TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #51
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

What's particularly weird about Crystal Skull breaking the tradition of a self-contained teaser is that it would have worked way better that way. The Roswell alien really has no bearing on the rest of the plot (they awkwardly have Spalko dismiss it as "a distant cousin, perhaps" in the tent scene), and being less explicit about the aliens so early might have preserved some sense of intrigue. Mac would have been better off killed in the prologue considering that the movie proved to have no material purpose for him for the rest of the movie.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #52
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I will go to bat for Willie. At least she has an actual arc, while Marion is just her spunky self the whole way through. And while The Spoiled Rotten Star may be a cliche, It's not like The Spitfire Old Flame is any less of one. The dimension of these characters is in the performances.

And for the record, Marion gets kidnapped more than Willie.

Oh, I should add for the record that I love ToD. I also think that Capshaw is fantastic in the role. But they made it SO hard to like her. The moment she appears onscreen, she's belittling Indy, the guy we all love, with a lame joke about "mommies/mummies". And I'd argue she doesn't really get an arc. Come the climax, she's shadowboxing ineffectually behind Indy whilst he fights.

I agree that Spoiled Rotten Star was potentially a great foil, it's the writing that's off. Any part of the character that does work is down to Capshaw, IMHO.

I talk about this at length here: http://chatflixpodcast.com.au/ep-60-...emple-of-doom/

/end not-so-subtle plug
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #53
seasider
IndyFan

Do's

- Shoot the movie in foreign locales when it's feasible or practical to do so.

-Consider shooting the movie digitally like an Arri Alexa 65 or Red 8K. Spielberg has used digital in The BFG and Ready Player One.

-Find a Macguffin easy to understand and one that people care about.

-Give Indy sidekicks who compliment his skills but the focus should always be on Indy.

-Just let Indy have fun and hold nothing back.

Don't's

-Use CGI in places that end up being distracting and take you out of the movie. (e.g The CGI trees and leaves in the jungle scene which was filmed on location)

- Try too hard to be like Raiders. Raiders was its own movie and nothing will ever top it.

- Hold back on the violence. We're talking about a franchise where people have been chopped up with propeller blades, had a heart ripped out, heads exploding, etc.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #54
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Dont:

Bring back Marion or Mutt.

Have too many sidekicks along for the journey.

Have Indy taking a back seat in some of the main action scenes.

Make jokes about age.

Be afraid of letting Indy use his gun.

Do:

Get back to basics of an Indy adventure with preferrably just one or two sidekicks.

Have a menacing villain.

Get back to the scope of previous films by using real locations around the world.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #55
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Do:

Make Indy the main focus. Keep the adventure party small and let Indy drive the adventure from start to finish.

Stick with a biblical or more common artifact that has basis in reality.

Include Sallah.

Have Indy use his gun.

Don't:

Make it political or push social commentary.

Use CGI any more than absolutely necessary.

Kill off Indy at the end.

Shy away from violence or intense images.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #56
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Do:

Make Indy the main focus. Keep the adventure party small and let Indy drive the adventure from start to finish.

Include Sallah.

Have Indy use his gun.

Don't:

^ This 100%!
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #57
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Do: Have Jon Hamm in a G-Man Role

Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #58
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Do: Have Jon Hamm in a G-Man Role
Great idea !!!
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #59
deepermagic
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Do:

Include Sallah.

Have Indy use his gun.

Don't:

I agree with this. I'll echo the "Don't" for political/social commentary. That might be my biggest fear, that Disney will use this as an opportunity to highlight an agenda that has nothing to do with Indiana Jones. Placing it in the '60's makes me feel like a social commentary (either within the story or as a meta-narrative) is low hanging fruit. Here's hoping they avoid that temptation!

I'll add a "Do": Keep it pulpy!

Keep the tone in line with the pulp feel from the first three movies. Don't allow the era to dictate the tone. Far and away I think that might have been the main thing that hindered "Crystal Skull", leading to a million minor bad decisions.
deepermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #60
hismasterplan
IndyFan

I see this fear brought up a lot on here. The 60s was a pivotal time so if they want an accurate portrayal of US campuses, they may not be able to avoid the political landscape entirely but that doesn't mean it needs to be spun one way or another, or promote an agenda (whatever that may be). It will be there visually I'm expecting, but won't go beyond that. Seeing protests against the Vietnam war around campus as Indy leaves for the airport would be an accurate image of that time and shouldn't bother anybody expect those that don't like seeing protesters at all. These things happened and there's no denying it. Now Indy leading campus walk out and Abbie Hoffman as his sidekick? Okay, maybe not!

I think it would feel strange for campuses to look as though they did in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, unless it takes place in the early to mid-sixties. Social revolution stuff was really 1967 and beyond.

Jones is a humanities professor and has been in a campus environment all of his career. He's used to seeing changes in society and I doubt we'll find him wary of social movements if somehow a scene addresses it. We won't see him debating or preaching anything politically. If anything, he may punch out a racist like he did in the novels (Hallow Earth I think). Don't think we'll see feminism as wasn't that more a '70s movement? The series could use more female characters though. Every girlfriend I've watched Indy with likes the films but one called them a "sausage party." Fighting words, I know but she had a point.
hismasterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #61
Lambonius
IndyFan

Indiana Jones literally fights Nazis. You're not going to see him at a MAGA rally.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #62
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
Indiana Jones literally fights Nazis. You're not going to see him at a MAGA rally.

He likes Ike.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote