odd thing to praise, but the exposition scene in <I>Raiders</I> is probably the best of its kind, and that's down to the director, the screenwriter, and the four actors in the scene, Ford foremost among them.

Supporting an eventual recast, or even an immediate one, has no necessary connection to finding fault with Ford's work in the part. As you go to such great pains to point out, feeling that way about Ford's performance as Indy and yet persisting in visiting this corner of the internet would be an absurdity.

Oh, and Chris Nolan? I like his take on superhero material, but feel he generally produces overly portentous, airless films that employ great actors as mannequins with speaker-boxes putting forth ideological slogans, presented in opposition to one another. He's not a major figure.

Last edited:

Raiders90

You have to understand; I don't trust anyone who doesn't share my views. I distrust all who don't agree with me. Everyone has their own agendas. And with that, I take my leave of here. I still have my original films, and most people are fans of Harrison Ford. I take comfort in that. And in the fact that I will be vindicated when we get a great film in 2019.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
You have to understand; I don't trust anyone who doesn't share my views. I distrust all who don't agree with me. Everyone has their own agendas.
A great springboard for joining a discussion forum.

And with that, I take my leave of here.
If only... :rolleyes:

Duaner

Indy Jones said:
The new adventures will be set in and around the existing films/TV films and (hopefully) novels. I'd hate to see any of the Bantam novels be thoroughly invalidated.

Fat chance they work anything around the novels. They completely wiped away 25 years of Star Wars novels before The Force Awakens and many of those plots/characters were as meaningful to fans as the Original Trilogy ones. I guarantee it will be the same for Indy: the four films and the TV series are canon - everything else is just a "legend".

Indy Jones

Duaner said:
Fat chance they work anything around the novels. They completely wiped away 25 years of Star Wars novels before The Force Awakens and many of those plots/characters were as meaningful to fans as the Original Trilogy ones. I guarantee it will be the same for Indy: the four films and the TV series are canon - everything else is just a "legend".

It hasn't been officiated for Indiana Jones though. I believe they'd probably do it, but since the Indy "EU" is barely expansive (Hell, compared to SW it's nonexistent), they won't make a sweeping statement about it--it'll be a case of "the books and games fit into continuity until a new film contradicts one of them."

SW's EU was huge enough they had to deal with it. Maybe we'll be lucky, and with IJ they'll decide that it's so small that they'll work with it. Maybe. Or the new films could be based on the Bantam novels? That'd be pretty damn cool.

Finn

Staff member
Indy Jones said:
It hasn't been officiated for Indiana Jones though. I believe they'd probably do it, but since the Indy "EU" is barely expansive (Hell, compared to SW it's nonexistent), they won't make a sweeping statement about it--it'll be a case of "the books and games fit into continuity until a new film contradicts one of them."
Pretty much this. This whole question about what happens to Indy's EU if new films are made with a younger actor is no question at all - because there is NOT any consistent Indy EU. Every author working on a novel, comic or video game has pretty much used the following guideline: Don't contradict anything that's been stated in the movies. That's it. (Yet some have managed even that.) Naturally most authors will also try to establish their own works in a consistent continuity. But there is no person like Leland Chee who keeps the extended Indy material in check in the manner he does (did?) with Star Wars.

Last edited:

Duaner

Indy Jones said:

SW's EU was huge enough they had to deal with it. Maybe we'll be lucky, and with IJ they'll decide that it's so small that they'll work with it. Maybe. Or the new films could be based on the Bantam novels? That'd be pretty damn cool.

Some of the novels actually would make darn good movies. (Probably a thread about that somewhere). I would just be really surprised if they acknowledged the existence of them at all. Definitely true though that they won't need to do any major announcements like they had to with Star Wars being that the "Indy EU" is rather small. Though if they don't wind up being canon, it really does not bother me (it didn't for Star Wars either). Those stories still exist. We don't need to get rid of our old books because they are not canon. We can still go back and enjoy those stories. There were some really good ideas in a lot of the novels that I would not mind to see harvested and used in a future Indy film.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Wonder if a reboot will end up finally putting the Secret of the Sphinx/Emperor's Tomb conflict over Qin Shi Huang's tomb out of its misery. Those two certainly put the lie to any notion of even high-level EU being internally consistent with itself.

At least KotCS in theory preserve the possibility for McCoy's crystal skull thread to remain canon, to my recollection.

Drones33

Raiders112390 said:
You have to understand; I don't trust anyone who doesn't share my views. I distrust all who don't agree with me. Everyone has their own agendas. And with that, I take my leave of here. I still have my original films, and most people are fans of Harrison Ford. I take comfort in that. And in the fact that I will be vindicated when we get a great film in 2019.

Wow. Quite extreme.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Post Indy V: Keep original continuity, or reboot?

So a question -

After Indy V is said and done, it is likely Disney will want to milk the franchise for all its worth, which will mean a new actor. I am curious:

In your opinion, should a new Indy franchise (with a younger actor) keep the same continuity with the original films/tv series, or should it be a reboot, wiping the slate clean?

I ask because I love the original films, the novels, the games and the YIJC - as of now all of those are canon - And I wouldn't want to see a post=Harrison entry be in the same continuity yet decanonize at least the filmed stuff.

And if it is a reboot, how far should it go? Should it totally wipe the slate clean, keeping only the name, clothes, and theme; or a softer reboot ala Star Trek?

Walecs

Raiders112390 said:
So a question -

After Indy V is said and done, it is likely Disney will want to milk the franchise for all its worth, which will mean a new actor. I am curious:

In your opinion, should a new Indy franchise (with a younger actor) keep the same continuity with the original films/tv series, or should it be a reboot, wiping the slate clean?

I ask because I love the original films, the novels, the games and the YIJC - as of now all of those are canon - And I wouldn't want to see a post=Harrison entry be in the same continuity yet decanonize at least the filmed stuff.

And if it is a reboot, how far should it go? Should it totally wipe the slate clean, keeping only the name, clothes, and theme; or a softer reboot ala Star Trek?

Once Ford leaves the role, I honestly won't give a damn what happens next.