Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #51
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Look closely at Dent in the above picture. No make-up or CGI. He's not 2-face, just one happy little Aaron Eckhart.

Good spot. Maybe a deleted scene, just after a 109-year-old one-eyed man delivered a fully functioning Grail Cup Mk. II.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #52
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Woah since Indy was in the 50s did he put the bop in the bop she bop she bop or did he put the lamb in the lama lama ding dong?
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #53
Indy1Jones2
IndyFan

Those would have been great and harrison could have pulled it off. He still did action movies in the 90s as jack ryan or when he did the fugitive he was still in perfect shape, and could make him look in his younger 40s. I would love to have seen Spear of destiny or fate of atlantis. Great game by the way.
Indy1Jones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #54
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I'm hoping they redeem themselves, but as much as a long shot as that is I'm open to the idea of continuing the path laid out in Indy IV and driving Indy V right into the ground.

What the hell let go the restraints and indulge yourself! Make it a comedy with hints of adventure...

Indiana Jones the Wacky Archaeologist

Indy can begin the film trapped inside clown makeup...playing childrens parties.

Maybe a Hope and Crosby "Road" film for Indy V...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #55
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Maybe a Hope and Crosby "Road" film for Indy V...

Oh wait, Lucas already had a go at that a few years ago...

It was a bit of an uneasy mish-mash. Not quite the expected concoction...
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #56
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Oh wait, Lucas already had a go at that a few years ago...

It was a bit of an uneasy mish-mash. Not quite the expected concoction...
Laurel and Hardy?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #57
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Laurel and Hardy?

Laurel and Hardy and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I liked the bit where Ollie sent the iceman away because they'd had a new fridge delivered, only it wasn't a fridge, but a mode of transport. Then Stan went swinging through the trees like Tarzan with a bunch of monkeys. It was okay, it had it's moments, but it wasn't one of their classics.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #58
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Laurel and Hardy and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I liked the bit where Ollie sent the iceman away because they'd had a new fridge delivered, only it wasn't a fridge, but a mode of transport. Then Stan went swinging through the trees like Tarzan with a bunch of monkeys. It was okay, it had it's moments, but it wasn't one of their classics.
They really had to manufacture the: "Look what you've gotten us into this time" moment!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #59
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
They really had to manufacture the: "Look what you've gotten us into this time" moment!

After plunging down the thrid waterfall, and Ollie was wringing out his tie, he delivered the line, "That's another fine mess!" But he said it much better in trailer. I've no idea why they didn't use that version in the movie.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #60
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
After plunging down the thrid waterfall, and Ollie was wringing out his tie, he delivered the line, "That's another fine mess!" But he said it much better in trailer. I've no idea why they didn't use that version in the movie.
I thought I got it wrong...nice pickup!

Here's a teaser:

Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #61
Attila the Professor

Interesting that they originally had Mac presented as much more of a Scotsman...

Jonesy...I'm gonna be all right!
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #62
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Interesting that they originally had Mac presented as much more of a Scotsman...

Jonesy...I'm gonna be all right!

Now he would have been more convincing as a double crossing double agent.

KOTCS just went overboard with the scale of the cliffhangers, I mean this one was just unbelievable:

Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #63
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
KOTCS just went overboard with the scale of the cliffhangers...[/IMG]
Come on! In a world where magic like this exists:

How can you nitpick a stunt like that?!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #64
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Come on! In a world where magic like this exists:

How can you nitpick a stunt like that?!

I dig Indy in the wig disguised as Spalko. I'd forgotten that scene, when he had to fight off Dovchenko's amorous advances.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #65
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
I dig Indy in the wig disguised as Spalko. I'd forgotten that scene, when he had to fight off Dovchenko's amorous advances.
Harrison was cheated out of the Academy Award for that one...imagine putting on all that weight for a role!

Too bad the Scottish quotient dropped, but then again...Welsh/Scottish, just another form of mush mouth right? You end up saying more with your eyes...

Dont tell Terry Jones though!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #66
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Harrison was cheated out of the Academy Award for that one...imagine putting on all that weight for a role!

He deserved the award for virtually carrying KOTCS signle-handed, and never losing sight of the character.

A real trooper, Harry. We - who are about to cringe before a possible #5 - salute you.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #67
Moedred
Administrator

I'm looking for an old interview or article mentioned here:
Quote:
In May 1998, Mr. Showbiz spoke with Jeffrey Boam about the rumored Lost Continent script. He said that he hadn't heard of anything called that, in fact, he was told not to place a name on the script he turned in two years prior and had not heard anything about it since.
No sign of it on the archived site.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #68
Moedred
Administrator

Interview from 1996:
Quote:
Shortly after LETHAL, Steven Spielberg called with the Holy Grail of writing gigs (so to speak).

“I forget what he said, but it was something like, ‘You wanna get real rich?’ and I said ‘Yeah, why?’ and he said, ‘I think you should do the next Indiana Jones movie’,” recalled Boam. “He said he had to talk to George because George didn’t know me from Adam. So a long time went by, and I actually put it out of my mind. Then Steven called me for some other reason, and I said ‘By the way, anything going on for the Indiana Jones idea?’ and he said, ‘I think George is going to call you soon.’ So I got a call from George and he wanted to meet me at Amblin. I went over there, met with George and got along real well and the next step was spending about two weeks with George working out the story for INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.” The process proved to be very simple according to Boam. “Lucas had ideas for set pieces already in mind,” recalled Boam. “The whole thing in Venice with motorboards and the two hulls the motorboat gets crushed between was already in his mind. And what I brought to it especially was this whole Sean Connery thing. The father character had never been evolved. This was actually Lucas’ fourth attempt to do a third INDIANA JONES movie. There were two other writers who had kind of false starts, but nobody really tackled the father relationship or the father’s character, so that gave me a lot to work with.”

At the time of this interview (1996), Boam had actually done a couple of drafts for INDY 4 but said he couldn’t really talk too much about it. “George is very happy with the script and Steven is happy with it too, but the next step is to get Harrison on board,” Boam said at the time.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #69
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Independence Day came out in the summer of 1996...
and from whichever Crystal Skull documentary it was, we know that Independence Day killed the "earth vs flying saucers" aspects of a 4th Indy outing.
Though the thought that Boam had perhaps written an alternative idea for an Indy 4 film is intriguing, we can pretty much assume that Boam's drafts were indeed "saucer men" page one rewrites... and then the project was dead in the water for many many years.

Still would love to get my hands on a Boam or Nathanson draft... if anyone is thinking of a Christmas present for the doctor.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #70
Raiders112390
IndyFan

I thought I'd bump this thread to ask:

Has this one ever emerged?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #71
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

It hasn't and it's too bad, because we can't judge Lucas's flying saucers concept without it. The Jeb Stuart draft is valuable as a work-in-progress peek at the general idea, but since Lucas was not satisfied until Boam's final draft then that's the one we really need.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #72
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
We have threads on Indy 4 scribes Stuart, Darabont, Nathanson and Koepp. But Boam's attempt remains a mystery..

What do we know about the Chris Columbus work?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #73
Moedred
Administrator

Someone changed the Monkey King date from 1985 to 1995.
http://www.theraider.net/films/crusade/screenplay.php

Old 03-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #74
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
It hasn't and it's too bad, because we can't judge Lucas's flying saucers concept without it. The Jeb Stuart draft is valuable as a work-in-progress peek at the general idea, but since Lucas was not satisfied until Boam's final draft then that's the one we really need.

I find the 1949 date on the Stuart draft curious. I wonder if that was Stuart's idea or Lucas'? It's something I wonder since at this point Lucas had already shown Indy adventuring in the 1950s in the YIJC.

I wonder what it was about Stuart's draft that Lucas wasn't happy with.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #75
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I find the 1949 date on the Stuart draft curious. I wonder if that was Stuart's idea or Lucas'? It's something I wonder since at this point Lucas had already shown Indy adventuring in the 1950s in the YIJC.

Supposedly, the Jeff Nathanson draft also took place in 1949. I think the important thing to Lucas was that the story take place post-Roswell. Ultimately they chose 1957 to reflect the 19 years since the release of Last Crusade, which was set in 1938, but it certainly didn't have to be that way. Crystal Skull was the first Indy sequel in which the date was determined by the time between releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I wonder what it was about Stuart's draft that Lucas wasn't happy with.

We don't know the specifics, but apparently Lucas wanted Boam on the project from the get-go, but had to start with another writer due to Boam being unavailable. Here's Boam himself speaking on the matter in an interview from June 1995:

Quote:
JB: “I’ve been working on a fourth installment of ‘Indiana Jones.’ I’m just about done with the first draft. Somebody else had also tried their hand at it, and it didn’t work out too well.”

They always keep coming back to you, Jeffrey.

JB: “It’s nice, you know. Actually, George Lucas came to me to do this first, and I was busy writing a movie called ‘The Phantom.’ So I couldn’t do ‘Indy,’ because I had to do that, and when I finished that, George came back to me and said, ‘It didn’t really work out with the other writer, are you available?’

Last edited by Udvarnoky : 04-11-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote