Crystal Skull prop replica?

Indy's brother

Wow. To quote a friend, "HOLY FRIGGIN' GRAIL!!!"

skull2.jpg

I'm about 100 shades of envious. I had been very seriously considering taking this approach to my skull dilemma myself......until I saw this. I'm more than reasonably handy at almost anything I've tried, but I'm confident in saying that there is no way I'd be able to do one that approaches this level of detail. I'm going to have to start selling some possessions on ebay, I think........

Montana Smith said:
Indy's bro might have to do a job for the Clown, such as "kill the Burger King"...
He might have to collect the skulls of The Colonel, Wendy, Roy Rodgers/Arby, Carl Jr, The Burger King and The Dairy Queen, Greggs, Harry Ramsden's

...(and the heads of the other 13 "families") before his quest is complete. Who knows what happens when they're all brought together, (heartattack?)?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
He might have to collect the skulls of The Colonel, Wendy, Roy Rodgers/Arby, Carl Jr, The Burger King and The Dairy Queen, Greggs, Harry Ramsden's

...(and the heads of the other 13 "families") before his quest is complete. Who knows what happens when they're all brought together, (heartattack?)?

I see a movie in the making. Looking at the size of Lucas, he would appear to be the ideal backer.

Indy's brother

WTF guys, you talk about me like I can't even hear you.
*wipes royal gore off of self*
And I'm sure that I have no idea what you are talking about. Un an unrelated note, I'm on my way to to Wendy's®, back in a few

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
And I'm sure that I have no idea what you are talking about. Un an unrelated note, I'm on my way to to Wendy's®, back in a few

Rocket, stay very still and don't make a sound. The IB series of Terminators can only detect movement. It's the IDB series with the crystal skulls we really have to worry about...

Oh, he heard me!

Er, have with Wendy, er at Wendy's. Whatever...

:p

:hat:

Indy's brother said:
Remember extra ketchup! No cups...PACKETS.

Montana, last time he came back from a food run the ketchup had spilled in the bag, don't ask about the bones.

Allas poor Wendy, I knew her...

3716251264_9f149e9069.jpg

Indy's brother

Here's a small one from the 2008 New York Comic-Con, anyone got one of these?:

NYCCij-039.jpg

NYCCij-034.jpg

NYCCij-036.jpg

NYCCij-037.jpg

One thing they nailed in particular were the crystalline faults/cracks in the thing. I don't know exactly how big it is, but it's pretty dinky.

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
Check out this Sideshow Freaks thread for the ongoing progress of a 1:1 scale alien crystal skull.

Outstanding:

jawm.jpg

I'm guessing that there's no new pics up because of the difficulties of rotocasting clear resin with few bubbles. I read once that in KOTCS they had to digitally remove quite a few bubbles in the cast in post production. The jaw looks great because it's cast as a solid piece, but it still has the bubbles in it, negligible as they are. I'll be following this one, regardless. It's a hell of a sculpt, especially the detail on the teeth.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Outstanding:

I'm guessing that there's no new pics up because of the difficulties of rotocasting clear resin with few bubbles. I read once that in KOTCS they had to digitally remove quite a few bubbles in the cast in post production. The jaw looks great because it's cast as a solid piece, but it still has the bubbles in it, negligible as they are. I'll be following this one, regardless. It's a hell of a sculpt, especially the detail on the teeth.

It's going to be one hell of a prop if he manages to pull it off.

Your 1:1 crystal skull was impressive, too!

Howlrunner

It'll be an amazing prop once it's done, but I'm yet to see someone make a 1:1 version that hasn't been slapped with a C&D order. :(

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
It's going to be one hell of a prop if he manages to pull it off.

Your 1:1 crystal skull was impressive, too!

Thanks, Montana! Yeah, I love mine, but I have some issues with it concerning clarity and the resin that was left in each rotocast to settle in various areas inside rather than draining it. This guy did a better job with his cast already with the jaw. I've been researching like crazy ever since I got mine to figure out a way to replicate the look myself. It takes quite a bit, and it ain't cheap. I'd really like to see these guys pull it off!